Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The true meaning of "Filters"

Explorer

I am trying to get my brain wrapped around the explanation of the filters in the manual and the statement

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Modern metal detector ground filtration is no longer a specific set of components, (inductors, capacitors, etc.) that used to equal a specific filter. How the software works has never been well described. Modern filter designs are better described by their speed rather than their quantity or cycles. The ideal setting for your ground type is the one that offers the greatest depth penetration that also works best with your personal and typical search coil sweep speed.

No a 5 hz filter doesn't clip 5 hz signals and a 10 hz filter doesn't clip 10 hz signals..

A BAND pass filter passes a group of signals within a certain range, and attenuates signals on either side of that range.
A HIGH pass filter passes a group of signals within a certain range, and attenuates signals below that range.

The more the signal is filtered could cause loss of depth.

Thanks Rob your answer does help. I was hung up on the Hertz and was thinking more along the lines of a transmitter-receiver-coils types of filters.
Modern metal detectors being a mix of transmitter/receiver (analog) and computer (digital) I was trying to understand where the filtration was taking place. If I understand your explanation, the filtration is being done after conversion from analog to digital. The digital data is then analyzed and any stray data not meeting the criteria or data ranges set forth by the filter is tossed out. The remaining data set is further analyzed to meet known criteria for various targets.

It's possible but I didn't design the detector or software. You would have to ask the engineering department.

The filters you can change are in the software (digital). But there are filters in the analog circuitry as well.

Every hunting ground is different and the number of choices for a new V3i user can be overwhelming even for an old dog like me. I was trying to narrow down the starting points to increase your first time hunting luck.

It appears to me that if you are detecting in any area that has

AK1234, wrote the software so you can believe the information. You are also correct about the high pass filter use. If you can use a high pass you might get more depth because you are filtering less signal.

I use mostly 5 hz in my area. Just make sure you adjust gain lower until the target is just being detected, then try the different filters to find the best.