Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

THIS FIND STARTED AS A WHATZIT AND ENDED UP BEING A BARBER SANDWICH...

mj-air23

We were detecting a park over the weekend and I got a nice high tone with the SE Pro. Pinpointed the target, dug a plug with the Lesche, and found what appeared to be a rusted out plug of some sort. It was very corroded and I figured it was some sort of junk, so I threw it in my pouch and kept on detecting. We got back to the camper and I kept pulling out that piece of junk and closely looking at it. It just seemed like there was some kind of writing on it, so I got out a fine bristle brush, held the thing with a plier, and tried to brush some of the corrosion off. The writing I thought I saw was just, alas, corrosion. I was ready to throw the thing in the trash, when I started chipping away at the object with the pliers and some of the stuff started coming off, and it started to look like coins. I said, naw, it couldn't be...I took a knife and slid it between the three discs and lo and behold, there appeared, 2 pennies and a silver type disc! Closer inspection revealed 2 Indians, dated 1891 and 1901 and a Barber Dime dated 1897..Unbelievable!! There must have been something around them that corroded the coins together in a clump, and to think I almost threw them away. I will be checking my finds a lot closer now...

Interesting. Had to be something iron around those coins, that corroded away over the decades, eh? I once found a couple of coins together (ie.: a pocket-spill) that had contained a couple of steel WWII cents in there. The 2 steel cents had corroded away to be nothing more than round rust spots ........ like a small steel washer. Looked kind of like the pix you post. But fused to the steel cents were other couple of age-commensurate wheaties. So I was going to suggest that this is what may be the case for your find, is that they were sandwhiched in by 2 steel WWII cents. However, in your case, this would not match the age of the expected circulation of the IH & barber. Wierd.

Tom_in_CA said:
Interesting. Had to be something iron around those coins, that corroded away over the decades, eh? I once found a couple of coins together (ie.: a pocket-spill) that had contained a couple of steel WWII cents in there. The 2 steel cents had corroded away to be nothing more than round rust spots ........ like a small steel washer. Looked kind of like the pix you post. But fused to the steel cents were other couple of age-commensurate wheaties. So I was going to suggest that this is what may be the case for your find, is that they were sandwhiched in by 2 steel WWII cents. However, in your case, this would not match the age of the expected circulation of the IH & barber. Wierd.

We had thought that they might have been two steel cents at first also Tom. I could see a silver rim in the middle so I was hoping it was a silver dime, (actually hoped for seated):sad: but was happy it was Barber. Was surprised to see the 2 Indian cents instead of steel cents. Coins must have been kept in a metal pill case or something. Thanks for the reply.

n/t