Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

the ole CoRe doing what it does best

dfmike

Since our first few inches of snow has almost all melted away, I decided to get the CoRe out and see what I could rummage from an area of the woods that I have explored previously with my other machines. I brought it where the smallest of coils was needed. There is an area in these woods where the trees are very dense and there is thick stubble everywhere in between making movement and swinging a coil very difficult. The easiest more open areas have already been detected by many and targets are few and far between. It was obvious when going through this new tougher area that I was probably the first to attempt to detect it. It paid off big time with a very nice looking 1921 silver quarter. The silver dime was my very first target. Unfortunately I can't even read the date ! Since it has the face of King George V, it dates back to 1911-1936.

There is an old padlock in there, a small pendant in the shape of a rose with petals, an old buckle, a few wheat pennies and Canadian pennies from the 30's to the late 50's.

The CoRe was used with the 5" OOR coil and the settings were DI3 (for coins), sensitivity at 95 and discrimination/masking at 48. I usually discriminate iron only but because this area is loaded with small foil targets, I eliminate almost all of them by raising it to a value just shy of 50. Ground balance values ranged from 76 to 80.

Okay, so I am a little bit biased towards the Nokta FORS CoRe with the 'OOR' DD coil, but it, and my Relic with the round 5" DD coil are my two primary-use Relic Hunting models for dense iron debris as well as taking on crowded conditions by rocks, trees, dense tangling brush, or working around building rubble, etc. Here is vale in eastern Oregon I awoke to 2" of snow a couple day ago and a grandson shoveled off by sidewalk and driveway. We had high winds of over 20 mph and gusting from 29 to 29 mph, but they were out of the east and south and by afternoon it warmed to 44° and all th snow was gone. But the wind chill made it unpleasant to get out.

Wednesday the Simplex + arrived but I only had about an hour calming of the wind and got out briefly. Yesterday I was able to get out with the Simplex + to work a local park for maybe an hour before it was time for a Thanksgiving Day dinner. We have a slight chance for snow today, but Saturday is supposed to be sunny and clear ... and cold. It's supposed to drop to about 10° F tonight and only warm to freezing at 32° F tomorrow, but I located a sheltered area around an old barn and out-building where I am taking the Simplex + w/11" DD and the very proven FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD to tackle the iron junk and confined areas. I was surprised to here you had such huntable weather 'up north" with winter's arrival.

Nineteen coils and some other good finds out of that small area is a very good showing.:thumbup: I hope you get a chance to sneak in one more hunt or two before the season shuts you down for the year.

Monte

Good to hear from you Monte.

It's 23 F today so I'm staying in but I'll most probably go back out for a couple of hunts since the daytime forecast is just above freezing for the next few days. The nights are getting cold at 10-14 F and it won't be long before the ground will freeze to a point where my shovel will not go in. For me it's the ideal time to detect despite the cold. No bugs, no unmanageable heat and since the leaves are all gone it makes it so much easier to move around and swing a coil.

I hope to have more finds to show before the season is over.

@TinCanBeach: Thank you !