Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

There must be more MD'ers around here

HickFu

I have only seen one other guy with a metal detector around my area, Ventura Ca. But there must be more!! I went to all the beaches around here after the 3 day weekend and the beaches were clean of all coins. I cannot believe that everyone that went to the beach left their money and jewelry at home and cleaned up their own trash :shrug:

Hey Fu,

I live in the Santa Monica 2 miles from the pier and beach. Well I went down to the beach to detect late one day a few weeks back, and I ran into a couple guys coming off the beach with detectors. I tried to talk with them but they didn't come across as really wanting to be sociable. They were not interested in anything I had to say except when I mentioned places in the area I like to go and then they were all ears. I quickly noticed they offered no return information so I shut up and offered little more myself. Once I stopped dishing out info they ignored me and kept packing to leave. The only thing I could really get out of them was they were down here from Ventura, but they could learn a thing or two about the golden rule. I could tell by looking at their gear they were setup for fast beach combing and little else.

So no I would say you are not alone and you are right, beaches are not self cleaning. Yes most cities run cleaning equipment over the sand, but it is not THAT good. I rarely find trash on our beaches which means they are being hunted well, not to mention it is really not the season for beach goers just yet.

The Shark

Shark,

Sorry for the rude way you were treated by people from my area. I guess i'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for these guys. I dont mind people getting to the beach before me (my fault if i dont get there early) but i really dont like rude people. I would love to have someone to hunt with but they have to be good people for me to hang out with them. I was thinking about hitting the beach at Venice or Malibu but its a pretty far drive so I havent went yet.

Tim

Tim,

Let me know when you want to go and I will be happy drive up to Malibu and meet you for a beach hunt. If you can go it will be great and if you can't that will be fine as well - I'm easy. I live in Santa Monica during the week for work so it would have to be afternoon/evening after work, but I am game when and if you are. My only exception would be weekends - I am in the High Desert at my permanent home with family then. I have met a few folks here and on another forum from the LA area. We make plans, the day rolls around, I wait and wait, or go to the location to wait and........... they are a no call - no show. And worse they don't even acknowldge later that they stood me up. Not cool! :rant: Everyone that knows me well knows that I am a very nice guy, that abruptly ends when it comes to impolite and ignorant people. These folks have demonstrated they are flakes so I don't bother with them anymore.

Not your fault the "Ventura folks" acted poorly - they are not your kids :lol: and you shouldn't feel bad about it. I agree, good people are a must and those two jokers were wrapped up in themselves a bit. I see this hobby just like my poker hobby - give and take. Someone took the time to teach me how to play well and I feel I have an obligation to do the same with others that want help. Detecting is no different really. Folks have been patient with me and shared their ideas and experience and I think should do the same with others. Not to mention this hobby is just too much fun.

The Shark

My few trips to the Jersey shore were "duds" too. We have packed beaches all summer weather permitting. New York and Pennsylvania folks visit too.
One two hour hunt yielded 13 bottle caps,,(Budweiser beat Corona 7 to 6 caps), and two pennies. Kept checking my cail against my Lesche to be sure everything was working at first.
I've heard of guys here covering beaches by walking shoulder to shoulder 5-6 men across swinging their coils in rythym to cover the beach faster. They all stop as a unit to check a signal. Everyone I know goes to or recommends the beach to hunt. Particulary after a large storm.