Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Best of the Best

C.J.M.

As far as you known in years of detecting which detector at this present time is the best All around Detector ever made in the USA or foreign made and regardless of price :shrug: :look:

My 25 plus years of detecting has been an evolution. Like many, I started with a cheap Bounty Hunter Land Star. I guess that detector got me "hooked". After that detector and a couple of others(I did not have too much money at that stage of my life) I got a Garrett GTAX 750 and I started finding silver coins. After buying a couple of used detectors, I got talked into a Minelab Sovereign and when I figured that detector out, it was like "virgin ground" at my spots.

Enter Minelab Explorer XS. This is the detector that set all standards in my opinion. It took me a time to figure out, but when I did, the finds were unbelievable. For a 6 to 7 year period, I bounced between some sort of Explorer and Fisher CZ's-DFX's. I made good finds with the Fisher and Whites, but I was always mentally comparing them to the Explorer. Explorer always won.

I have had sever wrist trauma from a motor cycle accident and I always had problems with heavy detectors so when Fisher came out with the F75, I jumped on one. It was a very good all around detector, but I most of the time struggled with modern trash areas. I always had an Explorer of some type, but started bouncing around trying other light detectors. I found a Teknetics 8000 to be a favorite of these light detectors, but not as deep as the Explorer. While using an Omega, a couple of people convinced me to try a Fisher F5 and I immediately bonded with it. A great detector with surprising performance.

I kept trying others like the Xterras, Tejon, Vaquero,. When I wanted to try an expensive detector, I would have to sell the Minelab Explorer to buy the new detector. I did this so many times I forget how many I have had. I did this once to purchase a Whites V3i. Many times this detector does not get the love it deserves, but for some reason, I quickly bonded with it. The first two silver coins I found with it were both silver halves. At one time I had two Whites the V3i and MX5. The MX5 turned out to be my favorite Whites of all time. I had a 10x12 SEF on it and it was very deep.

I have forgot many of the detectors I have had, but my journey has been something I would not change period. When the Equinox came out, I waited months and months trying to buy one. I finally got a hold of used 600 and started making finds from my hunted out places. I would "shake my head in amazement" at some of the coins I was finding. But, I had a major problem with the Nox. The steep grip angle hurt my wrists( I have had 11 surgeries combined on both wrists) I sold it and bought back an Explorer SE Pro. This was a couple of years ago and I felt comfortable with the SE and made some good finds occasionally, but as I watched the forums daily, the Equinox was the "king of finds"

Last fall I told myself, "I would find a way to swing a Nox" and with that, I called my good friend Richard and bought a 800. I started experimenting with how I hold the 800 and after a couple of hunts found the secret. I grab the handle with two fingers, the small finger and the ring finger. The 800 is light enough to do this and I can now hunt as long as the rest of my body allows.

After thousands of dollars and thousands of hour detecting, and 25 plus years of fun I have a conclusion. My two favorites are the Fisher F5 and Equinox 800. I hunt mainly coins so these two detectors are the best coin detectors I have used. I will emphatically tell anyone that Minelab detectors are the best of the best. I don't always agree with their practices, but it is hard to "knock" their performance.

After 45 years of detecting, I'd have to go with the Equinox 800 as the best "All Around" detector I've used, and I've used probably only 50 or so different detectors. I usually have 7 or 8 detectors at a time always looking for the best for me.

Any detector can be tweaked some with coil changes. That being said I have to agree with the F5 for coins etc and the F75 for general get it mostly all type of hunts. At least this is all true where I hunt.

