Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The elusive silver quarters.

MuddyMo

Why is it so hard to find silver quarters? I find 20(?) silver dimes to every 1 quarter. Clad around 2 to 1. Silver quarters seem more elusive than half's. I don't think the older detectors had a hard time finding the silver dimes so were people that much more careful with quarters or what??

Good queston Muddly. Even in my Clad sites the first to go are the Quarters. Leaving the deeper dimes and nickels. I believe because they make the best sounding and strongest targets for most machines. I guess in the days of Silver a quarter was proberly worth about 50 cents in todays currency. When I do blunder into silver lately its a dime.

For the most part, fewer silver quarters were made then silver dimes. Hence, fewer got lost. Combine that with quarters being easier seen when first dropped and a easier target to detect then a dime, probably accounts for our finding fewer then dimes. HH jim tn

Jim, I can see that but it doesn't explain the difference between silver vs clad dime/quarter ratios.

My silver quarter to dime ratios are a little better then your mentioned 20 to 1. Thus far this year I have recovered 36 silver dimes and 8 silver quarters. Nearly a 4 to 1 ratio. Looking back over the last couple of years, silver dimes to quarters ratios were for me about the same. But, my clad ratio's, though, are like yours, almost 1 quarter to 2 dimes. This is my first year ever tracking clad numbers. Past years I just tracked $ amounts found annually. Site type, site age, maybe area's in general, might come into play. Interesting, never gave ratios much thought. HH jim tn

For the most part, fewer silver quarters were made then silver dimes. Hence, fewer got lost. Combine that with quarters being easier seen when first dropped and a easier target to detect then a dime, probably accounts for our finding fewer then dimes. HH jim tn
I tend to agree with this theory in that silver quarters are easier to spot than silver dimes when dropped.
As far as finding lots of clad quarters nowadays, people are not as likely to pick up dropped coins as much as they used to.
I have searched yards and found plenty of wheats, but not one silver coin.. dime or quarter… my thought is they could see the dime, but not the penny.
Just my thoughts.
Also in my area, people do not seems to be interested in clad hunting, so nearby schools have been loaded with clad quarters as well as other clad.

Why is it so hard to find silver quarters? I find 20(?) silver dimes to every 1 quarter. Clad around 2 to 1. Silver quarters seem more elusive than half's. I don't think the older detectors had a hard time finding the silver dimes so were people that much more careful with quarters or what??
That is a very good question!!

I got a couple matching 57's last week.

I usually find 15 dimes to one quarter.

Attachments

• 20210604_213140.jpg
    20210604_213140.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 96
I still think it boils down to less silver quarters being over all minted. I think if one was to run a tally of silver minted quarters, about 1800 to 1964, they would be considerable fewer then clad quarters, with a lesser mintage time span. One can't find some thing that's not there. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. HH jim tn

I tend to think folks start with a small rip in their pockets in which the smallest diameter coins are the first to fall thru. By the time quarters start raining one usually discovers the rip.

Hello Folks!! Might I suggest that the lost Quarters & Even Halves were easier to find when I was detecting? My ex & I joined our Coin Club in 1980 & he started detecting in 1981 & then I did--bought me a detectot so he could use his own!!! :rolleyes: There were lots more silver found in the 80's, 90's & even in the 2000's depending on the areas hunted as many were Treasure Hunting by then! Testing newer places often found the quarters easier than the dimes & clads didn't start until 1965--20 years later the swinging & digging became more & more plentiful & what was left nearer to the surface was found first--thus silver Dimes, Quarters & even halves & dollars, although they sank deeper faster in wet & swampy soils & lost in lakes & ponds when boating (like the boating lake in Forest Park, St. Louis, Mo & other large lakes for sometimes the boats capsized & purses & wallets & pockets emptied trying to swim out were lost in the deep water (very old coins) going back to the 1904 World's Fair! These lakes are drained & cleaned out when needed & the gumbo soil allowed to DRY & be spread in areas of the parks!

Although people were detecting earlier with detectors that sure weren't finding treasure like todays sophisticated detectors & accessories, the larger silver coins & lost valuble items could be found first! Just think, the 80's were 20 years from the minting of silver coinage & now 2020's (50 to 60 years) to sink deeper or more difficult to find as the Silver Halves, Quarters & Dimes have to be scarcer & places with less detecting have to be found but when are--the older the dates of coins dug is a happy dance! I used to find lots of Silver Quarterss & Dimes when I first started (the 80') & although I never found a Silver Dollar --I did find Silver Halves--sometimes 2-3 or more in one hunting depending on the parks & areas hunted!

Rings were there & found but lots harder as people would look closer to find a lost ring & also when they lost larger coins, because not everyone had plenty of money for living! The brighter the coin, the easier found by others & the larger ones , also! ,As I read about & see your nice Coins it still amazes me that so many silver & even gold ones are still being dug up BUT Detectors & equipment are far more advanced and there weren't any Pinpointers when I was MD'ing! Oh, also less places to go because of all the NUTTY People & neighborhoods where I used to detect, would be too dangerous & putting you & any hunting partners' lives at RISK! Happy Hunting & Happy, Safe Hunting Grounds! Ma