Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking about getting a sovereign

d-2

I have never used a detector that makes a constant noise and I have been told these do. But once you learn the different tones you will love it. I have used Garretts, Fishers and Tesoro's but never a Minelab. Does it take long to learn how to use it? I hunt several times a week so useing the machine will not be a problem. Is the depth better than other machines? Also I mainly CW relic hunt so will it do well looking for lead and brass? Thanks for any info...d2

The Sovereign has the option of Threshhold ( I believe thats what you mean by constant noise) or silent search, so you have an option. It also has some great options for setting it up in all metal, so if you relic hunt this machine will do the job well. As far as depth they have always been one of the best, no question about it! add the fact that it can be hip-mounted which renders it super lightweight , and the fact that it handles any soil conditions with ease, it is my favorite and all I will use now. I have owned every brand out there, including other minelabs, experimenting if you will on which detector was the best in my opinion. Ironically my very first detector was a Sovereign Elite, I was a newbie and didnt take the time to learn it enough. I will say that it went super deep! being new to the hobby at that time I decided to sell it and try another brand, then another thinking that all detectors went about as deep as the other. As I became more experienced I realized that nothing else could perform like the Sovereign. So here I am many years later owning a Sovereign again and I couldnt be happier! I truely believe that having confidence in your machine adds to your success! I hope this helps your decision.

hiya guys,,yeah, i agree with treasurechic,on everything he said,,but you gotta take time to learn the machine,,the tones are too many i think,,it has 17 of them,,one for every frequency,,,iys hard separating them,,but its as deep as a p.i. but dont pick up iron,,it has no time for it,,unless its in all metal,,in that mode it (if its a g.t. that is ) uses "acutrac" which is a constant ground track and will keep totally optimised even on salt wet,,,nothing else does that on any other machine,,the build quality is the best,,just get it ,,you wont look back,,:ukflag:

comcat said:
hiya guys,,yeah, i agree with treasurechic,on everything he said,,but you gotta take time to learn the machine,,the tones are too many i think,,it has 17 of them,,one for every frequency,,,iys hard separating them,,but its as deep as a p.i. but dont pick up iron,,it has no time for it,,unless its in all metal,,in that mode it (if its a g.t. that is ) uses "acutrac" which is a constant ground track and will keep totally optimised even on salt wet,,,nothing else does that on any other machine,,the build quality is the best,,just get it ,,you wont look back,,:ukflag:
I don't own one sovereign, but I think that only has 7 tones and not 17 for each frequency,

I am considering buying one.

The tones are not related to the number of frequencies. Somebody on here a while back posted about using a device to measure the number of tones it put out and it was much higher than the human ear could tell apart.

The depth is unmatched in my medium to high mineral soil. Even my Explorers didn't get as good of depth, and the GT runs smoother and gives much more solid target ID's at depth than my Explorers did. The audio on the GT is also much more telling than any machine I've ever owned.

The Sovereign nails brass and lead very well in discriminate mode. I've dug a ton of lead bullets and brass shotgun shells in the woods with it at outrageous depths. If you want to detect iron though you need to flip to All Metal.

Scroll down a page or two to the Compare The Competition thread for more comparisons to other machines.

comcat said:
unless its in all metal,,in that mode it (if its a g.t. that is ) uses "acutrac" which is a constant ground track and will keep totally optimised even on salt wet,,,nothing else does that on any other machine

Do you use All Metal on your GT to beach hunt? If so, how does it compare to discriminate depth wise where you hunt? I plan to compare it to disc when beach hunting more this summer but will use fixed once it's set as tracking can track out deep targets.

This depends on the person as it took me a good 3 or 4 weeks to start doing good and learn something new each time out, my Friend took about 3 hours to get to know it well enough to pick some nice coins out of a well worked school yard.
The Sovereign is different than what you are used to with its different tones that we call it language and once you get to know what it is telling you it will probably one of the easiest detector to use. These are not beep and dig detectors where the detector tells you what to dig with a beep, but a detector that gives you more info with its tones, digital readings if you are using a meter to tell you what the coil is seeing. This way once you get to know it you can tell so much more about the target, in other words the Sovereign tells you the info and lets you the operator decide if you want to dig or not.
The Sovereign is not for everyone as you will see as you have to go slower to hear everything it sees, but will tell you it will see so much more other detectors have missed once you get to know it well. Not a detector if you want to swing the coil fast, but one you want to take the time to pick out all the nice finds others have left behind. I just love those old sites like parks that been told I wont find anything as many many detectors have been over it before, tell them good as they dug the new stuff and trash, now I can get serious and get the good stuff.
You have to have patience, have the time to use it and be willing to learn something new each time out with it, then you will say like many that have did this that the Sovereign is awesome and cant believe what it can find.

Rick

Amen Rick! I've had mine for a couple of weeks and have taken it out twice. I hear you about the Sov GT's tones being like a language. At the moment it sounds a bit like Greek to me but after two trips I'm catching a 'word' or two :)

I know I'm gonna love this machine... hang on ... rephrase - I love this machine already :razz:

Cheers from Australia
Snoopy