Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Gunslinger

GateKeeper

A cowboy sitting in a saloon one Saturday night recognized an elderly man standing at the bar who, in his day, had the reputation of being the fastest gun in the west. The young cowboy took a place next to the old-timer, bought him a drink and told him the story of his great ambition.

"Do you think you could give me some tips?" he asked. The old man looked him up and down and said, "Well, for one thing, you're wearing your gun too high, tie the holster a little lower down your leg". "will that make me a better gunfighter?" asked the young man. "Sure will", replied the old-timer. The young man did as he was told, stood up, whipped out his 44 and shot the bow tie off the piano player. "That's terrific!" said the hot shot. "Got any more tips for me?" "Yep", said the old man. "Cut a notch out of your holster where the hammer hits it, that'll give you a smoother draw". "Will that make me a better gunfighter?" asked the younger man. "You bet it will" said the old-timer. The young man took out his knife, cut a notch, stood up, drew his gun in a blur, and then shot a cufflink off the piano player. "WOW!" said the young cowboy. "Got any more tips?" The old man pointed to a large can in the corner of the saloon. "See that axle grease over there? Coat your gun with it". The young man went over to the can and smeared some of the grease on the barrel of his gun. "NO", said the old timer, "I mean smear it all over the gun, handle and all". "Will that make me a better gun fighter?", said the young man. "NO" said the old man, "But when Wyatt Earp gets done playing that piano, he's gonna shove that gun up your a$$, and it wont hurt as much".

LOL. That was great GateKeeper, thanks Blade

It's great story and similar to one that actually happened to me. As a sixteen or so year old kid I was visiting a school friend near where we lived along the Texas coast. My friend's dad was a sly old farmer who had a keen wit and a wonderful way of teaching that was unforgettable.

He heard me say that I thought I would like to own a sixshooter one day and he asked me why. I replies that I had never shot one and would like to practice with one so that I could shoot it accurately and maybe even learn to draw it fast too!!

He got that sly look on his face that meant he wanted to share some unique wisdom with this kid and I heard him say, "You will want to remove the front sight that's for sure!!" I said, "yeah, that would make it faster to draw, but wouldn't it be harder to hit a target with no front sight?" He chuckled and said, "Naa, I was just thinkin it wouldn't hurt Ya so much when someone shoved that sucker up where the sun don't shine!!" (He was preacher on Sundays and didn't swear!!)

Well I got the message alright, but I could have done without his laughing so hard he had tears pouring outta his eyes and was having a time of trying to catch his breath!!

I'm sad to say that most kids today don't have the benefit of that kinda wisdom and the world is worse off for it!!

Regards and best wishes Friends,

CJ

n/t