Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The CodFisher Pulse unit.

Reg

Many of you not following the discussion about the deepest Pi detector might miss the discussion by Dave Johnson about the Codfisher. So I have copied Dave's post here and come up with a couple of questions. So, here is what Dave Posted.

---------------------------------------

"Back in the early 1980's, Jim Lewellyn (then the president of Fisher) got the idea that he wanted a fully static ground balanced discriminator. At that time I was prototyping multifrequency stuff and told him that motion was the way to go, we'd already proven that with the 1260-X. But he kept on begging for fully static operation, and I'd heard a thing or two about PI (although not seen any schematics or had a PI unit in my hands) and figured that with PI you could do it fully static-- again, not that I thought fully static discrimination was a good idea. His answer to my proposal to develop a PI fully static discriminator was simple-- "PI's are no good." He didn't know any more about PI than I did, but that much he was certain about.

So I figured out a way to build a PI and started bootlegging them when the boss wasn't looking. After a few rounds of prototyping I finally had something that worked-- not well, but at least well enough to illustrate proof of principle. Jim didn't want to talk about it. So, I realized I was going to have to trick him into capitulating.

I built a PI that looked straight out of an old-fashioned hillbilly cartoon. I wound the searchcoil around the rim of a wicker basket, tied it to a branch pruned from a sycamore tree, put the electronics in a little wooden dried codfish box minus the codfish on the other end of the stick, wired the searchcoil to the box with lamp cord, and instead of a real knob on the threshold control I glued a Pepsi bottlecap. Our graphic artist made a label for it that said "CodFisher". And, it really worked, fairly well by the PI standards of that time. About 7-8 inches on US coins, more like 6 inches in disc mode which was just a long pulse delay that lost everything below zinc pennies although iron still came through.

I took it down to the local fish store and worked out a deal with the proprietor Olga. We put a tag on it that said $10, and she put it on top of refrigerator out of sight of the public. If someone walked asking to take a look at a funny metal detector, she'd take it down and they could take a look. And if they wanted it for ten bucks, sell it to 'em for ten bucks and keep the ten. The kicker is that the only person besides me and her who would know it was there, would be Jim Lewellen, because I'd tell him. I was a regular customer and she was willing to have some fun, so it was a deal.

I told Jim that I'd seen a weird beep at the fish store of all places, he oughta drop in after work and check it out. He ignored me, and it, for two weeks. Finally he said, "Dave, I know you're up to something, just tell me." I told him, "Yep, I'm up to something, but the only way you'll find out what, is to go to the fish store." He went, saw it, cracked up, paid his ten bucks, tried it out, and that was the end of "PI is no good".

Several prototypes later we had ourselves a design that was almost ready for production. Fully static with discrimination, meter target ID, and manual ground balancing. He thought it was great and was shocked when the distributors told him they didn't want it. From that disaster emerged the Impulse for underwater work, and a return to multifrequency for land machines which led to the CZ which is still in production virtually unchanged.

The Codfisher-Impulse type PI's were patented together with multifrequency back in the late 1980's (award may have been early 1990's, I don't remember). Simple circuit, ran on a single 9 volt battery, fully static, stable, easy to add discrimination and ground balancing capability, no high voltages, no earth field pickup problems. I suppose that someone's published the Impulse schematic over on Carl's Geotech forum. The thing is so easy to build and get working right that I'm surprised that the hobbyist PI folks never took any interest in it. It's a lots better hobby project than the stuff I see them screwing around with over there.

From a commercial perspective, the end of the Impulse was the end of the Johnson PI platform. Within its limitations it works surprisingly well, but I know enough about its limitations not to be tempted to resurrect it.

--Dave J."

-----------------------------

So, Dave, I am wondering if the original CodFisher was more like a typical PI with the high current, fast shut off and wait to sample after the high voltage decay or did it still have the current ramp type pulses like found on the later impulse detector?

Did your initial design use a dd type coil or simply more of a mono design?

Finally, how difficult would it be to layout a simple block diagram of the most basic design?

With the ramp design, I am having a hard time visualizing how you could have a delay type design to ignore earlier signals. Guess I am getting old (older and senile).

Getting back to the moving of the discussion of this detector, this is part of PI history that has never had any discussion that I know of. This is just one unique pulse unit. Besides, it appears to have evolved to a PI with discrimination, which is something that is basically unheard of.

One more discriminating PI I would like to tackle after this one is Eric's PPD if we can find more info.

Having more information about discriminating PI's does add some information not normally known about PI designs.

