Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Omega is a bad dude!

Found this cut coin at 7 inches in bad Virginia ground. Gave a solid 79-81. Not sure what it is yet but I like it.

very nice find...i`ll be keeping my eye on this post,to find out what cut coin that is.
Gary

I think it's a fourth of a Spanish 8 reale from the 1700's, although I'm not positive.

I always use the 11" in the woods in bad ground.

Wow, that 11" is really working for you. My brand new Omega with the 10" concentric won't hit an Aussie $1 at 5 inches.

Orgone500,
Just reading your last post prompted me to take my Omega outside to test it. Because the ground here is like concrete, i took it to the vege garden and dug a hole 8" deep and put a $1 coin at the bottom and refilled the hole. I could only just get a slight peep from the Omega and I would not have dug it in the field. I moved the coin up to within 6" of the surface, and the result was similar. I moved it up to 5" and very little change. I had the sensitivity on 90-95, and ground balance came it at 41. I then remembered that I had put a considerable amount of ash in this plot last September, so I went to another garden bed near my house. Similar results there, and then I wondered if I was too close to my house (less than 1m), which is walled and roofed with colourbond sheeting. I took the gear to another spot about 2 metres from the house and dug a hole just over 5" deep and put the $1 at the bottom, refilled the hole...the $1 came in loud and clear with good visual ID.
Suggest you consider (a) thinking of every conceivable thing which could be affecting the detector when you are doing your test; (b) testing in a variety of areas; and (c) if there is no change when you have done (a) and (b), send the Omega back to your retailer/importer for checking/adjusting/repair. As I said in my last email, you should be able to detect a $1 at 5". HH

EMI on the Omega, and probably every other detector, may not be noticeable to the operator, but it can still be there. Just because you're not hearing interference doesn't mean it's not there. My Omega runs fairly smoothly beside my house but gets poor depth. In the woods or fields away from EMI it's a different story, and a different detector.

Thanks for the tips guys. Reading my post again I sound a bit jaded with the Omega, but I was at a loss as to why I wasn't seeing the monster depth like SD. As suggested, I planted an AU $1 at 5" 6" and 7" at a remote field away from any emi. I can now hit the 5" coin solid, the 6" is jumpy/iffy and the 7 comes in as low iron, so moving away from the house has made a difference.

Thinking I might have to send the detector back to the USA for repair, I lashed out and bought an AT Pro. Head to head on the same coins, the AT hits the 5" and 6" reliably, but the 7" is jumpy/iffy, so it's hitting slightly deeper with the DD coil, but not exactly smashing the Omega in depth.

It has been extremely dry here for the last few months. I'm sure some rain and on real targets that have not been disturbed, I'll get the depth others are reporting.

Back on topic, SD did you get an ID on the coin quarter?

Orgone 500, keep in mind that coins that have been buried for years often return better and stronger signals to the detector due to a build-up of mineralisation around the coin, often referred to as the "halo effect". That is one reason that air tests and sticking a coin in the ground are not true representations of the detector's abililty in the field. Also keep in mind that the type of mineralisation in the soil, in time, can affect the visual readout the detector gives for that coin. It can also affect whereabouts on the disc. dial you will null out that coin. HH