Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The dreaded Iron Question with some pictures.

Southwind said:
I did the same test with the nail sideways and the results were the same. I will say with the nail directly on top of the coin there was just a tab bit more break in the tone, but it was still a tone I would investigate.

The key is your discrimination settings. This test was done with my normal custom program that is used at 90% of the places I hunt. Accept +93 down to -20 and also accept -93 and reject +94 & +95. I dig a lot of coins that have nails in the same hole. There are no tricks being used in this video. What you see is what you get. As you can see from this picture the nail used is quite big. Bigger than most I find in the average situation.

naildime.jpg

I like to run mine to accept down to about -30 in the real world too. The test i did were all in the factory settings except as noted. Does the coin Id as a dime on your test?

Jason

No the dime does not register as a dime on the VDI. Actually it reads around 30 and the SignaGraph peaks in the same area. That is my indicator of a good target. I used a clad dime which normally would read around 79.

It is easier to detect a dime with a nail laying on it vs a dime with a nail 3" above it.

Can someone with a Vison bury a dime @ 4" then bury a nail directly over it @ 1" depth? Water well then test. Tell me what you find.

If your are interested in reading this article, Tom;s article was in the March 2000 Western and Eastern treasures magazine, and was titled "Beneath The Mask". HH....How.

go-rebels said:
It is easier to detect a dime with a nail laying on it vs a dime with a nail 3" above it.

Can someone with a Vison bury a dime @ 4" then bury a nail directly over it @ 1" depth? Water well then test. Tell me what you find.

In my test bed, I have a 2" long rusted nail buried 1" deep 6" from a silver dime buried 4" deep. The nail is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the dime.

I cannot see the dime when passing over the dime and nail in either direction swinging at my normal speed using my Fisher F75.

This is not as difficult as placing the nail directly over the dime but very tough nontheless.

If someone has a yard, try this test with the Vision and let me know what you find.

I got a 3 inch high glass and placed a nail on top, then placed a quarter under the glass...My etrac failed : (

Bugalooob said:
I got a 3 inch high glass and placed a nail on top, then placed a quarter under the glass...My etrac failed : (

That's easy enough to do! Can someone with a Vision try Bugalooob's test?

Can someone with a yard try my test?

Can someone with a yard try my test? It would be much appreciated!

"In my test bed, I have a 2" long rusted nail buried 1" deep 6" from a silver dime buried 4" deep. The nail is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the dime.

I cannot see the dime when passing over the dime and nail in either direction swinging at my normal speed using my Fisher F75.

This is not as difficult as placing the nail directly over the dime but very tough nontheless.

If someone has a yard, try this test with the Vision and let me know what you find."

go-rebels said:

"In my test bed, I have a 2" long rusted nail buried 1" deep 6" from a silver dime buried 4" deep. The nail is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the dime.

Can you clarify exactly how deep your nail is from the surface, then how deep the dime is from the surface? Is the nail tipped at a 45 degree angle from the surface level? (most nails I've dug are lying flat). If you re-read your sentence, I can't add up the numbers properly. From the surface measurements will describe it well.

Brett said:
go-rebels said:

Can you clarify exactly how deep your nail is from the surface, then how deep the dime is from the surface? Is the nail tipped at a 45 degree angle from the surface level? (most nails I've dug are lying flat). If you re-read your sentence, I can't add up the numbers properly. From the surface measurements will describe it well.

Sorry for my poor description.

My 2" long rusty nail is buried 1" deep.

My silver dime is buried 4" deep.

The targets are 6" apart measured along the surface.

As to the orientation of the nail, a line extended through the axis of the nail from either end would never pass through the surface of the ground. The 'line' of the nail is contained in a plane that is parallel to the ground's surface and 1" under the surface. In other words, the nail lies 'flat'.

Assuming that the nail and the coin are at the same depth, most tests with a nail has the nail pointing directly at the target or directly perpendicular to the target line. I've 'averaged' the angle of the nail and have it at halfway, or angled 45 degrees.

Hope that helped.

WOW ! ! ! That is GOOD. Nice work ;-)

Jerry

CROCK of COINS said:
WOW ! ! ! That is GOOD. Nice work ;-)

Jerry
Thanks Jerry! I did this with Google Sketchup. If you want to check it out, here's the link for the free software:
http://sketchup.google.com/

I downloaded 3 models which helped speed up the process too, the nail, dime and detector:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

It's not too bad once you learn how to get around in the software. If anyone takes the plunge, just make sure to go through the tutorials first:
http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html

Very nice Brett. Yes, that's exactly my scenario in my test bed! I need to practice with that Sketchup program as I'm an old AUTOCAD guy.

Can someone build this scenario and test it using their Vision? Come on now...

I can see the coin with my F75 and standard 9"x11" coil but I need to swing at an unnaturally slow speed (when I swing along the line of the nail and coin in either direction). When I retrofitted my F75 with the new 5" DD, the coin could be picked up at any swing speed. The signal comes so fast that my brain has trouble processing the coin tone along with the grunt of the nail (DE mode, Sens @ 75, Disc = 6, Tone = 4).

Now with the nice picture presented, can anyone build this little test in your backyardf? It takes all of one minute and I guarantee it will be worth your time as an aid to learning your new Vision!

Stock 9x11" DD: With Disc=6 (disc out small nails) I get a strong broken signal with no sound of the dime. With Disc=7 I get a little chirp of the nail and no sound of the dime. With Disc>=8 the dime is completely masked by the iron and I hear nothing.

New 5" DD: With Disc=6 I get a good low tone on the nail and a good high tone on the dime. With Disc between 7 and 10 I get a weak broken chirp on the nail and a good high tone on the dime. With Disc set between 11 and 20 I get no sound on the nail and a good high tone on the dime. I do not use Disc > 20 so I don't know how those results would be.

No one seems to be able to add any information on their Vision so I'll continue this Fisher thread over at the Dankowskidetectors forum.

I must be missing something here. If my DFX can detect the presents of a dime, or lack of, with a rusted nail on top, it would surely pass this 6" away test. If the DFX can pass the test them I'm sure the Vision can as well.