Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

the coins keep coming

dfmike

I had a weekend off so off detecting In my favorite part of the woods I went. This is the result of a 2 day hunt of about 10 hours total. The Equinox did not disappoint once more. I found 15 silver dimes so far with this detector in a relatively short time. I found my first silver quarter shown here and my first large cent. The large cent is in a pitiful state unfortunately. I can see an ORI on one side which means that its Queen Victoria and on the other side I can barely get a 0 which would be the last digit of the date. So its either 1880,1890 or 1900. I decided to purchase Andre's pen tools and try to clean it up. I also found my second Roosevelt dime (1952) and a few Canadian silver dimes from the 30's, 40's and 50's . One of the silver dimes has King George the fifth on the reverse but unfortunately I can't make out the date at all. It has to be between 1911 and 1936. I also found about three dozen pennies from the 20's up to the 60's. Settings were park1, gain at 22, 5 tones, recovery speed at 3 (very heavy trash, no choice). The small 6 inch coil was used as usual for a place like this. To make more sense of the barrage of noise, I tried rejecting everything up to 10 but didn't like it. I continued using what works for me (everything above zero open). The noise helps me know if there was human activity about. The more noise, the more my chances of finding coins. The Equinox thrives in trash like nothing I have ever used.

I find just about as much trash as with my other machines but don't get fooled as much by bottle caps as with my Nokta. I get lots more rusty nails though. I have very little choice but to dig them up when they give me an occasional high tone and high ID. I found many coins that were partially masked by nails and if I had chosen to move away when the ID was moving around, I would have left the coins there. I find that most of the time when a coin is present with a nail, the ID will move around but rarely go very low or into the iron range. Sometimes I can get the small coil to ID the coin properly if I move the coil around at different angles and use a very narrow swing (3-4 inches). Still learning this machine. Like I mentioned before, the easy targets have all been plucked a long time ago. Almost everything I find now is partially masked. One of my silver dimes had a nail just above and another to the side. Many coins were recovered with a rusty bottle cap nearby. Fun times !

Attachments

• finds-nov001.jpg
    finds-nov001.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 115
  • finds-nov002.jpg
    finds-nov002.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 118
You did quite well! Where were you hunting?
In dense woods. It's now become a natural park. People mainly use the picnic areas and walking paths here nowadays but back in the day, it's quite clear that people were gathering all over the place (and drinking lots of beer !) About 80 percent of the coins I find here are from the early 40's. It seems like people were gathering here in the years just before the war. They probably knew what was coming and this might have been a place to escape their troubled minds.

I had a weekend off so off detecting In my favorite part of the woods I went. This is the result of a 2 day hunt of about 10 hours total. The Equinox did not disappoint once more. I found 15 silver dimes so far with this detector in a relatively short time. I found my first silver quarter shown here and my first large cent. The large cent is in a pitiful state unfortunately. I can see an ORI on one side which means that its Queen Victoria and on the other side I can barely get a 0 which would be the last digit of the date. So its either 1880,1890 or 1900. I decided to purchase Andre's pen tools and try to clean it up. I also found my second Roosevelt dime (1952) and a few Canadian silver dimes from the 30's, 40's and 50's . One of the silver dimes has King George the fifth on the reverse but unfortunately I can't make out the date at all. It has to be between 1911 and 1936. I also found about three dozen pennies from the 20's up to the 60's. Settings were park1, gain at 22, 5 tones, recovery speed at 3 (very heavy trash, no choice). The small 6 inch coil was used as usual for a place like this. To make more sense of the barrage of noise, I tried rejecting everything up to 10 but didn't like it. I continued using what works for me (everything above zero open). The noise helps me know if there was human activity about. The more noise, the more my chances of finding coins. The Equinox thrives in trash like nothing I have ever used.

I find just about as much trash as with my other machines but don't get fooled as much by bottle caps as with my Nokta. I get lots more rusty nails though. I have very little choice but to dig them up when they give me an occasional high tone and high ID. I found many coins that were partially masked by nails and if I had chosen to move away when the ID was moving around, I would have left the coins there. I find that most of the time when a coin is present with a nail, the ID will move around but rarely go very low or into the iron range. Sometimes I can get the small coil to ID the coin properly if I move the coil around at different angles and use a very narrow swing (3-4 inches). Still learning this machine. Like I mentioned before, the easy targets have all been plucked a long time ago. Almost everything I find now is partially masked. One of my silver dimes had a nail just above and another to the side. Many coins were recovered with a rusty bottle cap nearby. Fun times !
In the Minelab

The Minelab manual clearly states "don't tell how good the 600 and 800 Equinox are with the Minelab 6" coil." Great hunt. Really the best combination so far for hunting in trash that I've used. It's not bad at the beach or in the surf either. More good luck to you.

Nice finds dfmike!