Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Deus must be a 3 freq. detector only.

j piddle

Now folks don't get your bowls in an uproar.

A couple of points to ponder.

There are no factory programs that use the 4hkz freq.
If they are any note worthy custom programs using 4hkz freq. I can not find them .
I have Andy's superb hand book and it also has no programs for 4hkz freq.
I have ask on two different forums including this one and the response is almost none.

I have been told that the larger coil was need to use 4hkz______the Deus comes with the 9" coil.
There is no mention anywhere in any advertisement or the manual that states the above.
Have I been duped?
One of the selling points for me was 4 freq.
I know that it has a place on the Deus platform but am beginning to think that it may be really limited on the Deus.

Pac Man

I see the 4KHz frequency. I set it as my frequency. I save the program. I don't see the problem.

pulltabMiner said:
I see the 4KHz frequency. I set it as my frequency. I save the program. I don't see the problem.

Agree!
I guess if its not raved about on the Internet it doesn't exist?
I to, use custom program in 4khz and it works great! (On high conductors)
only limitation is the TXpower setting is only set to max(3) which can be quite unstable in mineralized ground or high trash areas.

It's very possible that the 4kHz frequency was originally intended to be used with the upcoming hoard hunting coil. Back when the 11x13 coil was introduced, it was rumored that the 4kHz frequency was meant to be used with the new, larger coil. Alain Loubet addressed this in a post on the French forum:

"With this disk as with 22.5 cm 8 kHz frequency 12 kHz and 18 kHz are recommended. (I say this because some confuse this great disc with an accessory output deep operating at 4 kHz with nothing to do, this accessory will be in 2014)."

Interesting that Loubet recommended those 3 of the Deus's 4 frequencies to be used with the 9" & 11x13" coils........

The 4 khz is great for checking targets and getting a bit more depth on coins. I use 12 myself.

Quick question. If the 3 khz coil is so hot on silver for the Xterra why isn't the same true for the 4 khz and the Deus?

When I first got the Deus I quickly made a program with the 4khz as it allowed me distinguish bottle caps with better accurarcy. Over time I found the 4 KHZ to be very susceptable to EMI and quite chatty. I have since started hunting (coin) with programs utilizing the 8 & 12 khz, but I still keep the 4 khz program adjacent to quickly check hits as to whether they may be trash or not. I agree with all you have said regarding literature out there and the absence of discussion around the 4 khz. I assume a lot of this is due to the intial market being Europe where the higher frequencies dominate. As time goes by and the Deus becomes more popular here in the states, I imagine you will see more discussion regarding the 4khz.

HH
Robert

If silver coins are your primary targets 4 KHz is the freq. to use It works very well on larger silver coins it gives a very clear signal and better depth ( Whites V3i has 2.5 KHz and is very good for deep silver coins )

As a fairly new Deus user I can only comment that I haven't made up my mind yet concerning frequency use.
My yard is heavily littered with various bits of iron of all sizes and I have been checking every signal in all 4 frequencies to get a feel for the machine.
So far my favorite is 18khz. Seems to work better for me on silver than 4khz in my ground.
I've come to conclude that sometimes there ain't no substitute for experience, regardless of what it says 'on paper' concerning conductivity and frequencies.
For me ill try anything until I find what I like best, and for now, that's high frequency.
Different site on a different day I may change my mind, which is part of the fun and the learning process.
Cheers

How is 18 kHz better for you? I see a lot of posts on how "this freq works better for me in such-and-such siutation", but I'm having trouble understanding that statement. My yard, too, is littered with various-sized bits of iron and some can slaw - and this limits my depth with my analog machine. I'm getting a Deus later this week and it should open up a lot of opportunities for me to start pulling silver out of my neighborhood, which is late 1940s early 1950s era.

Went out last night and almost froze the ends of my fingers off until I started finding some Wheats - found 5 wheats in all, and some clad and requisite junk, but I kept getting these choppy, one-direction whispers which has been my biggest hang-up with using the CZ-6 over the years. Most of them I've dug have been roofing nails, screws, and other assorted iron bits in various stages of decay. All five wheats were 4-6" deep, and sounded off clearly - so naturally I dug 'em. Some of the targets that were questionable and hard to pinpoint I marked with golf tees so I can run the Deus over those choppy signals and see what it says.

There's a school bus stop not 80 feet from my front door which I surveyed last night as well - took the CZ over to it just to see how many signals were present. I had the disc set at 0 and it sounded like the detector was getting EMI there were so many signals. I will have to grid off 4' X 4' sections and work it like that - the Deus will have its work cut out for it, but (and I may be way off here) I would think that with an area SO SATURATED with non-ferrous targets (I'm sure there's some ferrous bits too), that using 4-8kHz would actually HELP with an audio ID - anyone have any input on this? It seems that the house next to mine has NEVER been hunted, and the bus stop MOST DEFINITELY is virgin as well.

So, I guess my question is: What effect does freq have on target separation? I'm guessing that since much of Europe likes 12-18kHz that the higher freqs can "see through" the iron trash better, but what if that trash is non-ferrous???

I will be posting a vid hopefully of how concentrated the bus stop area is when I receive the Deus. Cheers!

I heard about the 4 khts being used for a hoard hunter coil but that's all I have heard .
Very useful info here about 4 khts being best for iron i.d. , will use that on some iron riddled beaches.

The coil footprint gets narrower as the frequency goes up, making 18kHz the best for target separation. They all get great target separation however, depending on how you have it set up.

