Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This ain't no Sovereign!

JCPinCt

I finally got out with the Quattro. And it isn't as much like the Sovereign as I thought it would be. It will take a bit to get used to. I was in Ring and Jewelry mode and running sensitivity on 14, I kept finding those little round sinkers they use for fresh water fishing, I used to find them with the Sovereign and Aquastar pulse also. They usually bounced around in in the low teens range with the Quattro. Hard to find as the depth reading would show them as much deeper than they actually were and they were usually about 3-4" deep at the most. Had to use pinpoint most the time and with the 10"Platypus coil, it worked pretty well, and showed them as near the top. I was getting too much foil and it was reading all over the place, more than I ever noticed before. I will have to try to figure how to avoid the stuff. I wandered in off the beach area, to a tree line and noticed many double hits also, which were mostly foil, but one stood out as it was more solid and smooth, but 2 different tones. Dug down slowly with a screwdriver as I was mostly trying to get the pinpointing down with this detector, and found a 1920 cent at about 8", went over the hole again, and just over a couple inches was another high tone and 30's number and dug out a 1947 dime which was just about the same depth. So in my deduction so far, this machine is a bit hard to lock on the numbers with, as it is jumpy, but it seems mainly with junk stuff, and it will go deep, pinpointing isn't bad, but then it may depend on the coil size also. I will get out again this week and give it another try. It isn't as easy to use as the Sovereign, and now I can see why so many give up on the Explorer, being it is supposed to be even more complicated to use than the Quattro. It will take lots more practice, which in a way is a shame. I don't think most of us buy a detector with the thought that you have to become an engineer to use it right. I guess in time they will get these more elaborate machines to work smoother and with less fiddling with the settings and a more positive lock on readouts. Maybe they have to increase the readout range which would define the object even better. Anyhow, it is interesting what they have come up with over what was being used 25 years ago.

Hello Jcpintc. I have to agree with you on most of the points you made about the Quattro. I have been detecting for almost eighteen years and the closest machine that I have used to it was the GTA series by garrett many years ago. I have been using the sovereign when the XS model came out. It has served me well until I changed to the Quattro earlier this year. I find it a little sluggish, hard to lock on some times and the depth gauge is not very accurate and the lower numbers do jump around a little. The best lock on I have found is high quality gold and silver and our one and two dollar coins ( aussie ). I am using a 15 inch coil and find it balanced pretty well. Stan. Australia.

Also, I tried the all metal mode for a few minutes, but I think I have to fine tune my ears to the sounds of things for awhile more, before I can use it in that mode. I was only using the 10" platypus elliptical coil, and recently I bought a 12" Sunray coil. I can't wait to hear the mess I will get when I try that. This is going to take a lot of patience, practice, and a lot of digging of junk, to get any good with it. Nothing good comes easy. But I sure wouldn't mind if it did. :wacko:

Just keep getting some more "solo" time on that Quattro, and all of a sudden gray skies will turn blue, and the sun will shine on you. The Quattro is an awesome piece of equipment, and it will out perform most. It just takes some time on the learning curve.

Good luck and Good hunting....

I have a Quatro for my son and used it a couple times, dont forget that the machine is set up for coin size targets so something smaller will read deeper and something larger will read closer. You should be able to figure out the size of the target with a little time. I think it is a great machine but I need more time on it. I do think it is much easier than the explorer but I didnt think the explorer was that hard either but I am still a new user so I pretty much dont know jack. I do know that I can tell a coin size object in the dirt though.