Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The relic monster 29er is a deep coin getter too!!

JohnTN

Bored and not much time before the rain moved in. I decided to hit an old fairgrounds I have about sterilized. I have hit this place probably 100 times or better. With all the latest and greatest machines out there. The GBSE 29er sucked a few more oldies out of the ground in spots that have totally quit producing with these other machines. A few tricks I learned today coin hunting is swing slow, it makes the deepies more obvious. I know swinging faster makes the deeper targets louder and may even have a bit more depth. Forget about a solid ID it will bounce around a good bit but will stay a good bit of the time in the correct area. Forget the faint signals that give a conductive signal then a ferrous grunt on the return swing. All of these I dug were deep iron -- usually rusty washers or bent nails. Most of you guys have probably already figured all this out. I mostly relic hunt and just dig all repeatable conductive signals and love listening for the faint repeatables. Coin hunting with the 29er was something new to me. One thing I did figure out SHE AINT NO SLOUCH !!! LOL

Have ya dug any holes with nails and a good target? I just love pinpointing 3 or 4 nails and then pull a button or a bullet from the hole..:thumbup:

I have dug holes with good targets that were compromised by ferrous targets in the same hole. Usually I can get a decent repeatable conductive signal from at least one narrow angle and if I barely change my angle that I approach the target I only hear the iron around it. What I discovered yesterday is getting a conductive tone on a target as I swing over it then a iron grunt on the return swing without changing my approach angle. In other words >>> left to right=high tone--<<<right to left = grunt--->>>>>left to right high tone ---<<<<<right to left grunt. All these targets I dug were iron.

I have pulled a lot of good targets from in and around several trashy building tear-down or renovation sites, mainly with the 5" coil on my G2. Which coil were you using on your GBSE? The stock 5" or larger 11" DD?

Plan on a successful 2011!

Monte

Monte I started detecting first with the 5" coil thinking that I could unmask a few targets in and around the iron. This was the first time I have used the 5" on the GBSE. I usually search with my disc set on 31. I find this is as low as I can go in the soil here and put medium size nails and smaller into a low tone and be confident at rolling over conductive targets near iron to a good tone. Note: These same nails will be low tone in air test with the disc set at 17-18. The mineralization in the soil here tends to upgrade signals. Right away I noticed the 5" coil ground balanced a good bit higher than the 11" and the nails were still rolling over making a lot of mixed high tones chirps. I had to move my disc up to 39 to quite the chirps. I dug a few smaller pieces of can slaw that sounded deep but were only 4" deep at the most. I decided to put the 11" coil back on since I was used it. Right away dug a wheat penny at about 6" deep with a small piece of foil at 3" deep above it. I dug the rest of the coins within a 1 1/2 hours. All these coins were compromised in one way or another. Obviously this is why I had missed them in many previous trips with many other detectors. The deepest coin was a "P" War Nickel at roughly 8" deep. I am sure the 5" is a great coil but it will take more testing for me to see how it stacks up in depth an seperation verses the 11". On most machines the smaller coils do give me a very obvious advantage in seperating targets but I didn't notice much difference with the Goldbug.

Yes, the 11" DD coils can do quite well in amongst a bunch of trash ... for a larger-size coil. I know that I like to use the 11" for the extra coverage, plus it does 'OK' in moderately littered sites, but I've always been fond of smaller-sized coils for most of my hunting over the past 4