Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Teknetics Pinpointer

Eddie Currents

My Teknetics Pinpointer arrived today, about 3-4 days after I ordered it from Cabela's. The cost was about $60 + $9 s/h and includes a 9v battery and 5 year warranty from First Texas.

My first reaction was pleasant surprise at the small size and light weight of the unit. I lug enough stuff around with me as it is when I hunt, so any improvement in the weight or bulk department is welcome. It's the smallest pinpointer for our hobby that I've seen. It's under 10" in overall length and weighs in at only 5 oz. with battery.

Having only one knob at the base of the probe, it's very simple to operate. The knob is a combination on/off and sensitivity control. Just twist the knob to turn it on and it begins buzzing immediately. Keep turning the knob until it stops and you're ready to go.

It's an audible-only pinpointer with no silent vibrate mode or indicator light. However, the buzzer itself causes a light vibration that can be felt so it doesn't appear to really need a vibrating mechanism (which would make the unit bigger and heavier too).

Mine will sound off on most coins at about an inch away from the tip and perpendicular to it. Less if the coin is at an angle. Larger targets will produce a signal at up to about 2 inches or more depending on their size. About 1 inch of the pinpointer's tip is sensitive.

As for ruggedness, I'll have to wait and see. The "plastic" outer shell covers from tip to the battery compartment at the base. It doesn't seem like it would be particularly delicate but I wouldn't try to use it as a pry bar. I don't think it's waterproof but it appears to be at least fairly dust resistant. The bottom end pulls off to reveal a 9v battery compartment. The latch for the battery cover looks like it may be a weak point but we'll see about that too.

I will try to get out this weekend to try it out but it looks good so far. Pinpointers have always seemed bigger and more expensive to me than they need to be and I think this one proves the point.

EC

Well I used the pinpointer a while this morning. I wish it either had a louder buzzer or a bit more vibration or an indicator light because it wasn't always easy to tell when it was sounding off with headphones on and a threshhold tone on the detector. But it otherwise did work well and I could usually hear/feel it. I love the small size and light weight too.

EC