Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking of getting xterra, or Sov GT wich is better for the money and wich is just better?

Unless you are doing alot of beach hunting I would go with the X terra 50. Much shorter learning curve... faster recovery and response... better in disturbed soils like plowed fields... fast swing.... oh yes and the best reason... Its ALOT LIGHTER and more fun to use.
Reaney in NH

n/t

The GT has a longer learning curve and unless you want to spend the time to learn it you may not be happy with it. The GT with a 180 meter will ID deeper correctly and with the tones and numbers as I find you will dig less trash. The GT is heavy as I am sure many have said, the X-Terra is lighter, easier to use and less learning curve, but find I dig a lot more trash that shows good and i am sure after a person uses it for a while I will dig less.
The GT is a slower working detector as you have to swing the coil slower, but it is seeing more too.
These 2 detector can complement one another and depending on your type of hunting is the one you should use. The GT is for the serious that wants to get what the other detectors leave behind while the X Terra is good for checking out a area where you want to go faster and go more for quantity over quality.
Price wise the X-Terra is the better buy while the GT is the better detector once you add the 180 meter.
Rick

Hi Rick,
I'm still learning the Sov GT and i agree with the premise of your post concerning the X-Terra vs GT but can equate that to almost any other detector i've used such as the DFX, XLT,Classic's CZ,s,Garrett, Musky . The difference between the GT and many other detectors is like the difference between a fast read news report and the slow read intelligence report. You can get the basics from the news report but the details come from the intelligence report and thats the way i see it.I will mostly opt for the quick scan detector when trying a new site and consider a cz to be a quick scan VS the GT . I am using the GT more often at good sites that some quick scanners seem to be played out and have finds that produced stong signals that just never surfaced before and suspect mineralized soil condidtions causing masking problems because they aren't that deep. I just don't think any one detector is capable of finding it all and after cherry picking it comes down to the skill, patience and determination of the individual and consider myself to have the latter of the 3 to find the rest and if for no other reason thats where the Sovereign appears to be at it's best for me.This is just my opinion based on recent finds at heavily hunted older sites and using the Sov with 180 meter.HH Bill

are going to be the only one who will know exactly what it is you're looking for in a detector, and what will 'fit' with your skill and patience level.

The "unknowns" are these:

What do YOU plan to hunt for? Coins? Relics?

Where will you be hunting? Low-mineralized ground? Highly mineralized ground? Consistent terrain? Rough, rock-strewn terrain? Trashy sites? Clean sites?

What makes and models do presently use, and which ones have you had before? What features did/do you like about them? What features did/do you wish you had.

I've had my share of Minelab Sovereigns and Explorers. I learned them and I understand them, and I have a solid appreciation for what they can do. I also recognize their weaknesses, for me and what I want, so it makes it easier for ME to figure out an answer to your vague question as it relates to ME and MY desires. Thus, I'll answer it from MY viewpoint.

Which is better for the money? Well you can pick up some older used Sovereigns at a reasonable price, but you did ask about the Sov. GT and X-Terra, of which there are two models. The turn-on-and-go X-Terra 30 and the somewhat more adjustable and versatile X-Terra 50.

The X-Terra 30 has a 3-tone audio system and the X-Terra 50 has a 4-tone audio system. The Sovereign GT will provide you with more audio tones and this is something that some people like while others don't care for it.

The two X-Terra's come with a visual target ID display, while a meter for the Sov. GT will cost you extra.

The Sovereign will have to be swept at a much slower sweep speed than the X-Terra in order to milk the best performance out of it. The X-Terra's can be used to cover a site at a little faster pace, while at the same time allow you to slow down when you get into a target-rich area.

The Sov. GT is better balanced by design than the previous models with their forward-mounted control housing. They are usually a bit nose heavy, too, due to the coil's weight. The X-Terra's are much lighter, and definitely much better balanced.

The ergonomics of the Sovereign GT requires a two-handed operation to adjust any controls and switch into the Pinpoint mode. The X-Terra's have an excellent display face with touch pad adjustments that are easily within thumb's reach of the operating hand.

Battery access of the X-Terra models is also superior, in my opinion.

For the money, I can't help but feel that the new X-Terra 50 is the best deal, and I'd probably put the X-Terra 30 the second best deal compared with the Sovereign GT. For many, however, the X-Terra 30 will be the best deal because it will be much easier to use since it has a preset Ground Balance and ample controls w/o getting too intimidating for some hobbyists.

And which is just better? For ME, the X-Terra 50 is 'just better' because it is lightweight, well balanced, provides very good user control, and has some features that I personally like. These include the target volume setting and Ground Balance. Also, I like the 4-tone audio and ability to hear the audio and see the TID readout in an all metal accept motion mode. Another thing that helps me afield and makes the X-Terra "just better" for me is the ease of adjustment, the TID readout, and the 18-segment notch discrimination for those times when I can use it to my advantage.

I suggest you consider what you have and/or have used, make a list of what you're looking for, then review what the models have to offer. Next would be a trip to a dealer to get them in your hands and give them a try.

Enjoy the detector shopping and then enjoy some fun time afield!

Monte