Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This will save you time cleaning coins

Salida

Zeekey posted the following about cleaning coins. IT REALLY WORKS!!!!

"Some people are trying to find a good way to clean coins better and faster. I ran across this video and tried it. It works pretty good but the coins come out tarnished. Here is the trick I tried and it works. Thanks John333 you saved me hours of tumbling time. I use the same tumbler as John and have been using it for years. All I did was add 2oz. of concentrated lemon juice to the vinegar and I used 4 tablespoons of table salt. I ran the tumbler for 45 minutes. I am going to experiment with less salt and 3 oz. of lemon juice next time I tumble. I tumbled $140 worth of quarters, dimes and nickles. 240 quarters so my loads were much bigger than John's..
I want to thank John333 for the video and making my tumbling time much shorter. I was tumbling from 4 to 6 hours each load."

I tried it just using half venigar, half leamon concentrate and a hand full of table salt. The first try was not a success. I made the mistake of ading a drop of dish washing soap. DON'T DO that. It will explode. DROP the soap. I did a batch of disrty filthy clad in an hour. It normally takes me 6 hours or longer.

This is amazing!!!!! GO TO GENERAL INTEREST FORUM to see vedio.
Salida

Hmmm ... I just use a drop of dish soap and let the coins tumble into each other for a couple of hours. The bank is always impressed with how clean they are when I cash them in.

Try the leaon juice concentrate and vinegar with a hand full of salt. Only takes an hour.
Give it a shot.
Salida

try crushed walnut shell, & soap man with that much viniger and salt you are really corroding away your coins , cheezz wizz

I just used vinegar and salt and they came out better after about 45 minutes then my first batch did with water and dawn for 8 hours. I used the same "natural" aquarium gravel in both.

I have a tumbler but I don't even mess with it now for clads. I was watching a special on those Coin Star machines at grocery stores where you dump your change in. They showed the factory and they not only clean and polish the coins, but sort them according to condition to trade with the united states treasurey ones that are no longer in good enough condition for circulation. They charge 9 cents on the dollar for you dumping your change into their machines, but I feel that's worth it not to have to polish my clad or roll them and let them do the job.

I do wash my clad with soap and water soaking in a bucket to get any dirt off them, and make sure I pick out any bad coins like ate up zincs or ones that have been struck with a lawn mower. Learned that the hard way, because while the Coin Star is designed to spit out bad coins, washers, and other junk, those really light zincs with a few pits in them can on occassion cause the machine to jam. Not a big deal as the clerk just comes over and opens it up and with a wave of her hand unjams the coins on the toss out wheel, but just the same I don't like risking that, so I make sure any coins that look suspect get sorted out before heading up there, which are usually ate up zincs.

To me it's well worth 9 cents on the dollar not to have to tumble, sort, and roll my change so I'm not too embarassed to use it or cash it in at the bank. Kind'a like taking my dirty laundary to a dry cleaners is the way I look at it. :biggrin: And I don't feel bad about it because of watching that special and that is what Coin Star prides themselves on. They clean, polish, and sort all the change they get. It's the job they are in business to do.