Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thinking on getting one of these - some dumb questions

ironsight

Looking to buy another detector this Spring and looking hard at one of these. From reading some of the threads, it appears there's a loyal following for these detectors so there must be good reasons.
Some questions for you Nokta veterans if you would.

1. Whats the difference between Nokta Fors, Makro and Racer?
2. Which model would be recommended money being no object?
3. The swing out display on the side seems like it would be a PITA to view, is it? Is it used primarily for settings?
4. I'm primarily a park coin hunter with a lot of nails in most parks i search. How are these machines in iron?
5. I didn't see the apparently new Racer in the KellyCo website. Are they even available here in the U.S.
6. Depth? ID accuracy? Ground balancing?

Thanks

1-There are two brands that have merged around the end of 2014, Makro and Nokta (both owned by brothers). Nokta makes a model called the Fors CoRe and Makro is almost out with a new model the Makro Racer. It appears the Racer shares a lot of the technology with the Fors CoRe but I think they do not share coils. Slightly different frequencies.

2-The CoRe recently reduced the pricing to almost match the new Racer. No matter what if you study the reviews of either one they are both excellent performers that appear to out perform far more expensive machines. Just try to review them based on performance, then put in the cost factor once you've done some ranking. You will probably be impressed for cost/performance.

3-Some people prefer the side mount with the small handle mounted display of the CoRe, and some the traditional console of the Racer. It's nice you have a choice.

4-Search for both machines in this forum and on youtube. Real interesting stuff. Look for something known as the NBPT or Nail Board Performance Test. That is something Monte Berry cooked up.

5-Kellyco is the only Nokta US distributor. Makro is distributed through Detector Electronics Corp AKA metaldetector.com and in turn bunch of US dealers. Makro/Nokta is based in Turkey and still new to the US market.

6-Like most detectors they seem to lose ID accuracy below 6 inches but kill above that depth. the default startup of the machine is a 2 tone mode that the majority so far seem to prefer. Maybe the 3 tone mode might be better in park hunts. We'll know once they get delivered around the end of March. At least Makro has said shipments are heading to US dealers on March 13th or 16th.

Hey guys thanks for the detailed info.

I looked at that website and checked out the specs and videos on the new Racer.
Was leaning on getting the Racer but unless i missed something it doesn't appear to have a depth guage.
For me, in addition to not saving settings and especially not having a depth guage is like going into battle with one boot on.

That unfortunately leaves me with the Fors which which looks like a capable machine also from what i've seen.
Hope picking up a Fors is not gonna be a mistake i'll regret later.

Thanks again for the replies.

Racer has a depth gauge.----It comes up in inches when in p.p.------No memory on settings is no big deal---it would only take a few seconds to set anything you want adjusted before starting hunting.-----Like Lowboy said--the answer to all your questions are already on the Forum if you do a search.
ironsight said:
Hey guys thanks for the detailed info.

I looked at that website and checked out the specs and videos on the new Racer.
Was leaning on getting the Racer but unless i missed something it doesn't appear to have a depth guage.
For me, in addition to not saving settings and especially not having a depth guage is like going into battle with one boot on.

That unfortunately leaves me with the Fors which which looks like a capable machine also from what i've seen.
Hope picking up a Fors is not gonna be a mistake i'll regret later.

Thanks again for the replies.