CZconnoisseur said:
How is 18 kHz better for you? I see a lot of posts on how "this freq works better for me in such-and-such siutation", but I'm having trouble understanding that statement. My yard, too, is littered with various-sized bits of iron and some can slaw - and this limits my depth with my analog machine. I'm getting a Deus later this week and it should open up a lot of opportunities for me to start pulling silver out of my neighborhood, which is late 1940s early 1950s era.

Went out last night and almost froze the ends of my fingers off until I started finding some Wheats - found 5 wheats in all, and some clad and requisite junk, but I kept getting these choppy, one-direction whispers which has been my biggest hang-up with using the CZ-6 over the years. Most of them I've dug have been roofing nails, screws, and other assorted iron bits in various stages of decay. All five wheats were 4-6" deep, and sounded off clearly - so naturally I dug 'em. Some of the targets that were questionable and hard to pinpoint I marked with golf tees so I can run the Deus over those choppy signals and see what it says.

There's a school bus stop not 80 feet from my front door which I surveyed last night as well - took the CZ over to it just to see how many signals were present. I had the disc set at 0 and it sounded like the detector was getting EMI there were so many signals. I will have to grid off 4' X 4' sections and work it like that - the Deus will have its work cut out for it, but (and I may be way off here) I would think that with an area SO SATURATED with non-ferrous targets (I'm sure there's some ferrous bits too), that using 4-8kHz would actually HELP with an audio ID - anyone have any input on this? It seems that the house next to mine has NEVER been hunted, and the bus stop MOST DEFINITELY is virgin as well.

So, I guess my question is: What effect does freq have on target separation? I'm guessing that since much of Europe likes 12-18kHz that the higher freqs can "see through" the iron trash better, but what if that trash is non-ferrous???

I will be posting a vid hopefully of how concentrated the bus stop area is when I receive the Deus. Cheers!

It can perform the same with non ferrous as ferrous. That is where the tone breaks can help you. I have about come to the conclusion that for me when coin hunting that three tones may work the best not as busy as 4&5 tones.
Disc. At 10=low tone
And depending on what freq. you are running set your 2nd break 10 points below a wheat penny with a mid tone.
Also remember what the nickels Id at in the mid tone.

CZC,
I've been offline for a couple days, but to answer your question,
I just got the Deus in October and haven't got a bunch of hours on it. I've come to likethe 18khz best so faply due to my preference for the tonalresponsecomparedthelower freqs. I've checked targets with all 4 freqs crews and I simply prefer the shorter 'clipped' response of good targets. For me, the 4 kHz seemed to blend multiple targets and smear the signal just a bit.
Again, I'm far from being proficient and this is just my simple non-scientific opinion. Just my preference. The lower freq seemed to bang on iron way harder too.
My observations and preferences may change once I fully master the settings and get more hours in.
I have heard lower freqs hit silver harder. I get that. But I don't get hung up on those details at this point, especially when a great machine as the deus makes switching freqs a snap, thereby making the frequency issue a moot point.
Ill continue to use what I like regardless of what the books say.
Cheers

bik-il said:
CZC,
I've been offline for a couple days, but to answer your question,
I just got the Deus in October and haven't got a bunch of hours on it. I've come to likethe 18khz best so faply due to my preference for the tonalresponsecomparedthelower freqs. I've checked targets with all 4 freqs crews and I simply prefer the shorter 'clipped' response of good targets. For me, the 4 kHz seemed to blend multiple targets and smear the signal just a bit.
Again, I'm far from being proficient and this is just my simple non-scientific opinion. Just my preference. The lower freq seemed to bang on iron way harder too.
My observations and preferences may change once I fully master the settings and get more hours in.
I have heard lower freqs hit silver harder. I get that. But I don't get hung up on those details at this point, especially when a great machine as the deus makes switching freqs a snap, thereby making the frequency issue a moot point.
Ill continue to use what I like regardless of what the books say.
Cheers

That's a great insight - the "blending of tones" with using 4 kHz vs 12 or 18 kHz for signal separation. I only have 3-4 hours tops logged with my Deus so far, and what I've found by using it is that:

1. 8 kHz seems to be a tad deeper with all targets and least affected by the troublesome EMI I've encountered around the house.
2. Don't know if this is accurate, but it seemed like my Deus "adapted" to the EMI the more I used it and the machine became quieter and easier to use. I only have the WS-5 phones to control the coil, so I'm limited with my options.
3. I'm running Version 2.0, and I understand 3.0 and 3.2 are better at separation and iron-signal mitigation, AND provide more depth when running elevated Reactivity levels in trashy areas. So when I upgrade, I will have to RE-scan everything!!! LOVE IT!!!
4. I can now hit 7 targets out of 16 in my test garden! When I first got the Deus (last Friday) I could only hit 5 targets, and with the CZ-6 I could only hit 2
5. Pinpointing (I don't have a Pro-Pointer, or any other pinpointer) is a snap!!! Very easy to locate targets with this big coil - surprised the hell out of me. Remember I don't have a control box yet either...
6. Finally, using 4-tones (I cannot set breakpoints so I only have stock programs with limited controls) works well for me. I'm a "dig-by-audio" type of hunter, and this Deus really surpasses the CZ in terms of iron falsing...no doubt about that whatsoever!!!

According to some, I'm using the least desirable coil in terms of depth and target separation, and I'm happier than a pig in %$# so far!!! I'm finding a lot of stuff in between iron, under bottlecaps, etc; and I know that the future holds more depth and separation the more I get used to the machine AND with the updated versions as well as more modern coils.

I keep trying to push the headphone wires out of the way when I set the detector down to dig a target, and then I remember - old habits really do die hard!!!