I have started in 1973 detecting and forced to slow down or quit detecting for health reasons, but I have tried many different detectors over the years. I like the whites MXT as it put the fun back in detecting, the Fisher F75 is my favorite Fisher. I used the Teknetics Mark 1 and once learned it I got some of the greatest finds in many worked out area. Along came Troy Shadows and found the X5 is the one I liked the best of the Troy Shadows and showed up several Explorers as I could ID better. On Minelab I like most of them and once I really learned the Minelab Sovereign XS I was told no way I was finding the coins in so many well worked area, so I took some of these people with me to show them what it could do. I used all the different Sovereign and for me the XS and the GT are my favorite. I used all the different Explorer and didnt do as well and found the E Trac worked better for me because I am very hard of hearing and tone change were hard to hear, as the Sovereign kept the last tone it seen so i went slower to hunt then do the Sovereign wiggle. I even went with CTX 3030, but didnt workout for me as there is too many controls to adjust or missadjust. I got one of the first Equinox 800 just before my health issue and used it less than 5 hours since I got it, but was learning it and the first find was a 1906 V nickle at around 10-11 inches deep in a well worked area that a good friend James(ND) had worked hard with his Explorers and missed it.
For me the Sovereign GT I have works the best for me as the tones and changing of them is easier to hear. I wish I could work with the Equinox 800 more and learn it, but unless my health gets better it just might have to go along with my Shadow X5, but think the Sovereign GT will have to stay when and if I can go out.

Rick

I have started in 1973 detecting and forced to slow down or quit detecting for health reasons, but I have tried many different detectors over the years. I like the whites MXT as it put the fun back in detecting, the Fisher F75 is my favorite Fisher. I used the Teknetics Mark 1 and once learned it I got some of the greatest finds in many worked out area. Along came Troy Shadows and found the X5 is the one I liked the best of the Troy Shadows and showed up several Explorers as I could ID better. On Minelab I like most of them and once I really learned the Minelab Sovereign XS I was told no way I was finding the coins in so many well worked area, so I took some of these people with me to show them what it could do. I used all the different Sovereign and for me the XS and the GT are my favorite. I used all the different Explorer and didnt do as well and found the E Trac worked better for me because I am very hard of hearing and tone change were hard to hear, as the Sovereign kept the last tone it seen so i went slower to hunt then do the Sovereign wiggle. I even went with CTX 3030, but didnt workout for me as there is too many controls to adjust or missadjust. I got one of the first Equinox 800 just before my health issue and used it less than 5 hours since I got it, but was learning it and the first find was a 1906 V nickle at around 10-11 inches deep in a well worked area that a good friend James(ND) had worked hard with his Explorers and missed it.
For me the Sovereign GT I have works the best for me as the tones and changing of them is easier to hear. I wish I could work with the Equinox 800 more and learn it, but unless my health gets better it just might have to go along with my Shadow X5, but think the Sovereign GT will have to stay when and if I can go out.

Rick
Rick, many years ago, you were the "go to guy" with Sovereign advice and I distinctly remember your advice helping me understand the Sovereign. Had to be over 20 years ago. Where does the time go!

To date the best Ive ever used is the Etrac. Its got great depth on the beach where I use it and can ID really well almost to full depth. Thats a big help.
I wish it was as light as my T2.

I liked my makro multi Kruzer when I had it. Now have an 800. Good unit

It's really hard for me to say what the best detector ever made because I haven't had the opportunity to own all of them however I have owned about 40 different machines since I started detecting in the 70's. I can tell you that if I didn't have any physical limitations that I would probably have another Etrac because it had such good ID at depth. I also would own another Whites DFX because I loved the tones that it produced and I found so many coins with it that I am sure I paid for it a few times over. I can't swing one any more so the lighter the detector the better for me. I am still fairly new to the Simplex but so far I have been very happy with it. I hunt the nearby rivers in the summer almost exclusively so waterproof is a big thing for me these days.

CTX

Attachments

• 4402B24F-46DE-4B0F-BE86-283950D654EA.jpeg
    4402B24F-46DE-4B0F-BE86-283950D654EA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
All around would be NOX 800,,, (IN THE RIGHT HANDS) after detecting since 1979 and owning about everything made. I stress you said ALL AROUND, if you had said some more specific tasks i might veer left or right a bit. But it will only be the best if you spend the time to really understand it's features and what it is telling you, and how to get the most out of it in every situation you are put in.

I could list the 20_+ detectors in 20 years of detecting but to keep it short it all boils down to the best would be the Shadow X5. Now understand I have not tried the Nox 800. That's just my reality. I like my Simplex but I would like to have an X5 also. That would really cover my hunting style.

Last edited: