Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The work pays off!

bhershey

My preparation for this season has yielded results! First I scrubbed my county tax website for dates that houses were built in the county, then geocoded the addresses for lat/longs, then made Google maps. Two days ago I sent permission letters to 11 of the oldest houses in my area. I have 26 pre-1851 homes within a 2 mile radius (8 of them pre-1780).

I got a response back tonight from a homeowner of a 1740 home on 8 acres. They've been in the house for 20 years, and have never had it detected! One person was there about 15 years ago looking for a ruby/gold ring that the owner lost, never found it, and hunted only a small patch of lawn. Wouldn't it be SWEEET if I found it for her!

Over the years they've uncovered around 10 coins just from gardening around the house and walking through the fields... the oldest being 1836. There are multiple foundations where buildings once stood, and HUGE, very old trees in their yard.

As you can imagine I'm on quite a high right now! They invited me over Monday night for an introduction and to chat about the property history. Weather permitting I'll demo the Excel for them, a perfect detector for an initial survey. Later I'll power hunt with the C$ of course :)

Ahh this is what I love about this hobby... the anticipation of hunting a prime spot is before me now, woohooo! I'm already looking forward to posting my experiences here, thanx and stay tuned!

Brian
Lancaster County
Willow Street, PA, USA

Congratulations Brian. Sounds like all that effort is starting to pay off. That's the key to this hobby. You've sown the seeds, now it's time to reap the rewards.

Good luck, and please keep us posted. I'm sure you will have good success.

OldeTymer

Sure I'll share it... it's works wonders for me. The last time I sent letters out (two seasons ago), I stopped by 5 or 6 of them and they all said yes! That kept me busy for a year, then took a year off cause I didn't know when to stop swinging and injured my shoulder :(

I think it answers the major concerns all in one letter. I also insert a picture of a small display case that I gave another homeowner of some indian heads and a civil war era eagle button I found... it fuels their curiosity big time! I'm not suggesting you use the attached pic, it's just an example of course! :)

Good Day!

I recently bought a house in Willow Street, and I

What would you say your success rate is with the letter? 50/50 or better? I'm wondering if you or any one else reading this has had any success with permissions for land that is owned by investment companies? There is some prime land around me slated for development but many of these firms are located out of state. Getting the address of the company is no problem, I'm just wondering who you would address the letter to. It obvious when the land is owned by an individual but not so obvious when owned by these investment firms. There must be a way to do it because I've noticed hunt clubs have somehow obtained permission. Any hunt club members out there?

Thanks Bill and to all who commented.

Hey Bill, how do you hunt fields at old properties like this.. dig every positive, repeatable signal? I'm thinking of starting that way, then adjust as needed, like if a bunch of modern trash is found I could bump up the desc. or move to a different spot.

It seems no matter what the plan is going in, I naturally end up in hotspot areas that give up the best finds... usually off front porches, along walkways and sidewalks, places where people would get in and out of carriages and buggies, etc.

I've never tried hunting fields, so just wondered how you do it in general. I've had access for three years to an early 1700's property with 50 acres of fields and haven't tried them once yet.

Thanx!
Brian

No great secrets really ;) I do just set the disc @ 00 & dig all positives. Another tip may be if you have one of the larger coils, I chest or hipmount & use the bigger coil to cover more turf....
HH,
Bill

It's far better than 50/50... I'd say more than 80%+. Like I mentioned, last time I sent out letters, every place I stopped at said yes. In the letter I don't require them to call or respond by letter or anything... no pressure.. I just say I'll stop in soon and introduce myself. Of course I supply my address, phone and email and let them decide how to respond, if at all.

Brian

as that lets them know in advance your coming, & your not knocking on the door with just a cold call out of the blue. Plus, as you said, they don't have to go out of their way to call or e-mail you....your doing the legwork. Thanks again for a post that could help all of us get into some of those old yards.....
HH,
Bill

Thanx Bill!, and you don't even need to do the technical online web searching I was doing. See an old property, note the address and send a letter and make it out to "Home Owner". I've done that before too. Then stop in a week or two later.

It just takes a couple hours effort like that to drive around, note down a dozen addresses, write the letters, and it's almost a sure thing you'll have enough permissions to keep you busy for at least a couple years.

I still get a bit nervous before I meet people for the first time, but once you get unrestricted access to come and go as you please on a 1700's property, man oh man it's worth it :)

I had a first meeting at a 1740 farm home last night, went well and the place is full of history... was a hospital/care center during the civil war for one thing. The area around the sidewalk is full of signals, but the ground is too dry and hard... doing my rain dance as we type!! hehehe :)

Good hunting!
Brian