Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Most Important Night Of The Year and.........

The most important night of the year for a sand guy, and it did not go well.

First off I should have retested the 12"X10" SEF coil for my Sovereign.
I tested before I left and it is a no-go, I have to ship it back for replacement.

Next I left too late, I should have been better prepared and left earlier.

Next I should have researched better the places I was going to search,
some of those beaches are considered "parks", they are closed up at 10:30pm.

I had maps, directions, parking tips, travel times, a good machine and meter,
a good back up machine.

First beach, small place, almost looks like a private beach, winds up it's a park.

I got there at midnight, there were three groups of younger people, no trouble,
they were just standing around talking, drinking beer, not loud, everything was
fine.

A while later......................

In the distance I see a police helicopter, inland, maybe two city blocks away,
shining it's spotlight around. I ignored it, kept searching......
Then it was over head and started lighting up the groups of people one after another.
By this time I was in the wet sand digging up a promising signal, far from the people
up on the dry sand. The spotlight found me and stayed on me for a while, I ignored it,
kept digging, I was down about six inches and the signal was getting stronger and
clearer, number was 164 in both directions. I was fighting with wet sand and water
caving in and filling my hole, but I stayed at it trying to recover what ever it was that
was producing that signal.
Then there was three bright flashlights coming onto the beach in my direction......
I had to walk away from that find, it was three cops.

I walked up onto the dry sand and tried to be slick and walk up a trail in the hillside
away from the cops, I just wanted to get to my car and slide out of there.
That didn't work, there were cops everywhere, including at the top of the hill I
was walking up.
Then it was bright lights in the eyes and lots of questions from cops, there was at
least a dozen there, and a fire engine, and two ambulances.

Someone called in a call that there was a shooting and someone had been shot there
at that small beach.

And I have a real creepy feeling I know who made that call.

I was there about 30 minutes,....I checked around where the fire pits were, where
I saw that people had gathered, and the two volley ball courts.

As I was finishing up the second volley ball court, (and not having one signal, "nothing"),
I said to myself, "this is Way too clean", "someone has been here already"................
I looked up and saw a guy dragging around a big plastic bag and collecting up cans
and bottles from the trash cans,...... he was carrying a metal detector.

Creepy anti-social sorta bum looking guy.

I only saw the coil and the lower, the box was behind the bag he was carring, but it looked like a White's
coil?

It was white, probably 10", open center, with four spokes, and four kidney shaped slots.
Gold anodized lower.

I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

Here, I drew a picture, "Who recognizes this coil?"

Bum_Coil.png

White, probably 10", open center, with four spokes, and four kidney shaped slots.
Gold anodized lower.

What machine could this be?

You see the crazy people here in this state?

What a nut.

Jim,wow,a simple search turns from bad to worse.What state and beach?LOL never can thrust those White's users always knew they were a bad bunch.Thanks for sharing.Ron

Ron said:
Jim,wow,a simple search turns from bad to worse.What state and beach?LOL never can thrust those White's users always knew they were a bad bunch.Thanks for sharing.Ron

Hey Ron,

California, the beach was Cabrillo Beach.

Actually Cabrillo Beach State Park,.... something like that.

Image this idiot,............

Guys joke about throwing handfuls of carpet tacks in a
spot to jinx it,....and just joking mind you......

Ron this Focker swatted me, (pardon my French).
I do not like having a bunch of cops and emergency services called out to a place and told
there has been a murder there, someone shot, and it's me and a handful of young drunk people.

Someone, not me, might get spooked and start running, in the dark, holding a
metal detector, helicopter trying to keep the spot light on him, into the shadows,
out of the shadows........

A scenario like that could wind up with someone getting shot to pieces.

So from carpet tacks, to a helicopter and armed response by what looked like
ten or 12 cops, a fire truck, and two ambulances, all with full crews.

Way to protect your location.

Icewhole

Ron the gent that just moved in across the street is a white's swinger (Whites Metal Detector that is). He has told me that he had permission to hunt some good spots and asked me if I would like to go hunting with him. Are you saying I should slip my little .380 in my pocket if I accompany him dirt fishing?? LOL. It sometimes accompanies me when I hit some of the parks in certain areas of the city. Just in case some young thug thinks that he needs my GT.

HH

Jim,with any 911 call they should be able to trace the call.God help the guy if they connect him to this call,because protecting his hunting area will be the least of his problems.Thanks Ron

George,I usually carry my Tarus 380 with me in the rough part of town.My permit runs out in August going to have to renew soon.Will be interesting to see how the Travon,Zimmerman trail plays out.By the way one of my favorite TV shows "Top Shot"HH Ron

Jim,my guess probably the younger kids did the swatting,seen this in the news with people doing this to celebrities.This would be the younger crowd MO,the tack throwing,bottle and can collector guy just doesn't seem to be up to this technology and would get caught.HH Ron

I read most of your post. And man. I can attest to this. I am constantly messin up. Being unprepared. This morning was no exception, I won't get into it in your thread.

It is a good reminder though! Next year, you won't let this one slip by again being unprepared. From the sounds of it, you were pretty well ready in its own.

On your coil, what is wrong...no noise at all?

My 4th hunt was cut short because...of my battery dying. You would think...that I would have replaced my dead charger a few days ago and been all set. Well I did...I just didn't charge it long enough...heh...we all blunder sometimes.

Ron that scrounger guy simply walked to a pay phone and made that false call.

Those young people were as quiet as a mouse standing around talking.

I swear Ron, I feel that that guy is a local that kinda has that place sewed up
a thinks of it as his own little private spot.

Night of the 4th of July, that little beach was packed with people watching a
firework display put on by the city.

It was Christmas Ron, can you dig what I mean?

That guy couldn't take it,..... he needed me out of there.

I called the cops and talked to them, Harbor Division. I laid out exactly what, why, where, when,.....
The cop agreed that it likely was that guy who called.
Problem is, he told me, it is expensive to go after a case like that and win it in court.

The district attorney go after cases he is most likely to win.

Yes joeb, 100% my fault.

The best is to have everything sorted out one week prior.
And using a check list is a huge plus.

This was a once in a year opportunity, I blew it.

On the coil.........

It won't shut up, even holding it up in the air, away from everything,
it keeps chirping and the numbers on my meter keep changing.

JW at Kellyco said it's what they call "erratic".

Also the threaded ring on the connector was over sized.
Very sloppy fit, and when you go to snug it jumps over the male thread.