Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking about purchasing a MXT PRO

BLOODHOUND1970

to compliment my Explorer XS. What are the pros and cons of the MXT PRO and how do you like it VS. other detectors that you have used?

Thanks,
Johnny

I have had the DFX and the XLT and I am now using the MXT Pro. I love it, all of the adjustments are out in the open, I can see the immediate results of the changes . For me it is just a simpler machine to operate. As another put it I am a flip phone kind of person I hate crawling thru the menus to find the adjustment I am looking for and then trying to figure out how it affect anything else. Happy hunting and enjoy

Thanks for the reply Ray, I am not a menu person either.

It's a great detector Johnny,just as good as anything on the market today.I used the sef8x6 coil on mine which made t even better.

I had the MXT pro and traded it. My V3i does what the MXT pro can do plus a whole lot more. However the MXT pro was so much simpler to use. The MXT pro was a turn on and go. But within do time the V3i will be a turn on and go. GS

I've owned some fancy high dollar detectors and have had góod success but the simplicity and capability of my MXT and Tejon keeps bringing me back. I have the standard MXT.

what types of sites and application you would have for the MXT Pro, or which search coils you would get with it. I worked with the MXT Pro proto-type and quickly bought one once the final product was released and used it as often as I could. A very good performing detector for many of the types of sites I like to hunt, most of which are non-urban, older-use places with ample iron debris.

BLOODHOUND1970 said:
Thinking about purchasing a MXT PRO to compliment my Explorer XS.
If you used your Minelab Explorer much for the typical urban grassy park type sites where most use them, then the MXT Pro [size=small](or MXT All-Pro which is the same detector with an 'All' sticker on the side)[/size] will complement its performance very well. My strong encouragement is to get it with either 950 or newer 9" 'spider' Concentric coil [size=small](the 9" is my preference for more open/sparse-target sites)[/size], and also get the 6½" Concentric coil [size=small](the White's 5.3 Eclipse)[/size] for trashier and brushier areas, as well as being a very comfortable search coil to use full-time, like I did. Pass on the DD coils for trashy site hunting.

BLOODHOUND1970 said:
What are the pros and cons of the MXT PRO ...
Pros and Cons are just personal opinions so they will vary, but I'll share some of mine.

Pro's: I like the 6½" Concentric coil on this model and I have used all of White's search coils as well as most of the popular after-market coils [size=small](all DD designs)[/size] and the 6½" Concentric works the best for most hunting environments. I like the Relic Mode with the available 2-Tone audio, and I also like the low-end adjustment for Zero Disc. to accept all targets, both ferrous and non-ferrous. I definitely like the ability to 'Lock' the Ground Tracking to hold a set GB, and I especially like the handy Ground Grab push-button for quick automated GB in a hurry. The 3-level Backlight provides visibility as needed. I also like the audio of the MXT Pro because it has more of what I call an analog/digital blend.

Con's: I would like to have a VCO audio in the 2-Tone ID, and I would like to have a 'processed' 3-Tone or possibly 4-Tone Audio ID available as well. I do not care for the 7-Tone ID. The MXT Pro lacks a Manual GB function which I like to have for difficult conditions, or just to 'fine-tune' the GB for a slight off-set to my liking. There are times and conditions I wish White's made a 5" to 5½" coil for the MXT Pro, for the really nasty iron infested sites. Finally, while the MXT Pro is a very good general-purpose detector and, in my opinion, the best detector in White's current model line-up, it has been around a long time and we have a number of models available that provide a bit better all-around performance. As I said, for me and in my opinion.

BLOODHOUND1970 said:
... and how do you like it VS. other detectors that you have used?
Compared to detectors I "have used," meaning some I have had that I no longer do, I found the MXT Pro to provide better all-around performance for me as a single detector for Coin Hunting, Relic Hunting and Gold Nugget Hunting in the places I tend to search and parted with a lot of detectors. Even many that I liked, such as the XLT and XL Pro for Coin Hunting, and others I tried but didn't like so much, such as the AT Pro to name but one.

That said, I will state that as much as I like and acknowledge the abilities of the MXT Pro, I preferred the Teknetics Omega 8000 for Coin and Relic Hunting to the MXT Pro and plan to add another to my detector arsenal. I have sold or traded off my MXT Pro's in favor of models that I have found to out-perform it in very dense iron nail contaminated sites and that both 'feel' better and importantly 'work' better, for me, such as the Tesoro Bandido II and Bandido II µMAX, Teknetics T2, Makro Racer and Nokta FORS CoRe.

In your case, with an Explorer XS and Makro Racer and maybe a Teknetics Euro-Tek Pro and Tesoro Vaquero on-hand, I think you already have one very good detector as it is and ought to just make sure you know the strengths and weaknesses of all that you have as I don't see a real need to try and fit another detector in there now. Make sure you have an extra coil or two to make what you have work better for you, and evaluate the types of sites you hunt and what you are serious about finding.

Just opinions.

Monte

Thanks for the info guys, and Monte I am very partial to my old Explorer XS and the Vaquero is fast as lightening. I have a MXT on the way (not pro), I may come to the same conclusions as you. I will let you guys know my thoughts after I spend some time with it. The machine is coming with the standard 950 coil and I am planning on adding a Detech to go with it.

For simplicity and depth the MXT is hard to beat.