Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The APEX Performed Well At An Old Snow Dump........

John-Edmonton

Staff member

Here's an old area that used to be a snow dump. All the extra snow ploughed from the city roads would be dumped here during the winter, and allowed to melt in the spring into summer. This would be an excellent place to run my APEX through, as there should be tons of ferrous junk from cars, trucks, bottle caps etc. When I got there, I set up the APEX in all metal mode, multi frequency, 7/8 bars sensitivity with the iron audio volume set at five, then reduces to 3 for comfort. And, just as I figured, there was a lot of ferrous targets present. It was a plethora of constant low audio grunts indicating iron signals. The area was patchy with gravel spots and sandy areas. I omitted the sand, after finding it was two feet deep in places, guessing all the targets would have settled in the bedrock below. So, I gridded the area, and hunted for a couple of hours. I had to listen for those high tones, and those are the ones I dug up. I was fooled a few times, digging what I thought was a shallow target, only to discover that it was an old pop can buried deep in the gravel. Luckily I brought along an old spade shovel, as the digging was difficult at times.

I also set up my highbanker a few days earlier to see if there was much gold here.

Here the results after a couple of hours worth of digging. I am showing all my high tone signals indicating a possible high conductor......silver or copper. And, sure enough, I managed to dig up some coins dating back some 50 years. No gold rings and no old coins. However, I did get to dig these signals with a high tone amongst all the trash.

Lots of lost fishing tackle in these waters. Here's a couple of items of interest.

A nice specimen of petrified wood laying hidden in the gravel, and the flour gold I got a few days back. I hope the autumn hangs around for a long time up here!

Nice assortment of finds, John.. When I read forum posts I like to know what detector and coil and settings were used. In this case we know the Apex and the only coil, currently. But what frequency and settings did you use?

I don't have a snow 'dump' for hauled-off snow, but I am going to visit a ski slope or two very soon when I go to do some pre deer season scouting. By now they should have been worked pretty well where they use the plows and snow-throwers at the ski lodges, but I might still get lucky with the Apex.

Monte