Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Sovereign is one of the most modified detectors around.

Ron from Michigan

Staff member
My goal in buying one of these is to look for a Sovereign without modifications. Ones with aftermarket rod assemblies are a plus. HH Ron

The problem is finding one that someone hasn't modified as I had found out. The mods externally is OK, but the one someone has opened up and and mess with the pots inside to try to make it better, but just mess it up so it will not work as it is intended to work are the one I tried to stay away from. I have gotten a few that were this way when I got them and was able to get them back to work as they should. My self I like the plug in battery system as the drop in one seem to loosen up the battery door and then you have bad connection between the battery and connection plus the plug in batteries are still available and with much more running time on them. This is a mod I have done on some I bought and sold plus I put a piece of shrink tubing on the plug in so it is on the plug and wire so it don't get pulled apart.
The one mod I never used, but wanted to was the one where Joe Patrick put a 180 meter in where the speaker was as I feel that was a slick deal and made it feel lighter too. then there was the straight shaft you could balance the Sovereign which too was a great deal as it didnt feel as heavy and it was just well balanced.

Good Luck Ron in finding a great Sovereign

Rick

Just got a sovereign gt and i don't know if someone messed around with the pots inside. after few outings looks like is not going so deep as they say. i'm doing field detecting, not beach. Rick, what mod's i should do (regarding electronics) to make it more deep?
another problem is that threshold is not stable. i had read that if coil passes over a non ferrous target, after the beep, the threshold will remain high" and if coil passes over iron/ go mute or low conductive threshold will sound low". in my case the time for the threshold to come back to the original sound it is more than 10seconds. is it normal?
thanks

Just got a sovereign gt and i don't know if someone messed around with the pots inside. after few outings looks like is not going so deep as they say. i'm doing field detecting, not beach. Rick, what mod's i should do (regarding electronics) to make it more deep?
another problem is that threshold is not stable. i had read that if coil passes over a non ferrous target, after the beep, the threshold will remain high" and if coil passes over iron/ go mute or low conductive threshold will sound low". in my case the time for the threshold to come back to the original sound it is more than 10seconds. is it normal?
thanks
The Gt takes a little time to get use to.. I find iron mask on usually gives best depth...however in certain areas it can suffer due to ground make up..I would suggest you do some air tests using coins and nails at varying distances from each other..this should help you understand how iron affects detection.. you should be able to air test a quarter or penny at 8” pretty easily.. the GT likes bigger coins..I’ve found many large cents 8”,-10” deep that gave very solid signals.. I’ve also failed to find smaller coins much shallower that other machines struggled but were able to find just due to all the other signal depleting substances in the target zone.. the 10 second delay for threshold to come back is very common at the beach with the Excalibur’s so it might not necessarily mean you have problem with the gt.. I usually start out with sensitivity at about 12 o’clock straight up and dial it down a little as needed to keep from falsing ..in really tough ground it might be necessary to hunt in auto ... it’s best to keep a relatively constant buzz while swinging..if sensitivity is too high you get extended moments of nulling along with repeatable signals on iron which is what you are trying to avoid..also remember that it’s usually best to swing the GT a little slower that most machines especially in trashier areas as separation is slower with the GT due to it’s longer slightly exaggerated signal response... it certainly is a great machine I find for beach and farm field hunting..

I got this one about a year ago. Previous owner used it about 5 times then he bought an excalibur ii. Only mods are a Ron's meter and the tape over the speaker. Previous owner is scared of working on anything he has me work on his excalibur. I'm positive he never opened it up. I paid $300.00 for detector and 10 inch coil. Not for sale but they are still around. I tell everybody I know, if they run across any detectors for sale let me know.

Attachments

• 20200212_201543.jpg
    20200212_201543.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 305
  • 20200212_201528.jpg
    20200212_201528.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
Today i found aluminium button and burried at 30cm. With sens in auto, fix gb, i could get just a faint signal in all metal mode and disc on nothing. With sens at max in all metal mode same thing, faint signal. But when i switched to disc ON (fix gb, sens max) i got strong signal. It is possible that the allmetal mode channel is broken?
What type of headphones for inland you guys found to be good? I’m interested in speaker type (normal/piezo) and impedance (resistance).
Thanks for answering

Since the new format of the new forums I dont see the info on the Sovereigns that Ron had pinned to help us all as there was a lot of good info on it.
I had many pieces of info that would help you and going to try and remember some of them I learned from Experience for me to be very successful with my Sovereigns as I had used all the different model that were made. The GT for me was the best for me, but the XS I felt was better for the newbies. The coils too the best for me to learn it was with the 8 inch coinsearch coil that was not waterproof that came on the original and the XS.These seem to make the signal easier to hear to help understand it.
The Sovereign many gave up on shortly after they got one, but those that took the time found this detector is easy to use, so I always say don't give up. I had one guy learned his in less than a week and did good while others never did after a month or so. This depends on how much you use it and get to understand it well.
First thing is the Sovereign is a slow sweep speed so if you swing the coil faster you will lose depth as it dont have time to see all the targets, in some cases you can not sweep the coil too slow, but easy to swing too fast. My deeper coins have been found by going supper slow in well worked out area which I learned by accident in old park after I got to know my Sovereign well. I was in a park that was heavy worked and was in the way of some Frisbee Golfers so I went behind a big tree so I wouldnt get hit. I was just barely moving the coil a little and got a change of threshold and and did the Sovereign wiggle and heard something weak and deep sounding so I dug down over 9 inches and got a older wheatie !920). I then went slow around that tree and got 6 more coins. The Sovereign will keep the tone of the last target it see until it sees the next target. In area with a lot of iron you will hear the low tone of iron and the nulling more than anything.
For me I only use the disc and keep my iron mask on so I can hear coins close to iron, but will false more, but know how to handle it myself. Volume is always at max on the detector as this is the target volume which you need to hear if you want deeper targets. Many that say they dont get the depth is the volume is too low or swinging the coil too fasts so it don't have time to hear the deep ones. To begin with sensitivity is in auto which make it easier to learn, this is all the way counterclockwise until it clicks. When you turn the know back on is max sensitivity and lower as you go clockwise. I run mine about 9 to 10 O'clock position most of the time and adjust my swing speed accordingly. Disc is set on mine as low asit goes or just a slight disc so I can hear everything and use my ears (which are bad) and my 180 meter to read tones that are just too close.

I will have more to post but I having problems with my computer right now, so will add more later on when I get it checked out and get some time to add more.

Rick

Hello Rick, many thanks for tips. I went out today with 15” coiltek. Little heavy for me (i was using xp deus for the last 5years). Got good result. Looks like deepest for me is max sens (not auto) and disc on. Found one coin at 30cm clear repetable signal. Allmetal only give faint signals but come helpful when i have iron in the hole and want to pinpoint for it to see what it is (usualy deep rusty iron) For the future i want to build full carbon rod and armrest, all metal/disc on switch on the hand grip and buy/build lighter coil. (Maybe ultimate 13).