Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

matthias

OK, I've heard about and seen the better aspects of the Explorer SE. Now, as a new Explorer SE owner I want the low-down dirty dirt. What are this machine's faults and weak spots. What do you wish someone told you when you first started hunting with your SE? I welcome everyone to chime in to help me and others reading this post. Thank you. HH. Matt

That there is a learning curve.... but once you move from the screen to just the tones and are listening to weak signals not surface tones you are on your way. Its a heavy machine. It doesnt particularly like loose soil. Deep targets like on most machines move on the smartscreen.... but there is a pattern to their movement. These machines have a lot of capability that most people NEVER use. They are forgiving IMO to bad settings except to much sensitivity. They have fairly slow recovery..... but cant be beat when worked slow. Most machine require a faster swing for the filters to work properly. Some people have never used a DD coil..... so PPing can be a challenge. There are a lot of tones.... to many for some people.

The Exp once learned is one of the best machines out there..... and id dare say better than any on deep silver. Its a good flexible machine as well you can adjust to about any area. Its a rare machine that can be as complicated as you want to make it or as simple as turn on and hunt.

Dew

Matt..... id highly recommend a SEF coil. The SE runs a lot smoother with it on.

Dew, as usual, is spot on, in my opinion, on all counts. Everything he said...

I'll add that if you are using the Slimline coil, you might or might not like it; some did, many didn't. The SEF coils are DEFINITELY good/stable coils, as Dew mentioned.

I can't think of any "minuses" to add, aside from Dew's points...

Steve

Thanks guys. I've just put on a new 10x12 SEF and I'm waiting for the 6x8 SEF backordered at K-co. I read a lot of posts from everyone raving about the SEF. I'm on board now. Thanks again. HH. Matt

Basically keep it simple and don't get fancy with settings.....if you can find another experienced Explorer hunter to go out with several times it can really shorten your learning period...Google Mike Mountray as he has some nice screen data rel the cursor and simple settings without all the fancy preset programs etc....Imagine you can graduate to the finer points and settings but starting out KISS....