Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This should be very interesting!

Joe Patrick

I think that perhaps being over 50, is a prerequisite for being an analog metal detector fan! But then again, with most things moving into the digital realm, few newcomers - regardless of their age - ever get the chance to try one of the good ole' analog-metered metal detectors. I think that many would be surprised at how well they work and what good target ID many of them have.

I am glad to see this classroom come about, as I have been an analog fan - especially of analog-metered target ID - for many years now.

Digital electronics, digital metal detectors and digital target identification all have their place, but there is just something about analog's quick response, fine resolution (some detectors) and easy no nonsense ID meter that, to me, makes metal detecting fun and exciting - especially when used for coin hunting.

I have owned my share of analog-metered units over the years ... Teknetics 8500B and Mark I ... Garrett's ADS-7 ... White's 6000 PRO XL ... Fisher's CZ's ... Compass's X-100 ... Tesoro's Toltec 100 and others.

Being such a huge fan of analog-metered metal detectors is EXACTLY what lead me to design and manufacture the Patriot Target A.I.M. PRO analog meter for the Minelab Sovereign.

I guess some may consider us 'analog techies' outdated, but those of us that have used some of the better analog units know better. Perhaps it's a sign of our age and what we 'grew up' with in our metal detecting 'career'. I am also a big fan of 'real' switches and knobs too! Now I'm really showing my age! :wacko: But, I do see the merits of some membrane-type switches used today, as they are water and dirt proof. I still prefer trigger-type toggle switches for mode and pinpointing functions - like used on some White's, Tesoro's Tejon and Fisher 1260 series.

This should be a fun, educational an interesting classroom. I hope to learn much and even put my 'two cents' in from time to time.

Joe