Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This Fisher will get the good stuff out of the iron

Mike in Ky

I went back to my little button field for about an hour today and found a few more solid 1 piece buttons. That's 121 buttons so far ut of this field. I'm still trying to figure out why so many buttons.

Mike
[attachment 18705 Buttons.jpg]

[attachment 18706 IDEdgeSmall.jpg]

Hi,
it may be yellow feaver. When that broke out folks burned or tossed all the clothes of those who died. This is true of many epidemics.
I have seen this several times and in other states. Big concentrations of stuff from clothes but nothing much else. And no where near a structure.

hh

-=john=-

I've also found some enfield bullets, US bridal bit boss, thimbles, round balls ( 58 cal. ) I think, saddle tags. Basically alot of different stuff. I believe there was a homesite there back in the early to mid 1800's. I've also found a 1838 half dime, a 3cent silver coin and a flying eagle cent there too. Every time I go back, I find more stuff. Only problem is there is alot of iron, especially square nails. I guarantee you I'll keep going back. I'm the only one hunting this field and I believe the only one to ever hunt this field.

Mike

All the buttons have been solid 1 piece, with no design on the front. 2 of the buttons in the picture are Benedict & Burnham. One has extra rich, the other has extra superfine on the backmark. I'm assuming these are from the early 1800's. I can't find my button book.

Mike

that it was just a very active homesite & buttons were plentiful. John had a great suggestion. Also, maybe the lady of the house was a seamstress or something or the man was a "Rag man". A guy who went around & collected old clothing & stripped off all the buttons to recycle the cloth........
HH,
Bill