Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

this may be a small thing(Batteries)

Will the x-terra work ok with the newer NIMH batteries. I realize that they are only 1.2 vols but was just curious. The battery manufacturers advertise that the rechargables will power most consumer electronics, but I wonder about metal detectors.

thanks
HH
Paul massachusetts

Yes it will work, according to the manual.
I have a set of 2500's I use in RC Airplanes as well and I imagine they would take a long time to start dropping off in the X-Terra.
But hey, I buy Energizer Max in a 20 pack at Wally World for $8.87 and that will give you 5 full battery reloads.
Hard to beat that, probably well over 100 hours of hard detecting for less than $9 dollars.
And that's if you didn't use head phones and kept the pinpoint button pushed ALLOT.
The manager told me I could buy a case even cheaper, I think he said it would average around $6 per 20 pack that way.

H.H.
Mike

Paul,

I do not know why the NiMH cells are rated at 1.2V. This is the voltage (9.5/8=1.19V ) near the exhaustion point. The fully charged voltage is about 1.43V ( 11.4/8 ) whereas the fully charged alkaline cell voltage is about 1.55V ( 12.4/8 ).

According to the discharge curve in the Explorer II manual, the alkaline battery voltage falls off more rapidly than does the NiMH battery voltage. In fact, the NiMH battery voltage is actually greater than the Alkaline battery voltage for most of the discharge curve.

HH,
Glenn

Hi,

The following is from various places in the owners manual -

The X-Terra is capable of using different types of AA batteries:

1.5 V Alkaline
1.5 V Carbon
1.5 V Lithium (non-rechargeable)
1.2 V NiMH (rechargeable)
1.2 V NiCad (rechargeable)

Rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries will give a combined voltage above 8 V and therefore cannot be used with the X-Terra. (emphasis added). If the battery voltage is too high,(above 8 V) the battery icon will flash and the detector will shut down.

Battery Icon - This is a two-segment indicator. Full = 2 black segments inside the outline. Half = 1 black segment inside the outline. Low = No black segments inside the outline. The icon will begin to flash for a period of time before the detector finally shuts down.

Low Battery Signal - When the battery power becomes low (indicated by the low battery icon), there will be a short announcement tune (descending tones) every 60 seconds.

Low Battery Shutdown - A long announcement tune (descending tones) will sound just before the detector shuts down.

When the detector battery is low (indicated by the low battery icon), the speaker volume limit will be reduced, to save battery power and extend detecting time. The headphone volume is not affected. You may choose to override this and increase the volume limit, but you then risk the detector shutting down earlier.

The use of headphones will increase battery life.

Steve Herschbach