Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Simplex went to Minnesota!

jim tn

I don't post much about my finds anymore and don't do the camera thing anymore, either. Did, though, want to pass along that the Simplex + performed very nicely for me while my wife and I spent 10 days just recently up at a resort in northern Mn. A spot that we have been going to for 25 years...so yes, the resort and other area spots have been hunted numerous times over the years. The Simplex did share hunting time with my Nox 600, but it more then held its own.

Besides the resort for hunting on, the nearby small town (population 3300) harbors a 112 year old fairgrounds, three small, older city parks plus a forth park that is newer and larger, along with a few other places that afford one the chance to swing a detector. And, of course, detecting is shared with things like fishing, hiking and biking, and so on. But, I typically get in some hunting time almost daily while we are up there.

Over all during the trip, I recovered 7 silver coins, 2 silver rings, 3 I H cents and 1 V and 1 Buffalo nickel, as well as several wheat cents. Oh, and almost $15.00 in modern coinage. $8.77 of the clad total came from a tot lot type of play area in the newer city park swinging the Simplex. It was apparent a coil hadn't been swung in the chips tot lot since we were up there two years ago. Missed the usual trip up there in 2020.

The Simplex acquired 2 Mercury dimes from the sand beach area and a 49 Rosie from a small field behind the cabins. The Merc's came about, I suspect, when a recent 4" rain washed 3' or so of sand out into the shallows of the lake. Of which, the resort owner then pushed back up onto the beach with his tractor and front blade. It also got 1 of it's 2 I H's from the beach and the other from one of the parks. The I H from the park was pretty scratchy, but was at least 7" deep and heavily corroded. Did get a date of 1904 off of it, though. The 1 from the beach was 1900. (The resort's been around since 1912) Also got a junk mens ring from the beach. I was kind of surprised to recover the 49 Rosie from the resort field as I have had a fair number of detectors on it over the years. Just goes to show, huh?

I ran the Simplex pretty straight forward, Park 1, get a good ground balance and sensitivity 6-7 bars. The latter, about 50/50. It gets a bit hyper/sparky, running sen. wide open, but it is deeper and one gets used to it. Being a fresh water beach and it was performing just like on land, I simply left it and hunted with it in Park 1. I left the larger stock coil on all the time and over all, experienced no emi issues anywhere I hunted.

Besides it being fun to use, the Simplex is pretty darn capable. So much so, that N/M's upcoming SMF machine is becoming quite intriguing. HH jim tn

Sounds like you found a bit of detecting heaven there….!