Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Things you learn with air testing

Ed in SoDak

And it's good to review what you thought you remembered!

On a whim, I went way back to the first T2 forum pages, page 185 in 2006. Reading some of them got me to wondering, so I idly powered up my T2 and checked the various menus and settings. One thing led to another as I realized how much I'd forgotten from the manual and these old forum threads.

I soon had the rod and coil propped up to face me with the control in my lap so I could see it. I began to do some air test of typical coins and junk items in the various tone modes.

One thing that's always bugged me with the T2 is the stacatto mutili-pitched audio and varied ID when I swing over a target in some of the disc tone modes. Because of this, I mostly hunted with the all-metal mode since it was easier for me to understand the signals. So here I am, wildly swinging coins in front of the coil just listening to all those notes in dp mode, when I began to change how I moved the coin just to see what happened.

Usually I scan something over the full width of the coil. In dp mode this resulted in several blips as the object crossed beneath each outer and inner loop, making three blips per scan the jumped around in both tone and ID. But when I narrowed my swing way down till the target was only going past the center "beam" of the coil, the ID and tones became suddenly stable. Coin ID locked on and the audio settled down to a single tone.

When I pinpoint in disc mode, my coil swings so the entire surface goes over the target both ways. The swing is thus at least twice the width of the coil or wider, two feet wide let's say.

Now this new revelation says I need to swing the coil maybe three inches side to side to check target ID!

Is this such common knowledge that I should be red-faced for just now figuring it out, or did I stumble onto something? Anyway, moral of the story is that air tests can indeed teach you new things about your machine and how best to use it.

-Ed

I always liked 3 tones for coin shooting. I got so use to pinpointing targets using the heel and toe of the coil, that I forgot there was pinpointing on my machine. One spring I asked myself "What does this switch do?"

Good one, Dave! I use the pinpoint a lot myself and the Ground grab in the other switch position. Try scanning with the the T2 held in pinpoint mode. It really widens the detection field and you can quickly home in on a target in sparse signal areas.

I tried out the narrow swing technique yesterday with coins tossed on the ground. It does help me obtain a better ID and eliminates the edge of coil blips.

-Ed