Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of getting soaked!

Scottowl

Ive been lurking for awhile, thinking about getting a water detector.
I would be in fresh water only at first, in a river with sand and rocks on the bottom.
For now I would expect to be only chest deep or less. No diving just yet.
I know there are many machines out there. I amn thinking along the lines of a Tiger Shark or BHID. I've even considered a PI that may also be used on land to satisfy my curiosity.
I am wondering about all the other gear I would need. Scoop? Waders? Floatation vest if I stepped off a ledge?
What are some good things to have, and what sources are there to get them?
I don't want to spend a months pay on something I may decide against?
I hve land hunted maybe 10 years, and am mainly familiar with an MXT.

TS if you want to hunt by sound or AT Pro even if you want a screen might be a reasonable price range starting out since you dont know if you want to jump in. Remember.........it take a long long long time for stuff to desolve away in fresh water. There is a LOT of trash especially in a river where you have a lot of flooding. To me a PI would be a worthless machine there unless you just like digging. They also would go deeper ...... especially on Iron so you would be digging those targets as well. Couple hours and youd be done.

detector, scoop, pouch, hard bottom shoes (i use Mares hard bottom dive shoes 6.5 mm they last longer with all the pulling)....... not sure about the waders or the temp you will be hunting in. Just remember ...... you slip and fill them you could be in trouble. Personally if you are considering hunting in cold water and maybe later diving......... just buy a wet suit. If you are digging AM put a magnet in your scoop..... tiny iron can be hard to find.

Dew

I was hoping there would be less trash in the water, but I guess you would have to contend with it even there.
Maybe I wouldnt need waderrs, because I was thinking of doing this in the summertime, when its too hot to hunt land all day.
Im not ashamed to wear a life jacket. Sure I would look geeky...you think a 57 year old bald fat guy swinging a detector doesn't already?!!
Maybe there are flotaation devices that have some handy pockets?
The magnet is a good idea.
What kind of scoop to stand up to rocks? I suppose aluminum is out of the question?

I'd go with stainless steel on the scoop.

Flotation devices have come a looooong way. There are some lever-pull inflatables that aren't noticeable at all, and non bulky vests that have tons of pockets. Look at the fisherman vests for the latter.

And don't forget the Speedo as long as you don't hunt in TN.

:thumbup:All the above advise are good,talking from experience I should dump the wades and go for the wetsuit.in the summer you may be able to get away whit a shorty. As for the detector a Garett at pro is a good detector its waterproof to 10ft. And works well in the water and land, whatever you chose good luck

The AT Pro is great in Fresh Water. No so Great in Salt Water. During the summer I wade with just a pair of shorts. I do wear scuba boots that keep the sand out. Tried other footwear and the sand became a problem.

If you are wading the Ocean she is a jealous mistress of her treasures. I have been knocked down more than once by a rogue wave that was much higher than what I had been seeing and was not ready for or did not see coming. When the surf is rough I do not get into the water more than knee deep. I am too old to let the ocean beat me around and too young to die.

I prefer a Large Stainless Steel scoop. Makes it easier to get you target in the scoop. There are life vests today that take up very little room. Mine is one that I can inflate by pulling a cord and inflating it with a CO2 Cartridge.

I use a small mesh bag on an old fashioned shower curtain hook attached to my belt to put Most of my finds into. Precious metal items go in my pocket out of sight.