Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tested the 1280x wader

Went to the ocean this morning, Robert Moses State Park to test the 1280x that I found in the dumpster, Hit the dry sand first, mind you I'am not a dry sand hunter but wanted to see what it does. Sensitivity set at 9 , discrimination set on 3 , volume set max at 10, ran very good and stable. Next the wet sand,only lowered the sen. ran it between 6 & 8, the black sand did not bother it at all, Next the water, chattered at 8 set on sen. lowered to 6 chattered abit lowered to 5 ran smooth. Dug 26 coins at depths from surface to about 8". Bottom line ,I like er, a little heavy have to belt mount the controls, it's going to be a good backup detector, Next week I'll take it to the notth shore & see how it does, there's alot of hot rocks up north. Then turkey season, opens thursday. Good luck to all & Happy Hunting.

[quote gobble-gobble]Went to the ocean this morning, Robert Moses State Park to test the 1280x that I found in the dumpster, Hit the dry sand first, mind you I'am not a dry sand hunter but wanted to see what it does. Sensitivity set at 9 , discrimination set on 3 , volume set max at 10, ran very good and stable. Next the wet sand,only lowered the sen. ran it between 6 & 8, the black sand did not bother it at all, Next the water, chattered at 8 set on sen. lowered to 6 chattered abit lowered to 5 ran smooth. Dug 26 coins at depths from surface to about 8". Bottom line ,I like er, a little heavy have to belt mount the controls, it's going to be a good backup detector, Next week I'll take it to the notth shore & see how it does, there's alot of hot rocks up north. Then turkey season, opens thursday. Good luck to all & Happy Hunting.[/quote]

Glad to hear it ran good for you wtg. Not bad for a free detector. I was worried it had issues but after hearing your results, sounds like a keeper congrats:thumbup:

Glenn

I am not familiar with the 1280X, but if it's anything like the CZ21, then I would never consider running the Disc higher than 1, if you like gold that is. I would certainly think 3 would cut most gold out of the equation, BE CAREFUL using too much! Go over that same area on 1 and see what all you missed. Pull-tabs and gold will come in and you will see what you were missing, may surprise you mate!

[quote Gulf Hunter]I am not familiar with the 1280X, but if it's anything like the CZ21, then I would never consider running the Disc higher than 1, if you like gold that is. I would certainly think 3 would cut most gold out of the equation, BE CAREFUL using too much! Go over that same area on 1 and see what all you missed. Pull-tabs and gold will come in and you will see what you were missing, may surprise you mate![/quote]

Good looking out GH you are right to not use too much but it's different with the 1280X, not at all like to CZ20 or CZ21.
The small gold starts to get crackly sounding with the disc as high as 5 with the 1280X. In a real trashy area I'm at 3 1/2 max ever, lower of course at those rare clean beaches.
HH
Glenn

WOW, that IS substancially different! I would have thought them to be very similar, in that regard. TY for setting me straight Glenn.

Very nice for a free backup detector. Glad it works for you. Unbelievable that somebody just tossed it!!

Never operated the 1280, but a friend has one and found a gold chain which my CZ 20 would not even make a sound on at no disc. So I know it has to be a killer machine on dry sand or fresh water. Was told it false to much for salt water, don't know.

My 1280-x only falsed in the soup at salty beachy...

Deeper water and submerged would probably be fine.

Sold my 10 1/2 coil version, and bought an 8 for a bit better handling in the wave action.

Congrats on finding a freebie MD of good quality!

HH
rmptr

Hi Gobble-Gobble (how do we come up with these titles?)

Thought to chime in here. Have used the Aquanaut 1280 since first produced back in the later '80's, ten and half inch coil mostly, freshwater lakes. Disc set to 3 and no more for iron trashy areas, it's an excellent discriminator in these conditions and there's no chance you will lose even small gold, other than fine chains. In deeper water away from close to shore small iron trash (nails and so on), try lowering your disc right down, you don't need it out there. Run volume where you're satisfied you won't damage your hearing, sens without falsing...although I find I like to hear some circuit noise to remind me the machine is still working when the targets are few and far in between; but even at lower sens levels, it has good depth for a VLF.
One peculiar thing about this unit I've noticed...may be wrong...it seems to me this machine has detected considerably deeper in submerged sand banks than it does in air. I know that doesn't seem to make much sense. Air tests are mediocre at best; but my method of removing firm sands in layers ensures I've got a fairly good idea how deep targets are located. Also, target sounds in water seem to have more "substance" to them, than in air testing...go figger! Take these latter comments with a grain of salt, they're unsubstantiated impressions only, but from 20 years or so of use. Good luck with the unit, Jim.

Hi Jim, yes I got more depth at the beach, then air testing, odd. Thanks for the input. I'll be useing the 1280 only in salt water, I go out up to my neck. The title been turkey hunting close to 45 yrs. just a name family & friends gave me growing up,