Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thanks to the Dozer once again....

Va Dave

First time out in a month, a brief dig on a very small clearing, and almost blew it off.....but something said go fight the trash, dust, and heat.

Thanks for looking and Good Luck in your Digs,
Dave

[attachment 29923 pics015.JPG][attachment 29924 pics013.JPG]

What it is:
A US Ordnance Corps button ...which actually is not an Artillery button. The US Ordnance Corps was a separate and distinct branch of service from the Artillery Corps. (For example, it was in charge of issuing weapons and ammo, including bullets as well as cannon projectiles.)

This button is listed in the Albert button-book as OC3.

Well worth noting is that this one is MUCH rarer ...because it is gilted. The great majority of this pattern never had any gold on them.

What time-period it's from:
Depends on the backmark. If this particular pattern of Ordnance Corps button has "Robinson, Jones, and Co / Makers / Attleborough Mass" on the back, it was made between 1832 and November 1834.
If the backmark is "Wadhams, Webster & Co / Superfine / Wolcottville Conn" it was made between 1838 and 1846.
"Scovills / Waterbury" on this button means anytime between 1840 and 1851, when the Ordnance Corps' emblem was changed (shown in Albert as OC5).
An OC3 button backmark saying simply " * US * / Ordnance Corps" is 1830s. The McGuinn-&-Bazelon backmark book notes it was probably made by Scovill.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy (PCgeorge)

Harmonica reed, they are common finds in Civil War sites. Only once have I found a complete one with both reeds. Thanks for looking.

Dave

A civil war musical-instrument expert told me it's called a "reed-board." This particular model is for a harmonica ...and in this case the "board" is made of brass (I've also seen sheet-zinc ones).

Notice the long narrow slots in the "board." Each one of them held a "reed." A musical-instrument "reed" is a very thin and narrow strip of metal or other material, with only one end of it attached to the board, in a slot. Air blown across the reed causes it to vibrate, producing a particular musical note (which depends on the length of the reed). Notice that the slots in the harmonica's reed-board are of varying lengths.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy (PCGeorge)

Nice looking digs Dave, I think every time I saw that dozen I be on his heels!! Thanks for sharing those great finds!!
H.H. To All
Greg

Got some Cherry wine cookin myself.

Also, what is the large object on the left with the hole in the middle?

I have found several of those.