Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thin double headed eagle disk

I need help identifying this disk that has the Russian coat of arms on it, there's no other details that I can visibly find on the disk.

It's a very thin disk and the double headed eagle is on both sides of it.

I dug it up at my home, which is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan near Lake Superior. (U.S)

As you can see it's bigger than a U.S modern day quarter with the image I provided below.

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting find, PenguS.

The Imperial Russian Coat of Arms as appears on your disk was used from 1721-1917 with slight variants in the design. Hard to tell from your pics, but see if you can tell which way the figure of St. George on horseback in the shield is facing and that will help narrow down the date.

Prior to 1882, the figure is facing right
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.48.51 AM.png

From 1882 to 1917 when the Russian revolution overthrew the Czar, the figure of St. George is facing left.

Gerb_rossii2.svg.png
From your pics, this image appears to be the backside of the disk, showing a reverse image of the coat of arms (orb held to the left, scepter to the right):
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.46.56 AM.png

Which means this is the side intended to be facing outwards:

8535-625834ffbc97113132cf9c18e2f3c564.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics, appears the coat of arms has been stamped into the thin metal from the reverse, making an embossed image on the front? On the front of the disk, is that white porcelain or enamel on the copper/brass?

Last edited:
No idea what the white side is, it could be enamel, it feels the same as the other side so I doubt it's porcelain. I dug this thing up 12 inches right under a concrete pathway that goes around my house.

It could be enamel or something because as you can see some of it appears to be peeling off a bit, because you see a straight line of brown going down the left side. That's a crack that formed due to it being underground for all those years, so maybe you're right that that side could have been purposely applied with a whitish color.

Though I do believe it is 100% between 1882 to 1917 because the horse as I can see is indeed facing the other way, not only that but my property used to be first inhabited around the late 1800's/early 1900's according to the family that used to own it. The house has lots of history, the people who moved in after the 1st person who lived had a dairy farm plopped on an acre. Not only that, but there was even a bootleg operation that went on inside the basement of my house. When I got the property I immediately found out a story they told when they found out that their "Great Grandpa" used to bootleg.

It doesn't end there, it turns out the house was moved from a different area to the area it is in rn due to a mining operation that began on this house's original property.

However, no one knows the origin's of the first person who had it as he wasn't apart of the family tree according to the previous owners, but maybe he was the one who dropped the disk.

From the size and the material, two things come to mind that it might have been...

That copper alloy material was often plated with gold or silver, but when we find it in the ground often times the plating has corroded off... might have been a cover from a pocket watch, there are quite a few examples of these bearing the Imperial Russian coat of arms....
Tsar Alexander III. – A presentation pocket watch, - Silver and Russian  Silver 2019/05/16 - Realized price: EUR 5,760 - Dorotheum
A silver savonette pocket watch with Imperial Russian double-headed Stock  Photo - Alamy

But with the white enamel, thinking more a lid from a pill box, which would be about the same size and more likely to be enamelled. This sort of thing:

images.jpg
s-l400.jpg
royal-collection-imperial-russian_360_6b49215a60191631dbf4fbda98358c44.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 11.36.49 AM.png

Those pill boxes, for example that blue one with the fella proposing to the fancy lady were often produced by stamping the embossed design from the backside of the lid, gold plating, then enamelling the background. I've looked, but can't see an exact match to yours right off, but thinking it might be a step in the right direction.

Great find, PenguS., thanks for posting. Would be interesting if you could make a connection with the property to pre-revolutionary Russia.... a russian immigrant family, possibly a souvenir brought back from WWI? :thumbup:

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty interesting stuff. Tbh the cover could have belonged to any type of pill box from back then, and it definitely is the exact size for one. I've looked all over coin wise/medal wise and haven't found a single similar match in that field. I definitely believe it is from a pill box though, so thank you for the info.

Maybe it's Russian, but maybe someone wanted to design the cover to resemble the Russian eagle from back then. :p

Maybe, but it does match the kinds of decorative items the Russians were reknowned for producing at the time. Some history of Russian immigration from that time period to the USA, particularly White russians (loyal to the Czar) and Jewish. As with most immigrants, Scottish, German, Irish, etc, they always seemed most at home in climates that reminded them of the old country, so Russian immigrants in Michigan was a comfortable fit.

