Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This ever happen to you?

Made a quick trip back to the plug, took a bit to find which one……. Used the SEF coil I was using and dime signal again present. Pinpointed several different recommended styles, still dead center over the plug and reading 5”. Switched to NEL Sharpshooter, same result. Slowed way down and no signal so went back to recommended faster sweep. Back on signal. I’m cautious to dig a multi-hole plug to be honest but I managed to cut a bigger diameter circle around original plug, as soon as I lifted the “donut off the hole” (think Cheerio) no signal. I’m suspecting a large iron piece deeper screwing with me……..

I've also had small spots of rusty dirt sound off from small pieces of rusted/decayed iron, like from nails, screws, and the like. Usually the tone goes away once the clod is broken and rust spot broken up?? HH jim tn

Yes like Jim stated above when items rot underground like a zinc penny it will have what I call a "ghosting" signal where the rotting metal seeps away from the main target which also throws the signal off I've found it happens all the time and when a nail is in the sidewall of the hole I can always tell its usually a nail when I cut my plug and the target is deep and way off to the side its almost always a rusty nail coins usually will be in the plug or close to the center of the hole anyone else notice that?
Mark

Made a quick trip back to the plug, took a bit to find which one……. Used the SEF coil I was using and dime signal again present. Pinpointed several different recommended styles, still dead center over the plug and reading 5”. Switched to NEL Sharpshooter, same result. Slowed way down and no signal so went back to recommended faster sweep. Back on signal. I’m cautious to dig a multi-hole plug to be honest but I managed to cut a bigger diameter circle around original plug, as soon as I lifted the “donut off the hole” (think Cheerio) no signal. I’m suspecting a large iron piece deeper screwing with me……..
Ronstar, that was a good idea using different coils and a larger plug too.
Maybe it is big iron and deeper.
Tony

Mkus, pretty much what happened this morning to me. Was getting a good investigable signal at 5” but it ended up not in the center once there. Located larger iron nail laying horizontal just off the side, I found the tip first. Actually this happened twice, same size nail too (about 6” long). Wondering if nail size plays into the equation?

Mkus, pretty much what happened this morning to me. Was getting a good investigable signal at 5” but it ended up not in the center once there. Located larger iron nail laying horizontal just off the side, I found the tip first. Actually this happened twice, same size nail too (about 6” long). Wondering if nail size plays into the equation?
I pulled about 6 nails yesterday horizontal in the side wall very deep 8+“ I knew as soon as I dug the hole and would pinpoint the nail in the side of the hole happened every time yesterday..
Mark

Raise your coil and see if it keeps getting a good hit,if it does it's probably a big junk target.
That works if its shallow but deep iffy targets are tough when they are rusty like a nail most I usually find will be off to the side and they will be deep you'll see rust in the hole first when you get down to the target and sometimes there are coins or other targets in there to.
And if its a nail I find them off to the side..
Mark

I can't pinpoint worth a damn with the Nox.

With minelabs, imo, the depth gauge is a suggestion.
When having trouble use the heel and toe method. Approach the target from below with the toe of your coil. Notice the point where it starts beeping. Then approach the target from the top, with the heel of the detect and not where it starts beeping. The small place between the two is really where the target is l located.

I can't pinpoint worth a damn with the Nox.

With minelabs, imo, the depth gauge is a suggestion.
I agree about the depth gauge on the Equinox… I use it more for a reference then actual depth.
As far as pin pin pointing, I have never used the pin point feature… i just X the target and dig.

Ever find a target and cant pinpoint it? or the detector says it is 4" deep and it is 8 or 2?
I’m not sure I have ever had a target I could not pin point, but I just X over the signal and dig.
I have had coins that sounded like I had them located, but they were off to one side or the other… I think they were on a tilt and throwing me off.
The items that I have found that showed deep, but weren’t were small items… not coin sized targets.
Now I have gotten over signals that I felt I had pin pointed correctly, but could not find… after digging pretty deep and not finding anything, I concluded it was something big and deep, and left it.

Last edited: