Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Third hunt with Explorer II, found a 1922....

jjaddict

Had the day off, so I took my boy to the park. Brought the explorer just in case he would piddle around with me for a few minutes. We tooled around a bit, he had fun using the pinpointer to "help". He mostly picked up bugs and worms, and returned them to their "homes" on the trees. He decided that it was time to hit the slides, so I went with, and just as I got to the edge of the playground equipment, I got my first good coin signal, only 15-20 minutes worth of hunting total. Cut a 5" deep plug, coin at the bottom of the hole. I check it out, sweet my third wheatie with the explorer. I start rubbing it and notice that it's from the twenties, always nice to get an older wheat. The second number starts to take shape and it looks like another 2, can't be...I was just looking at the value of a 1922 wheatie this morning, what are the chances. Sure enough, I examine it closely in good light, 1922 no D wheat penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!! I can't believe it, it is in awesome shape to boot! I found a 1914 d wheat earlier this year, really crusty, didn't think I would ever top that find, well I did...in a big way. This looks like it will clean up nicely. Should I even use soap and water on it? Or leave it as is? Must be a sign, I think this machine and I were meant to be together, it's already payed for itself!!!

Nice save !!! And I would avoid rubbing it any further ... just let it soak in hot, soapy water until the dirt lifts off. Congrats !!

Thank you! And thanks for the advice, I've got it soaking in hot soapy water now. I will post more pictures when I get it cleaned up a bit.

After seeing it with a little more dirt off of it, I think that I have a die pair #2, which is the most desirable! Sweet, I hope that I am right. Is it worth sending a coin like this off to PCGS to be graded and will they put a grade on it along with environmental damage, or no grade?

jjaddict said:
After seeing it with a little more dirt off of it, I think that I have a die pair #2, which is the most desirable! Sweet, I hope that I am right. Is it worth sending a coin like this off to PCGS to be graded and will they put a grade on it along with environmental damage, or no grade?

Would love to see another picture of it cleaned up ..:biggrin:

Could still be a little cleaner, but I really want to be careful with this baby.

Thanks Mike! I am convinced that it is a die pair #2 now, it has all of the characteristics. I still can't believe my luck!

Fat chance of that happening, but you never know, maybe I'll pick up one of the others someday. Brought it to a coin dealer today, but the resident expert was out, just some lacky at the counter. I will bring it back tomorrow and see what he thinks of it, depending on its value and the cost of having it slabbed, I will weigh my options at that point.

Great find and in wonderful condition! I found a 22 plain die pair 2 a few years back and had it slabbed. It came back VF details with a net grade of VG due to the corrosion from being in the ground. For me it was worth the cost to get it graded just to have it in a nice holder and be 100% certain that it was the rarest die variety.

Thank you!
Took it to a rare coin expert today, and he said that it was definitely a pair #2, and would grade around XF. I will probably send it off to PCGS to have it slabbed, only $35 to do so.