Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"The differences in the Explorer series models including useful tips and information"

MikeO

Staff member
I keep see many people asking what are the differences between the XS-II and the SE-Pro and etc.

I decided to put up a post that explains the differences. Granted, I copied and pasted several of my previous older posts so, it will save people time trying to search.

First lets cover the "Generations" of the line as far as Processors:

The XS and XS-S was the First Generation Processor.
The Explorer II was the Second Generation Processor.
The SE/SE-Pro is the Third Generation Processor.

This correlates to how fast it will process information and relay it to the Smart Find screen.

Next since the SE Pro was the last model to be made in the series lets answer a common question. The most notable differences between the XS, XS-S & XS-II versus the SE-Pro are:

1. "VCO Pinpoint" (tone increases as you get over the target) Only available on the SE series.

2. Target ID in Pin Point mode. Only available on the SE series.

3 Larger option in Iron-Mask settings. IM was wide open at -16 on the XS XS-S and XS-II meaning no Discrimination. On the SE and SE-Pro it is wide open (no Disc.) at -32.

4. "Pitch Hold" The Threshold retains the pitch of the last detected target until the next signal is located. Only available on the SE series

5. Compared to the XS,XS-S and XS-II the SE Pro has the Pro coil VS the standard 10". NOTE: The SE is an SE-Pro without the Pro Coil . Keep in mind the stock coil that came on the earlier XS (prior to the SE model) models is great coil.

6. SE-Pro has 3rd Generation processor (for quicker target response ID on the screen). Use your ears to determine what you dig then the screen as a reference.

7. The SE is Black and does not show the dirt as bad. Only available on the SE series :rofl:

Next, I will put up links to the Manuals for the guys/gals that are purchasing a used models in the Explorer line that are lacking one.
Study your manual for your model and learn it. Scroll through the options and try them and get used to where they are located within the menu it will help you tremendously when your out in the field hunting.

Look to the right in the red area and click on "Product Manuals" the simply scroll down to where it says "Product Archives" then click on the manual you want and download it.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/support/downloads/product-manuals-guides

The last topic to cover real quick will be using the "Search" feature here at Finds Treasure Forums.

I cannot stress enough how much knowledge has been shared by all the many users here over the years. Its all availably to you all you must do is search.

Simply look near the top of the screen above where in bold letters it says what forum your logged into and looking at. Right below where it says "Equipment Reviews by FindMall Users" is the word "Search"
Click on it.
Then type in the word that best describes your search. If your wanting to learn about Iron Mask the type in Iron Mask in the "Search Messages" box.
Many and most questions are in the "Explorer Classroom" or have been moved there and is a wealth of information so, scroll down to the "Forums" box and scroll to the "Minelab Explorer Classroom Forum" and click on it.
Next scroll down to "Options" box and select on "All Dates" this will give the best chance on finding a thread related to your search.

Not sure if I missed anything (sure I did) but, I thought I would quickly compile some answers to common questions from some of the newer members and folk just getting a Explorer. :cheers:

Last edited:
If you are in the Smartfind screen and wish to change to Digital ( FE/CO numbers) screen hit the Detect keypad one time to access that option. Then if you wish to go back to the Smartfind screen hit Detect until you toggle back to it.
As I mentioned this is why downloading the manual as I described is so beneficial. I would download it and save then print it. It is paramount to get accustomed to the menu layout for use in the field.

MikeO said:
If you are in the Smartfind screen and wish to change to Digital ( FE/CO numbers) screen hit the Detect keypad one time to access that option. Then if you wish to go back to the Smartfind screen hit Detect until you toggle back to it.
As I mentioned this is why downloading the manual as I described is so beneficial. I would download it and save then print it. It is paramount to get accustomed to the menu layout for use in the field.

Forgive I am keep asking but I saw in the manual that in the digital screen XS shows only a single number for target id and not the fer - cond screen as explorer II. So probably that how it is. Thanks Mike for answers.

Yes, I miss understood what you where asking as you mentioned "explorer II" twice. You answered your own question and yes the software is different.

First and for most listen to the tones. With that said I will throw out my opinion here and mention my hunting partner and I both use the Smartfind Screen. The reason is there are patterns of cursor flutter/bounce or movement which can really help one discern a deep coin. This has been covered over and over again and if you do a search you will find a wealth of information on it. My experience has been the Smartfind screen is going to offer you the best information as bouncing numbers are to varying. I guess i am trying to say a better pattern emerges with cursor bounce versus jumping numbers in my opinion. Just remember what works for one person might not work for another so, experiment and find what works best for you.

Your welcome.

This post was done a decade or so ago by Mike Moutray and then appears its was posted by a member here by the name of Jim Vokes.
It will really help new users get an understanding when people refer to as cursor flutter/bounce on the Smartfind Screen.
Its also shows a general idea of bounce per coins with photos.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jvokes/exscreens.htm

Last edited:
Last edited:
Iron Mask is basically a straight line discrimination.
On the XS XS-S and XS-II the Iron Mask setting can be set all the way too -16 (no discrimination) or anywhere in between. On the SE and SE-Pro the setting can go too -32 (no discrimination) or any where in between.
That is one thing Minelab did on the SE models is broaden the range at which a user can incrementally set Iron Mask. Therefore allowing for better fine tuning to suite ones personal preference.
Iron Mask is especially useful when hunting old home etc. sites littered with Iron. Many use it to simply knock out a small portion of Iron that falls to the far left of the Smart Find screen.
Keep in mind Iron Mask is discrimination just like say a preset program although it allows it to be set in incremental numbers.

]"HI! Just got a E-trac minelab said:
Download the manual which, I explained how to do in my response too your second post like this. Then learn how to adjust your "Threshold" and see if that is what you are hearing.
Typically most set the Threshold to just a barely audible hum.
Hope this helps you. :cheers:

Last edited:
Lots of good info for sure...Having used all four units I feel the original XS not having all the updates went as deep or in most case deeper than the 3 update units but of course is only my opinion and many of them are still in use grabbing that deep silver...

Granted the first option is to try to troubleshoot the problem yourself. Many times its is a simple fix easily done other times its not.
The next step would be to contact Minelab.
If you contact Minelab for an older (IE: Explorer) and you are told they do not service them anymore do not despair there is still hope for your old machine.
You might want to contact MSR Metal Detector Repair. They are to my understanding the former repair facility for Minelab located in the UK (as mentioned on their website).
They make replacement touch pads/key pads for the series and do electrical component repair.
Here is the website in the event self troubleshooting was unsuccessful and Minelab cannot help you.