Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Deus on gold . . . . . . fresh water sites

Andy Sabisch

Several people have asked how the Deus is on gold (jewelry not prospecting) . . . . . I have some input on that based on some of the hunting I've done with it on beaches throughout the South.

As you can imagine, the beaches have been pretty well picked clean since they warm weather departed and the hunters scoured the beaches once they closed for the season. Getting much of anything worthwhile is a job after a few months have passed and many of the Corps of Engineers lakes are lowered during the winter for runoff control leaving beaches high and dry so to speak.

Sorry but I don't have piles of gold rings that miraculously sprang from the sand as the Deus passed by but I did make a few finds of note (not really of great value) which show what the Deus is capable of doing in this area.

Since I was looking for gold and knew that the 18kHz would be the best option to find items in that conductivity range, I opted to give the DRY BEACH factory program at the fresh water beaches I visited. A few minor adjustments to fit my preferences and using the PUMPING option to set the ground balance (which then locks it at that level which helps the Deus from trying to balance out faint or weak signals), I was ready to go. At a few areas the sensitivity was a tad high (set at 90 by the factory) and hot rocks tended to cause more chatter than I was interested in hearing so I lowered the setting to "85" and had no more issues.

What I found was that most of the tabs were similar in composition and size and hence registered nearly the same so while I still recovered them as part of my testing and logged them, I could see that had I ignored them I would not have missed any keepers (at least that I came across or tested at home).

I did find 4 earring backs which gave noticeable, although faint signals that repeated . . . they were not on the surface which showed the sensitivity the detector with the 9" coil offered. The trick described in the video to ID bottle caps (sweeping teh tip across teh signal and bumping up the sweep speed) combined with bumping up the SILENCER value to "3" allowed me to avoid digging bottle caps which did tend to read like a coin.

The best find in terms of showing what the Deus was able to hit on the freshwater beaches I visited was a gold chain . . . . fairly thin and when I compared teh other detectors I had with me, the Deus was the only one that could hit that thin a target - the chain was actually pulled apart at the clasp and laying stretched out not balled up - as you know, that makes for a difficult target to hit with any detector.

I was not able to get to the Carolina coast due to inclement weather moving in each time I had planned to do the 200 mile drive but I plan on getting there by the end of the month and can provide some feedback at that time.

Let me know if there are any questions on the settings I used on the beaches or the response to specific targets that you might have.

Andy Sabisch

Awsome! I feel a new detector coming on. Pardon me while I drool.