Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of getting a Minelab Advantage....

Excellent units overall.
PM'd you regarding our Musky Group.

Do a search in the Sovereign forum for Advantage or Musketeer, as there was just a recen thread posted with a TON of info on the various models and such with some great pics and other info on all those units. Really outstanding stuff. So you know, the Sovereign forum is kind of the unofficial home of those machines, so feel free to ask questions in there, and I'd also search the forum for ANY DATE key words as you'll find prior threads too. The one I'm talking about though is I think the most recent thread that should pop up in your search. You won't be sorry if you find that thread.

Those machines have a rabid following. Very deep and smooth. I bet they would have taken off better had Minelab put tone alerts on them, or even without tone alerts a meter would have probably made them better sellers.

the GT is quality built and in average ground does relly well , it has a world class all metal mode , that handles hot rocks and cold rocks like a breezz, I am still impressed with its all metal mode more than its disq mode, and you have the option of hunting in pinpoint all metal wich also handles badd ground extreemly well great on the beach , I wish i still had one I just could not aford two machines, the S-8 is astrinomical in its performance, I hope to be reunited somday with the GT as I like its all metal modes just a tad on the heavy side , the thing i like about its all metal is say a brick that has been in a fire will set off my gold bug but the GT will not make a peep on it very good all metal mode in the worst ground ,

Gunnar, thus far in my soil PP or all metal don't appear to be any deeper than discrimination, but I need to test further, but then again I'm so impressed with the depth of the GT with the stock 10" coil and especially with the 12x10 that I don't see any need to hunt in PP or all metal. Thus far every time I test them against each other discriminate seems deeper. In fact, I don't like to use PP mode to PP because often it won't even hear a deep coin that discrimination easily nails. This is in my somewhat mineralized soil, of course, which ranges from low to high depending on site. I've owned just about them all but this thing is the deepest yet. Also, machines with higher than about 8Khz (signal frequency machines that is) never ran smooth or got the depth in my soil. So it depends on what type of soil you have that you consider bad. Different "bad" soils can be of very different types than other "bad" ones, where a machine will do very well. For instance, I recently read of one guy who has some rather bad red soil, and he said of all his machines (one or two flagship models) the GT when ran slow will even null out a lot too in his rough ground, but darn if it's not popping him deeper targets than he ever saw before. Read many examples of this and have experienced it myself (owned most of whats out there). I think the BBS frequencies biased in the lower range in some respects below say 12khz (since they only range up to 25khz) are punching through my minerals like no other, and is the reason they get the depth and run as smooth for me on my mineralized beaches and land sites.

I have one that I use every now and then.
They are great detectors and I have made some nice finds with mine in hunted to death sites.
They are on the heavy side and love rusty crown type bottle caps.
If you can find the mount that allows mounting the control box under the elbow or armrest, this will greatly improve the balance of the machine.
Felix

They are great detector. Have a good language to the sound. They run very quiet and go deep. I ran one thru my test coins with the 8" coil and it easily hit a dime at 7 1/2" and a quarter at 8". If you can find one one go for it.

Rick

I've had a few and spent many hours with them, was Musky mad for a long time. But a few months back I used one of old ones that I'd given to my niece, and I spent a bit of time laughing to myself about how useless they really are for all purpose detecting compared to what we use now. I couldn't even think of a spot where I'd want to use one, maybe a vacant ex-house block with a heap of rusty nails and iron....looking for coins where the clothes line used to be...but even then, Nah.

And I think the reason for that is, that all the blanking and chirping, along with broken signals that should really make solid hits instead, just leave them well behind the smoothness and clarity we get now.

I was recently surfing the official list of current (list was current from the looks of it?) coils Detech says they make (the maker's of the SEF and other coils that Kellyco sells) and saw that the appareant current list of coils includes I think either the 15x12 or 18x15 SEF size for the Musketeer/Advantage. Thought that was kind of cool that they make one of these newer coils for those older machines. Must be some fans of that unit at Detech, as that culture over there seems to have a few machines they've loved for years that never even really caught on well elsewhere.