Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Infinium and Idiosyncrasies

Dimesworth

I'm back for better or for worse. I was out in Colorado for two and a half weeks visiting my daughter. She actually lives in Portland Oregon but was there as a bridesmaid for a friend of hers. She, [my daughter is a registered nurse].
I, being the eternal searcher of beneficial things, was metal detecting a stage-coach stop near Fort Collins that was a site for fresh horses in the old days. Well, guess what? This old searcher found a double eagle gold piece. The only thing that I found that was worth a s--t. There seemed to be plenty of clad that was lost by some other dudes that had a detector that wouldn't reach 9 inches like my Infinium does.
Anyway, I decided that I should learn to use one of my four detectors really well, like John Edmonton does. By the way, I will post a picture of the double eagle when my granddaughter gets back from her travels. My wife purchased a Macintosh computer. This machine is new to me and her and I'm not ashamed to admit that we are totally lost until my grand-daughter returns. I cannot seem to make my digital camera work with this wonder of science. When one was born during the great Indian
up-risings modern day wonders are kind of confusing. That's why we have the younger generation. They grow with this crap and I am so jealous. I can't come close to remembering all the terms that are used.

So this is what I came up with in my musings after I returned from Rocky Mountain High. This is surface testing, so if these items were buried the situation might differ. An aluminum can gives a low-high until the discrimination is turned to about 3, then a hi-lo is received. A quarter dollar gives a lo-hi even with disc. turned to max. A dime gives a lo-hi until turned to almost max, then a hi-lo. A penny [1979] or older gives a lo-hi until disc. is turned to max, then cries out a hi-lo. Newer than "79" pennies seem to give out a hi-lo no matter where disc. is set. Gold rings a hi-lo - no matter where disc. is set. Didn't have any silver rings, so couldn't test. Metal washers were hi-lo with no change using disc. Most Infinium users probably know this but I figured I'd post it to inform some of the newbies of my unscientific findings. Dimesworth . PS. One of these days I know that I'll find the big kabowski, then I'm going to purchase a large motor-home and drive around and act smart.

j

OMG :surprised: Congratulations on a find of a life time. :) I hope to find one one of these days.....

Please send some nice photos to Garrett with a story and they will probably use it in their SEARCHER magazine.

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/submitastory.htm

n/t

are you "sure" you are NOT related to "charlie!"?

(h.h!)
j.t.

I am looking to use the Infinium on British inland soil.
How would it fare on inland pasture/ploughed land. I know that via reverse discrim it is possible to sniff out larger iron and steel. But how about smaller iron and rusted iron nails of varying size? Their conductivity would probably register somewhere on the border of the hi-lo and lo-hi signal?
To be short..do you find a lot of small (rusted) iron with the Infinium on inland sites or (after a learning curve) can one also discrim those away?
Not a single soul here in the UK is using the Infinium..so if it can be used inland to pick up deep coins..it might possibly unleash something like a revolution here.

Many thanks for any response

HammeredHippi- Sorry if I'm late on this but I've been out searching so far into the day that I become very tired and retire as soon as I get home. I'm 69 yrs. and I'm not as tough as I used to be. But as far as the discrim. I think that you will find that sometimes a small rusty iron object, will fade out and sound like a good signal on iron check. But, I feel that you will find this idiosyncrasy with most detectors including the top VLF machines that are supposed to be fine discriminators. After the Infinium is learned [I still have a long way to go to be truly established with this machine], that you will find the good points far out-weigh the bad. Remember, if you search islands and beaches, you can also wade out up to your neck and over that if you also purchase the water proof ear phones and search under the water.

As I have complained many times, "I wish the echo were a little shorter", but as John Edmonton and others say, " It helps to establish size, which is another form of discrimination". After you become accustomed to the Infinium I hope that you'll agree. When I first purchased mine I was a little reluctant-now I'm not.

The Infin. is very deep-bring a shovel when you go out. By the way, there are others that are more skillful than I about explaining this machine. I placed a straight shaft on mine about six months after I received it, used a Minelab shaft. Had to do some grinding but it worked and helped considerably as far as balance and felt weight is concerned. Now days they have after market straight shaft's that work fine, I think one is named [Anderson]. And also,The Infinium will work fine on plowed ground and inland pastures. I sincerely hope that my ramblings have helped. Dimesworth

Many thanks for your reply Dimesworth

Especially the tip about the echo might prove invaluable. If ever one is going to discrim small corroded iron away..it might proof essential to know a little about the size. I currently also use the intensity of my White's or Compass' signal to estimate size/depth of the target.

Does the machine have something like a pinpoint mode/method?
Just wondered how easy/difficult this machine is in pinpointing, since I have never ever used a pulse machine.

Many thanks again for your reply

HammeredHippi - The Infinium does not pinpoint as well as some of my VLF's. I usually use the eight inch mono coil on upland searches because it works the best. The double D, the coil the machine comes with won't work with the standard X, one has to move 90 degrees to the signal get the standard X. The double D seems to pinpoint the best using the outer tip of the coil. Slide the D up to the signal and when the tip sounds off, mark with your toe or something else in the soil. Then turn 90 degrees to your mark and repeat the slide technique to the signal, when tip of coil sounds off, mark soil again. After I take a shallow scoop of soil out, I usually stick my pin- pointer in the cavity and check. I own a 10+14 inch mono also, but usually use it on the beach where I can employ my sand scoop. Hope this helps, Dimesworth PS - I see that I was sensered above. Someone placed the symbols @#$%& where the brand name for a straight shaft was. I don't like to see this without an explanation,I'm going to ask for one.

....for finding a double eagle!! Can I get a high five?? :super:

Thanks for the input on the I-LS, too. Im considering one next year as my last - and ultimate - water detector purchase.