Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The "Vision" housing--bad, good, or "meh"?

Hi, everyone,

I was one of the original proud owners of the "Vision" when it first became available. I think the serial number might have been under 20. Over the course of time, I had the detector's software updated to the v3, then to the v3i software. I was told, "the only thing original now is the housing."

So one question is, how common is the "Vision" housing? Do many of you out there have it, or is it pretty rare, since there weren't many of them sold before the copyright infrigement was discovered and the name changed. I discovered how sensitive this question was when I won a "find of the month" at White's and they doctored my photo so my detector said "v3i" rather than the actual "Vision" on the housing.

The second question is, when I go to sell this detector, do you think the "Vision" housing will make it more attractive (as a rarity) less attractive (as an oddity) or neither? I imagine I will keep having to explain that it's a v3i even though it doesn't say that it is, which I imagine will cause some people to doubt me and to question whether the detector really is what I say it is.

Maybe before trying to sell it, I should go to White's and get a letter that says that although it says Vision it's really a V3i. I believe that it would really be unfair for someone to have problems selling the detector just because they bought one of the first ones and the name changed afterwards. Maybe, though, someone will realize the rarity of the housing and want it, I just don't know.

So again, who has the "Vision" housing, and do you have any advice about how to market it when the time comes to sell it?

Thanks,

Mike

I thought when the detector was sent in to Whites for the V3 to V3i upgrade that Whites slapped a V3i sticker on the box.

As for the question if it is more valuable if it just says V3 on the box I do not think so. In fact I would think it is less valuable because people will think it does not have the lastest and greatest software version on it.

Regards

1 - There is a code for the serial numbers, so saying was it's the 20th Vision ever made is not necessarily a true statement.
2 - When it was upgraded, there should have been an "i" sticker put on the outside of the control box, unless someone removed it.
3 - You said you were told "the only thing original now is the housing", well this is not a true statement either. There was/is no change in the hardware, so this would also be original to the unit unless the board had to be replaced.
4 - What it says on the box is irrelevant and should not be used to interpret the value of the detector because when a Vision/V3 is upgraded the system is completely erased so there is nothing on the board - it's blank just like the new circuit boards put into new V3i's. Then the V3i software is installed, as is done on new units coming off the line at the factory.
5 - The value is in how well the unit has been taken care of and whether there is any warranty left - which starts from the date of purchase, or if no warranty was filed and it gets sold as a used unit then we go by the date of manufacture.
6 - To prove to someone that it is a V3i, simply turn the unit on, look at the screen and you will find what version you have either V3 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 or a V3i.
7 - The software serial number indicates at which location the upgrade was performed.

I hope this answers some of your questions!
Andrea

Thanks andreak77 for the great info. When I traded in my prototype, I could have had a Vision box. I choose the V3i box.

Hi again,

Well, to clarify one thing, I know that on one occasion they pulled out everything electronic from the guts of the detector and replaced it. They didn't just re-program it somehow, they decided it ALL needed to be replaced. That's why they told me nothing original was left except the housing. They replaced the coil that day, too, saying that it had failed certain tests.

Anyway, White's has always provided top-notch service. I am fortunate to live close to Sweet Home. Every single time I have gone there for help, I get it, always friendly, always beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. I've been there when people bring in OLD machines, from the 1960's or 1970's, and they get the same excellent quality of service I do with a v3i.

I'll be going back to Sweet Home again soon, as my detector is clearly not performing right again. I have a number of coins planted in my lawn and the detector's not locking in on them, regardless of what I do with settings. When I make it up there, I have every reason to believe White's will do everything to get it right, even though the detector is out of warranty. In 60 years of life, a person does business with a lot of people in a lot of companies. I have to say that NO ONE in any type of business has ever treated me better than White's!

Mike

Anything can happen on one occasion but removing all the electrics is not part of a typical upgrade.

im the only one here with one, lol :starwars: .... I bought it a couple of years ago ..i almost died when I got it, coz I didn't know about the copyright issue( ( still really don't), and thought I had some chinese copy or something , lol ..it has the 'embedded I software' sticker next to the 'vision' and it boots up as a v3i, so im happy...this thing is immaculate,and like the op, I thought one day it might be a talking point or maybe I,d swap a whites fanatic,(even more than me) , something for the curiosity value lol.. :) attached is a photo of my baby ...

that's hard to say on resale value..coz as it has been said, all intents and puposes it is exactly the same machine produced then as now...probably depends how many of the suckers are still out there in the wilderness, lol :shrug:

You'd be surprised how many people still call us that know someone or saw someone hunting with a "Vision" but they can't find it on the website or in the catalog anywhere. Or if a Dealer has his personal unit to demo the v3i for the customer but the customer just wants to make sure that it's really a V3i and that the dealer is actually an authorized White's dealer. Or they bought one online from ebay or craigslist and think they've been duped or that it's not a V3i.

On the flip side - I've had customers inquiring about the Quantum XT in a catalog that's eons old!
Yup, pretty regular occurrence.

I've seen on some pass Ebay live Auctions on The Original Vision's with The V3I Upgrade Decal .

The Auctions ended under $900 with the WL Headphone's

anton said:
im the only one here with one, lol :starwars: .... I bought it a couple of years ago ..i almost died when I got it, coz I didn't know about the copyright issue( ( still really don't), and thought I had some chinese copy or something , lol ..it has the 'embedded I software' sticker next to the 'vision' and it boots up as a v3i, so im happy...this thing is immaculate,and like the op, I thought one day it might be a talking point or maybe I,d swap a whites fanatic,(even more than me) , something for the curiosity value lol.. :) attached is a photo of my baby ...

Hi Anton;

I have one also, mint condition. Purchased it as The Vision Spectra (V3 level), from a dealer who sent it directly to Whites for the new V3i upgrade. They replaced/upgraded the software (rom), replaced the control Pod, replaced the wireless headphone, ear muffs, etc. and affixed the new (i)/international sticker to it, certifying that it is a genuine factory upgraded V3i/Vision.

I feel lucky to have it as a collectible.

Thanks,

HH

Yes, the Vision is becoming scarcer. I purchased mine in the Spring of '09 and never upgraded the unit to " i ". Why, because I liked the settings for it better than the upgrade version.

The only issue it had was the volume was set too high where it would blown your ears off! So I sent it back just for the adjustment or specifically just for that.

Sure yours may say "Vision" but others would agree after updating to the " i ", it is now the V3i w/sticker. It would of been beneficial if kept in its original state (no mods) and kept in its original box... Then you would have had something to talk about.

Here again, hindsight is 20-20 and maybe a cult following just like the Troy MD's.

TC-NM