Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

That Louisiana Company who made BFO's working in the VLF range.......

John(H)

The only manufacturer in Louisiana that I can recall was Treasuretronics. Among other models they made the SST Pro Selectmatic. As far as I can tell this was the first discriminator that came on the market. I was told that this metal detector operates in the VLF range which would explain why it is so sensitive compared to other Beat Frequency Oscillating (BFO's). Anyway was wondering if there is any more info on this metal detector or on Treasuretronics??

The only thing that comes to mind about that metal detector is to find a 1970s issue treasure magazine. I went to my local book store and seen some old treasure mags. I think I saw an ad for one of those units.

....Now what would be better is finding a Field Test report on the SST Pro Selectmatic. That might have info that is not in any of their advertisements. I have a 45 year collection of old treasure magazines....so finding the ad should be easy!!

...I started this post cause I read on another thread that a Louisiana company produced a BFO working in the VLF range. Evidently the original post that I saw was wrong.....the Treasuretronics SST PRO Selectmatic works at around 440 KHZ. Kinda disappointing but still wonder why the SST Pro Selectmatic is so sensitive!!??

Doing some research, I found that there was a company in New Mexico that made a BFO model that operated at 10 KHZ. The name of the company was ECE and the model was BLF. Can not find any one who actually owned one.

Can't help you there Joe I've never heard of BLF BFO model, especially operating at 10 kHz.

Most of my BFO operate at much higher frequencies, 288 KHz on most Garrett and one rare Garrett at 455 khz. May be the last surviving 455 khz model, Garrett only made around 12 units then recalled them changing the kHz back to normal. Allan Cannon purchased one when he worked for Garrett but decited to keep it, glad he did he passed the unit over to me a few years ago.

Even the coils are special made for this rare model, and only work with the Garrett 455 khz BFO. If memory serves me right, I think Allan mentioned Garrett didn't pursue with 455 khz because it was too sensitivite. I Auctally like the extra sensitivity, plus it's probably the last surviving 455 khz BFO Garrett made.

It is by far my most sensitive BFO, Will pick up a tiny nugget that's how sensitive it is. In fact, Was using it this morning at a local school. I think the higher kHz makes BFO more sensitive, that's what I'm noticing. Have other brands, Whites and several others but Allen Cannon's old Garrett Coin Hunter 455 khz is extremely sensitive.

Good luck and hope you find more information on the BLF BFO model.

Paul