Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Omega and Bottlecaps

Smudge

I know the sizes and types of bottlecaps vary, but overall, how does the Omega do at identifying bottlecaps?

Mine says they are quarters more often than not. Pretty good indication they are bottlecaps if they id over 94, and if you lift the coil they often drop into the 50's. Although I had several this last week that gave a constant 91-92. I end up diging them all because I cant bear the thought of missing a silver quarter. Overall expect to dig a lot of them : )
my take from a couple digs
8036141763_b4cacd64e5_z.jpg

8007338093_be4e498b75_z.jpg

The Omega really likes them if you are using the DD coils . I recently bought the 8" round concentric for the Omega. Bottle caps are not a problem when using this coil and I hunt in an area where there are hundreds. The 8" round is turning out to be my favorite coil. I'm able to run the sensitivity much higher without any interference. The Omega just loves coins and is pretty darn good on jewelry. Good luck.

As mentioned, the DD coils love the caps. Omega, or otherwise.The stock 10" elliptical concentric coil, however, does an excellent job on them. That is the coil I use for hunting bottle cap infested sites and seldom dig one. And, it gets pretty decent target separation, too. HH jim tn

Yes, concentric coils do a much better job on bottlecaps than DD coils, that is for sure.

But tel me, when using a concentric coil, how doyou id the bottlecap: is it the sound, the notch, the ID?

I know on my Tesoro, the bottlecap would always give a broken, scratchy sound.

For me its mostly sound. I never use notch and often the caps bounce all over id wise. You will quickly know when your coil goes over one its a bottle cap. HH jim tn

For me they are very obvious with the concentric coil. Some times no more than a click, or a pop. Sometimes they are broken and occasionally you'll run across one that will give you a one way signal. Some seem to make no sound at all. I suspect this is because of a lot of variance in their make up and the amount decomposition they've undergone. This seems especially true when I water hunt with my Excal. The Excal handles them much better than most DD equipped machines. They make a wide variety of sounds with the Excal but they always seem to "grunt" I almost always know they are bottle caps but there's 1 or 2 types that will give a good signal. That's not the case with the concentric on the Omega. If they make a sound it's weak, inconsistent or 1 way. I dug a few to verify when I went to a concentric. Now I don't dig any. Hope this helps a little.

The 8 inch concentric coil is super light weight, less prone to EMI and pinpointing with it is a breeze.

I'm able to turn the sensitivity up higher on my Omega when I'm using the 8 inch coil.

Those deep/faint high tones are easier to hear with the higher sensitivity setting, since the threshold control is also connected to the sensitivity control knob.

tabman

:confused:It makes you wonder why people remove a pull tab that is purposely designed to be attached to a can so the can/pull tab can be discarded/recycled together.I can understand the old "ring" style ones being removed, if not removed, you went thirsty. I sense a conspiracy here:look: