Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The HMS CTX....water 'tectin.

BarnacleBill

The CTX is has been officially stated to have "just under neutral buoyancy". This means that you are not going to have to fight to keep it under water, which can put a lot of strain on your forearms. Using it compared to a detector with a saucer coil and having to throw a sand filled sock over it should be a more pleasurable experience.:)

But...........and there's always a but, the terminology "just under neutral buoyancy" means it will sink at some given rate depending on whether you are in fresh or salt water. If you locate a target in the water and let go of the CTX to use a large scoop or shovel with both hands, it is going to possibly drift away or slowly sink. This means you are going to put a lot of strain on the headphone cord and connections, so I would suggest a tether arrangement that will act as a strain relief for the headphones.

If I were going to fabricate such a tether I would be attaching it to my utility belt at the waist, and provide enough length to allow me to gently move the CTX around to my back when I take shovel or scoop in hand. I would try to avoid making the tether so long that it can entangle my legs or get wrapped around my neck if I get knocked down by a wave. For added safety I would put two quick disconnects that I can open with one hand, one at the detector and one at my belt. As added safety always have a Dive knife on your belt in easy reach of your strong hand as you never know when you can get tangled up a lobster/crab line or piece of netting.

HH
BB

Bill i find a dive belt in the water is great. Most have double hooks and a quick release buckel. I rarely find myself using 2 hands to dig out there be it the beach or water..... none the less i still have both my detector and scoop (wood handle floats) attached. BUT.... in fresh water with totally different bottoms i can see the need for both hands. Good info.

Dew