Reg

Reg said:
-----------------------------

So, Dave, I am wondering if the original CodFisher was more like a typical PI with the high current, fast shut off and wait to sample after the high voltage decay or did it still have the current ramp type pulses like found on the later impulse detector?

Did your initial design use a dd type coil or simply more of a mono design?

Finally, how difficult would it be to layout a simple block diagram of the most basic design?

With the ramp design, I am having a hard time visualizing how you could have a delay type design to ignore earlier signals. Guess I am getting old (older and senile).

Getting back to the moving of the discussion of this detector, this is part of PI history that has never had any discussion that I know of. This is just one unique pulse unit. Besides, it appears to have evolved to a PI with discrimination, which is something that is basically unheard of.

One more discriminating PI I would like to tackle after this one is Eric's PPD if we can find more info.

Having more information about discriminating PI's does add some information not normally known about PI designs.

Reg

All that was a long time ago, Reg, and I don't have all the information at hand that you're asking for. Here's my rudimentary answers.

1. Not a typical PI, see the patent. The highest voltage in the entire system was the 9 volt battery. The patent also explains issues like ground balancing and discrimination. Sorry, I don't remember the patent number but it's probably listed on the ....ahem...... that other website..... that begins with a capital "g".

2. The Codfisher/Impulse system is ideally suited to mono designs because the receiver can be connected to the transmitter without concern over issues of high voltages. In principle a DD or other induction balance design could be used, as explained in my (Fisher) patent.

3. What I did back in the 80's wasn't as unique as folks might think. Other people (esp. Eric Foster) were doing stuff that was probably just as good although in different ways. Gotta remember that back then there was no Internet and you could be living a kilometer away from someone else doing the same stuff you were and not realize it.

Reg, I had a ball with the Codfisher/Impulse system back in the 80's because it's so easy to get it to work. With conventional PI, preamp design is a struggle, but back then I didn't even know what conventional PI was, I just did it my way and went through a whole slew of very different preamp designs trying to find an optimum and to my surprise nearly everything that I tried, worked just fine, it was hard to choose between the designs.

I'd be delighted to see folks dredge up the patent and the schematic and play around with them. But I don't have the time to help people on their projects, unless of course they are prepared to buy FTP-Fisher in which case I am at their disposal. I've already spent too much time on this, really I just wanted to tell the funny story of the Codfisher as a matter of metal detector history, I'll leave the technical details to those who want to pursue them using resources already available elsewhere.

--Dave J.

Error in story: the gal in the fish story wasn't Olga, it was Fatima.

I can sorta remember something that happened nearly 30 years ago, but when people ask what new products FTP-Fisher is gonna release three months from now, I don't know. My backwards memory sucks, but my forwards memory sucks even worse: thus it is with old age.

--Dave J.

Dave J. said:
Error in story: the gal in the fish story wasn't Olga, it was Fatima.

I can sorta remember something that happened nearly 30 years ago, but when people ask what new products FTP-Fisher is gonna release three months from now, I don't know. My backwards memory sucks, but my forwards memory sucks even worse: thus it is with old age.

--Dave J.

-----------------------

Your mention of the name Fatima and trying to remember something that occurred about 30 years ago reminded me of something that occurred about the same time frame as your initial working on the Codfisher. About that time, maybe a little earlier, I got a package from a friend who had moved from Colorado to Pennsylvania.

The package was a 6 pack of beer which just happened to have a picture of a Lady Fatima on the side of the can. I am not sure of the exact spelling but what I remember about the name of the beer was something like 'Old Frothingslosh' and had the statement this beer was known as the beer with the foam on the bottom.

It seems that a brewery in or around the Pittsburgh area produced the beer as some kind of promotional stunt.

Do any of you old timers living or who were living in the Pittsburgh area remember this beer? I think this beer was made about the same time as the beer that had the Steelers tribute on the cans.

I planned on keeping those cans but one by one they found new homes without my permission. I guess people were wondering if the foam was really on the bottom. If I had a can I would take a pic of Lady Fatima to maybe use on the label of the CodFisher metal detector.

The beer can story isn't exactly directly related to PI's but after all, a good cold one works after a long day's hunt, right?

Reg

Thanks Dave,

For those interested in looking into the technical aspects of this detector, the patent number is 4,868,504 Just google it and you should be able to download the PDF file for that patent.

Looking at the patent, I am guessing the detector wouldn't do that good on small gold but do quite well on coins and with the high energy recovery system, would be a pulse unit that wasn't that bad on batteries.

Now, I am wondering if using a DD coil and sampling the pulse on time one might be able to determine ferrous from non ferrous. That was something that was done on the PPD if I remember correctly.

Reg