Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking about another Tesoro

TheManMetz

I am thinking about getting another Tesoro. I currently have an Outlaw with the 8" and 5 3/4" coils. I really like this machine but I keep thinking about a Tejon. I will be keeping the Outlaw but I have been reading and watching videos about the Tejon and its very interesting. Most of the hunting I did in 2014 was yards, parks, and some woods hunting. My main focus is coins. But I also like finding bullets and old brass. I am worried the Tejon is going to be too chatty for my liking because the Outlaw is so smooth and quiet. Any thoughts?

If you like a smooth running deep hitting detector, get the Vaquero.

tabman

I second that Vaquero suggestion. It the month or so we have had ours it's been great and a nice addition to the Compadre 8 inch coil we already have. Very easy to set up, the ground balance takes only a moment and the machine can hit tiny deep targets very well.

I think you have a great detector and coil combination with the Outlaw and 5¾" and 8" Concentric coils. I've had Tejón's and I'm not really interested in another. Oh, it has a couple of features I like, but the Outlaw provides me with ample versatility with those two coils. I keep the 5¾" Concentric mounted and the 8" is on a rod in my accessory coil bag. If you only have one detector, and that is the Outlaw, you have a reasonably versatile detector since it has ample controls including manual Ground Balance. Master it and you'll do well afield.

I like to own more than one detector and have for decades [size=small](since 1971 at least)[/size] and I would encourage you to consider something a little 'different' than the Outlaw. Possibly a model with some form of visual Target ID. A 2nd [size=small](or 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.)[/size] detector should serve a purpose to help complement another model(s) you own and use. That could be some different functions. It could be simple with a preset Ground Balance? It could have an automated GB or even Auto-Tracking GB? It could have a Target ID and/or VDI visual display? Maybe it offers Tone ID? Perhaps a broader Discriminate range adjustment to a true 'zero' Disc., or it's based on a different 'filter' design, such as 3-filter or an older 4-filter type to complement your 2-filter Outlaw?

Are you certain that you have learned all the intricacies of the Outlaw and have put in ample time to master it? If so, go shopping to complement it. If not, just spend the time using it to learn it better and thus appreciate it more. The $$$ you save by not buying a Téjon right now could also be spent on other things, such as a hand-held Pinpointer, or a new recovery tool or set of headphones. If you're already well equipped, then use the saved money to cover fuel expense and grub as you travel around more to find new places to detect.

Those are my thoughts. Now, if it will warm up for the current 5:40 am 12.3° and 7.0° wind chill, I'd head out with my Outlaw [size=small](and several other detectors that travel with me)[/size] for some detecting.

Happy New Year! Now, let's have an end to winter and bring on some comfortable spring weather!

Monte

I think the Outlaw would be an excellent option for what you are describing. I have owned the Vaquero, Silver and Tejon. The Tejon is my favorite hands down. I still own a Tejon and Silver and do not see ever selling the Tejon. But as mentioned, learning the language is key to any detector.

Great thoughts everyone. I believe I still have some things to learn on the Outlaw. I have made some nice finds and some of the brass I dug... was pretty deep for my Kobalt digging knife. A few of the .30-06 shells where down there. I do have another detector but it's not in the same league, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV that got me into the hobby. Found me lots of clad though. The Compadre has always been in my mind because of the great things I hear about it and the fact it's only $160. Simple one knob and can find super small items.

After reading these suggestions, I am going to bag the idea of the Tejon. When I was looking at the Outlaw, it was basically an Outlaw vs. Vaquero decision. I went with the Outlaw because of the reported sweet audio, good disc, and ability to handle the iron. So, I guess being a smooth runner was most important to me and that kind of doesn't sound like a Tejon. Ha! The Tejon sounds like a great machine but very hot, high gain, etc.

Maybe the $600 spent on a Tejon would be better spent on a TRX pinpointer, Lesche knife, Predator Little Eagle shovel, and a Compadre? Hmmm....

I agree the Vaquero is a smooth running detector, but I can run my Tejon into the red on the sensitivity before it starts chattering. The Tejon may not be everyones cup of tea, but it is deeper than the Vaquero in my ground by almost 3 inches.
I compared them both side by side on targets and the Tejon is what I kept. You can pick up a nice used Tejon for under 400.00 usually, so don't dismiss the Tejon just because you read it was noisy....just back the sensitivity down a bit and it runs just fine.......HH

Roger

I am not going to rule out the Tejon completely but for now I am going focus more on learning the Outlaw. I probably have about 50 to 75 hours with the Outlaw. I probably need more time before I get another machine.

I have a Tejon, and have used it for the past couple years. I hunt coins in parks and around old homesites and occasionally get out into some fields to look for Civil War relics. I bought my Tejon used after reading lots of reviews and advice online. I was worried too that it would be "chatty", and it can be if you set it up to be that way. But one thing people seem to forget, myself included at first, is that you can run the sensitivity WAY low on this machine and still get great depth. Sometimes when I hunt trashy areas for coins, I'll have the sensitivity set at 2 and still pull coins from 6 inches.

I came from a BH Tracker 4, to a Tesoro Silver uMax and upgraded to the Tejon. Mainly for the manual GB and pinpoint, and that I got it at a great deal used. There was a definite learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's a VERY versatile detector. Just throttle it back a little and let it work. Running it too hot seems to throw off the disc accuracy on shallow targets too. But when set right, it's right on the money.

Honestly for my uses a Vaquero would have been more than adequate. But a Tejon can do everything a Vaq can do, and then some. For the price of a used Tejon, I feel you'd get more bang for the buck going that route than buying a new Vaquero. Just treat it like a street legal drag car with leather interior and power everything. You don't have to run it wide open or use all it's features, but it's there if you need it. :thumbup:

thumperjones, that is very good way of putting it. I guess that is why they have adjustable sensitivity and other settings! You don't have to run it to the max. I am used to being able to run my Outlaw at 10 about 97% of the time. Sometimes MAXED. Not much EMI in the locations I am hunting. I think sometimes I watch too many youtube videos on detectors, esp. the Tejon and most folks are running it hot.

John (Ma) said:
I think the Outlaw would be an excellent option for what you are describing. I have owned the Vaquero, Silver and Tejon. The Tejon is my favorite hands down. I still own a Tejon and Silver and do not see ever selling the Tejon. But as mentioned, learning the language is key to any detector.

There is a reason why I still have my Tejon. It will leave my ATPro for dead in the rich black loam further north of here. But down south I usually prefer my ATP. The soil down here is all over the place with mineralization............And I just like a multi tone machine in trashier areas. The Tejon is sensitive and deep.