Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Texas colonial copper

Bell

Ok found this morning with my son. Ive been trying to hold back on my finds till I got the video ready to post but couldnt wait on this one. I know its an 1830 Mexican Zacatecas quarter reale. I have no idea of the value. Keep in mind its not a foreign coin find because in 1830 where I live was a part of Mexico. The back shows an angel ascending into heaven but I scratched it so Im not gonna show that one. Thanks for looking........
2010-12-05183411.jpg

Gorgeous find!! Wish I had some Texican colonial copper to dig! Don't worry about the ding on the back -- let's see it!

Thanks guys! Ok, here is the back, its a lot more worn than the front so you cant see too much.......
2010-12-05222326.jpg

And as long as Im putting the cart before the horse and posting some finds before I post the videos I will go ahead and show you guys this one that I pulled a couple of months ago......
2010-12-05205626.jpg

Nice find. I'd rather find a reale in CA or TX, than a more valuable US seated coin (from a challenge-perspective). By the 1850s, seateds and USA coins started replacing the Mexican/Spanish coins in our state. So you get a "stud-muffin" atteboy for breaking that barrier :)

Here's ya a little info I pulled off another site...nice find!

The era covered by these coins 1830-1836 falls into the period when the mint was operated by local authorities of the State of Zacatecas. The facility under this management reached its high point in QUALITY of production in 1829. Quality steadily deteriorated after that point until 1836 when the central government took over the operation. The mint was HIGH volume and dies were used until they fell apart. Dies in this era were NOT hubbed, but central designs were impressed with King Punches. Variation in small details is significant. There are by most estimates 1000s of die varieties during the 6 year period. You could go bankrupt just by saving every different die combination you could find from these 6 years.

Thanks everybody, and your right Tom, sites that old are few and far between this far west so when you get one its a big deal. In fact I believe Im the only guy who has ever dug a coin that old on our local forums.