Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

the doubble beep that only Iron can give

Go ahead , take a nail and run your detector over it and you will get a duble beep one off each end and this holds for any iron object whith some length but take a brass nail and you will get one beep take an aluminum nail and one beep the only thing i can think is the nail is the only metal that is magnetec and has poles but one way to I>D iron is the two beeps you will get from it

Go outside and stick a coin in the dirt on a 90

Sounds like the "ATC" and "Edge Pass Rejection" stuff to me:)

nwdetectorist

TOO MUCH DIRT, NOT ENUFF TIME!

Gunnar of bradford MN said:
Go ahead , take a nail and run your detector over it and you will get a duble beep one off each end and this holds for any iron object whith some length but take a brass nail and you will get one beep take an aluminum nail and one beep the only thing i can think is the nail is the only metal that is magnetec and has poles but one way to I>D iron is the two beeps you will get from it

Sorry for the late-late response on this. Originally I wasn't going to post the results of my tests, then was going through my scrap book of metal detecting info. recently and re-read Gunnars' above post and decided my test results might be helpful to someone. So, here goes........

TEST PIECES:
#1..iron nail, #2..odd-shaped, but long iron, #3..hollow brass tube, approx. 3" length, #4..aluminum nail

METAL DETECTORS TESTED:
#5..Garrett Ace250 (6.5 x 9 PROformance coil)
#6..White's Classic ll (Standard 8"dia. Solid coil)
#7..Tesoro Bandido ll uMax (Standard 8" O.D. Brown Donut coil)

TEST CONDITIONS and RESULTS:
- All three detectors were in All Metal mode during tests.
- An area of metal-free ground approx. 3 ft. in dia. was used for testing.
- Each test piece was individually placed on top of the ground and tested.
- Coil height approx. 1" above ground (See exception below re Tesoro.).
- All three detectors responded in the manner Gunnar said, except with the #1 Iron nail, the Tesoro would only double-beep with the
coil raised at least 1 ft. above the ground and the beep wasn't as sharp, i.e. softer tone.

Hope this helps someone. :thumbup:

Todd

Up here in Canada now, I was getting a lot of double beeps or single pass repeatable beeps.
For the first week here, I would pass them up as junk. Not anymore, decided to dig them and found coins.
The modern coins here are made of up plated steel. The detector I was using was a DP Wader.

Most of my detectors, over the years, have double beeped on all coins that are just on the surface (if you'd have looked, you'd have seen the coin). Those detectors just went, or stayed silent over iron or steel.

Question for Monte... Monte, does this mean that the circuit in the Stingray II by Tesoro would reject the iron in it's TR circuit? It is my intention to see what the response is on the testing that is mentioned above. If I am reading this right, the disc side and all metal side of the Stingray II will act as you say, and then the TR circuit will null out the iron...

Hmmm this will be interesting to say the least, cause I love my Stingray II and man will this be an asset...

asanaman