Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

the silver streak is over!

gunwolf

been skunked since it started raining and the ground got wet again... I do believe the E-trac likes the ground dry. I cannot get deep in the wet soil, pulled 25 clad quarters and 40 dimes in the past few outings... all less than 3"... no signals deeper than 4". I did manage a Vietnam veterans pin ... not to old at 3".... looking forward to later this week after 90+ degrees and no rain... the digging will be tough... but the silver will show up! and my point will be proven!

gunwale, don't see/hear to many say that, but many of my deepest coins also have come from dry ground. Coins to my old ears seem to be more "smeared" and less distinct at depth in very wet ground. I do get more then 3-4" in wet ground, however. HH jim tn

gunwale, don't see/hear to many say that, but many of my deepest coins also have come from dry ground. Coins to my old ears seem to be more "smeared" and less distinct at depth in very wet ground. I do get more then 3-4" in wet ground, however. HH jim tn
My E-trac sings out a silver in dry ground.. in wet ground it's a fight!

Huh???-----Over MANY years my deepest silver finds has ALWAYS been in moist ground---after a good soaking rain where the ground is very moist but not muddy.------Given that situation my wife & I are definitely out on hunts.-----Iron is "set off" also in that scenario---but---you can't have everything perfect.

Yeah, I’m in the moist ground camp for best detecting with my SE-Pro.
Well, now that I think about any detector I have ever owned and over 35+ years it’s been a few. 🤔

the ground here is highly mineralized... not like normal soil up north where i could get deep in wet soil...here I'm lucky when running in auto it hit's 9 or 10... the dirt/earth is not the same everywhere... I prefer dry ground because my detector does...

the ground here is highly mineralized... not like normal soil up north where i could get deep in wet soil...here I'm lucky when running in auto it hit's 9 or 10... the dirt/earth is not the same everywhere... I prefer dry ground because my detector does...
I agree…, in some places, I believe that dry ground is better.
If low mineralization, wet or damp is a plus, but not in Red clay is what I have found.

Curious observations. I can totally understand the dry vs wet debate here if the detector was sending electrical impulses but they send sound style impulses. Wet and dry should not be a factor. Would the frequency being sent be more of a question?

I’ve had luck in both scenarios, one of my best hunts was in saturated ground .. consistent moisture content helps too, BUT I find the worse scenario to be dry soil with only the top inch or two wet totally kills my depth... sometimes I believe dryer soil despite limiting depth can somewhat help with separation...

Huh???-----Over MANY years my deepest silver finds has ALWAYS been in moist ground---after a good soaking rain where the ground is very moist but not muddy.------Given that situation my wife & I are definitely out on hunts.-----Iron is "set off" also in that scenario---but---you can't have everything perfect.
IN the Oregon; Portland area to be exact; I have my best luck about 1.5 to 2 days after a good hard rain. I do believe that too much water in the ground can smear or just overload the eddy current part of how a detector signals a find. That day or two after scenario (for me) gives enough wet to sound out the deeper and smaller targets w/o the fuzzy or smeared sounds that gunwolf has described. Brought to you by 'nwdetectorist' and the voices in my head. :)