Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Sovereign Amplifier

plugger

Well, I am always interested in trying the latest invention for my favorite detector, the Minelab Sovereign. I was one of the first to try the Patriot meter and I still consider it to be the very best meter ever made for the Sovereign. Now, along comes the AMP and I just had to try one! I like to hunt with a very light setup because of some very serious physical limitations: bad knees, bad rotor cuffs and two very sore elbows. I used a nice straight rod with the S-8 coil which only weighs 2 pounds max and I used an oversized fanny pack that has been modified to slip onto a padded 3" Dewalts work belt to carry my GT control box and the AMP, along with a sidekick pouch that carrries everything else that I will need on a hunt. Everything I need is on that belt: my 9" bladed knife for cutting plugs & prying out cobbles at the beach, a bottle of water, cardboard tubes for separating the goodies & trash and I even hang my sand scoop on the handle of the knife. Saturday morning (yesterday) I went to one of my local beaches here in Carlsbad (Calif) and the first thing I did was to bury a Nickle, a Dime & a Quarter, just out of the range of my 8" coil and then I turned the AMP on and it very easily locked onto all three targets. I then proceded to hunt for two hours using the AMP and dug 37 good targets ($2.17) and I was quite pleased with how well the targets sounded off and I can honestly say that several of them seemed deeper than I normally expect to dig when using an 8" coil. That is exactly why I wanted to try the AMP! If I can get a few more inches of depth with my small (light) coil, it will save wear and tear on my poor body and allow me to hunt for longer periods without using a bigger (heavier) coil. I think Shaun's unit is very well designed and works as advertised and with his money back guarantee, I would recommend it to anyone who, like me is looking for a bit more depth without the trauma of using a larger, much heavier coil. Sovereign users know from experience that you need to hunt slow and keep your coil low to the ground for the best results and when using this new device, it is true as well. It is now a permanent part of my GT setup and I can't wait to get out with it again! Here's a picture of the fanny pack setup:

The first pic on the left, shows the GT control box and the AMP and Battery pack in the same compartment. Also notice that I use cable restraint loop and a snap hook attached to my belt to make sure that there is no strain on the connections, just in case I drop my rod. The fanny pack is sold online at www.beltoutlet.com for about $20 delivered. I have only used 2 in almost 8 years so they hold up real well. I have no financial interest in this company. The belt is also available online for around $20 and there several companies who sell it. Thanks for looking & Happy Hunting!

Maybe Minelab will buy the design and include it in the next Sovereign model. Hint,Hint!!!!:thumbup:

Plugger,

Thanks for the post. My AMP should be arriving here today to use on my Sovereign GT.

I will post some extensive tests as soon as possible.

I just purchased the Black Wolf "Aperture". It's designed to house an SLR camera body or lens but it fits the GT perfectly.
Very well made, 100% protection from the elements. It even has a rain hood built in that covers the whole case.
The AMP and battery will fit in just fine. Plenty of padding as well. I like it as all the GT controls are easily accessible and point up at you.

The case is a bit pricey at $50 Aussie (cheaper in the USA). The only surgery is to cut a 1" slit in the base of the case for the cable to join through to the control box.

I have it on a diver's web belt. It slides around the back when I'm actually swinging the detector.

Sounds like you are pleased with the AMP.

Regards,
Tony
:ausflag:

I got one a while back and put it on my GT and did a few air test and seen some of the real iffy one when turning on the amp were nice solid signals. I tried it on and wave the coil over a coin and see how far away I could get before signal would break up and then get a good solid signal and turn it off and got no signal at all, so I feel it does make a difference. I used it one day for a hour or 2 in a old park and didnt get much but some deeper trash that was iffy. I sold my GT and ordered in a new one so I put it on a XS2a I had and it seem to chatter too much when it was on so I wasnt able to test it too much. Now I just got to get the time to put it back on the new GT and give it a good try out as i feel it is going to make a difference in some of the deeper targets that are good. I also feel I may dig a little more trash too that is deep, but that is OK too as long as I get some of the deep coins others are missing.