From the web:

First wave (1870–1915)​

St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Cleveland, est. in 1896.
The first massive wave of immigration from all areas of Europe to the United States took place in the late 19th century, following the 1862 enactment of the Homestead Act. Although some immigration took place earlier – the most notable example being Ivan Turchaninov, who immigrated in 1856 and became a United States Army brigadier general during the Civil War– millions traveled to the new world in the last decade of the 19th century, some for political reasons, some for economic reasons, and some for a combination of both. Between 1820 and 1870 only 7,550 Russians immigrated to the United States, but starting with 1881, immigration rate exceeded 10,000 a year: 593,700 in 1891–1900, 1.6 million in 1901–1910, 868,000 in 1911–1914, and 43,000 in 1915–1917.[12]

The most prominent Russian groups that immigrated in this period were Carpatho-Rusyns from Austria-Hungary who self-identified as Russians and those groups from Imperial Russia seeking freedom from religious persecution. The latter included Russian Jews, escaping the 1881–1882 pogroms by Alexander III, who moved to New York City and other coastal cities; the Spiritual Christians, treated as heretics at home, who settled largely in the Western United States in the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco,[12][13] and Portland, Oregon;[14] two large groups of Shtundists who moved to Virginia and the Dakotas,[12] and mostly between 1874 and 1880 German-speaking Anabaptists, Russian Mennonites and Hutterites, who left the Russian Empire and settled mainly in Kansas (Mennonites), the Dakota Territory, and Montana (Hutterites). Finally in 1908–1910, the Old Believers, persecuted as schismatics, arrived and settled in small groups in California, Oregon (particularly the Willamette Valley region),[14] Pennsylvania, and New York.[12] Immigrants of this wave include Irving Berlin, legend of American songwriting and André Tchelistcheff, influential Californian winemaker.

Russian immigrant home, New York City, 1910—1915.
World War I dealt a heavy blow to Russia. Between 1914 and 1918, starvation and poverty increased in all parts of Russian society, and soon many Russians questioned the War's purpose and the government's competency. The war intensified anti-Semitic sentiment. Jews were accused of disloyalty and expelled from areas in and near war zones. Furthermore, much of the fighting between Russia, and Austria and Germany took place in Western Russia in the Jewish Pale of Settlement. World War I uprooted half a million Russian Jews.[15] Because of the upheavals of World War I, immigration dwindled between 1914 and 1917. But after the war, hundreds of thousands of Jews began leaving Europe and Russia again for the U.S., Israel and other countries where they hoped to start a new life.[16]

Second wave (1916–1922)[edit]​

Main article: White émigré
A large wave of Russians immigrated in the short time period of 1917–1922, in the wake of October Revolution and Russian Civil War. This group is known collectively as the White émigrés. The U.S. was the third largest destination for those immigrants, after France and Serbia.[citation needed] This wave is often referred to as the first wave, when discussing Soviet era immigration. The head of the Russian Provisional Government, Alexander Kerensky, was one of those immigrants.

As with first and second wave, if the White émigré left Russia to any country, they were still considered first or second wave, even if they ended up moving to another country, including the US at a later time. There was no 'strict' year boundaries, but a guideline to have a better understanding of the time period. Thus 1917-1922 is a guideline. There are Russians who are considered second wave even if they arrived after 1922 up to 1948.

Also Pengu, check out this link about the history of the White Russian emigres, a large group of Russians that included upper class, professionals, business owners, soldiers and such who remained loyal to the Imperial Czar and fled Russia during the revolution. For this group, the Imperial Russian coat of arms remained a symbol of identification and pride.

If you happen to have an Orthodox church in the area (a denomination largely founded by this group in North America as Russian Orthodox though now serves as an umberella to include Greek Orthodox) might be interesting to stop by with your find and see what they have to say.

I see, I'll look into it. Thanks for the extra information.

I shouldn't jump the gun after all, it could be anything. Speaking of which if it were a pillbox it'd be a pretty weird place to drop it, usually people didn't want to lose things like that. But I can imagine if it got really dense layers of snow, which is very common around here, I'm sure they'd lose something. I've lost lots of things in the snow during the Winter, snow around here can get up to 4 feet around the level where your lungs are located believe it or not.

Though looking at it further, this would be one weird pillbox if it were one, it's possible that it could be one, but I still do not have any proof that it was one other than speculation and similarities.

I definitely do have thoughts that this could have been valued, finding a disk with a Russian coat of arms on it is quite unique around here.

To be exact, my actual thoughts about the disk are described as this:

70% something of value/importance
20% furniture/pillboxes/etc
10% Something I'm not yet aware of

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a lot to think about this one disk.

Pill boxes, Russian immigration, and etc.

It is plausible that this was also something that someone held dear to themselves. I can imagine someone carrying around the disk for some particular reason, just lots to think about.

Hopefully I find out the true identity of this disk, because if it does turn out this disk has some relation to the Russian immigration events I'd be pretty amazed.

Last edited:
And yes, there does happen to be an Orthodox church. I'll have that idea in mind if I run out of ideas.

Btw, thank you for helping out so much, been thinking about this disk for days and have went everywhere to ask if anyone would recognize/identify it. Out of all places I checked, this place was the most helpful.

Last edited:
Good luck, Penju. :thumbup: While you're digging around on it, see if you can't uncover an old leather satchel full of these. :LOL:

556_15_rubl-1.jpg