Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thoughts of T-2 so far?

I have been reading the T-2 user posts from you few that have them, Ralph, Scott etc. Seems so far to be a pretty darn good machine. I have a Sovereign Elite and am going to upgrade real soon to either a Sovereign GT or the T2 or perhaps a used Explorer II.

In comparison to these machines what do you guys think of the T2? I know some of you T2 users may or may not have used these other machines so a detailed comparison may not be possible. But seeing how I am pretty much on the eve of a detector purchase I thought I would ask. Wanted last minute opinions.

Thanks for you help.....Joseph

Thanks Scott,

I do agree that the Sovereigns are great machines. I am mostly a coin shooter. I like the old sites where older silver etc. might be lying about. At times I will hit an old demo looking for relics but again mainly coins. I suppose this is why my choices have been narrowed down the way they have.

So being a coin shooter depth is what I am after. Sweep speed doesn't bug me as long as I can go deep. But when I began hearing about the T2 not only going deep but being a fast machine as well, I got intrigued. I already hear it being compared to the Explorer II in the depth department which for me is the depth I am looking for. It seems to me that the T2 will match the Sovereigns or Explorers on depth but ID quicker on top of that.

Joseph,

Personally, I would say either the Explorer or the T2. As you know I have not touched a T2 YET. But, here's my take on the two. I have 5 years of experience on the Explorer. I hunt every weekend when the weather permits. Alot of what suits you is dependant on user preference and the type of sites you hunt.

A couple of thoughts on the Explorer. It's probably one of the best all around detectors out now. It has a nice selection of coils available. 5, 7.5, 8, 10.5, 12, 14, 15, and 18 inch coils plus a few non-traditional sizes like the Coiltek Joey, Platypus, etc. It's just as home detecting in a park as it is in an old iron ridden homesite. As I said in a previous post the Explorer is NOT always my deepest machine. If my 3D GBs above 5 or so my 3D with the 8 inch coil can beat my Explorer with the 10.5 coil in depth. But, if I GBs my 3D below 5 my Explorer is deeper. But, the thing is the Explorer is 'better' in iron so depth is not always the most desireable trait. Naturally, each machine has detected the same area and has found coins the other missed. Another thing I should mention that you've surely heard is that the Explorer has a learning curve. IMHO, there are three different kinds of Explorer users. They are... the user picks up and understands the Explorer on their own with some hours under their belt. The second is the user that need some help and once they're shown what a deep coin sounds like a light clicks on. The last is the user who never seems to grasp the Explorer even when their shown the deepies, etc. I picked up the Explorer after about 2 months on my own. My detecting partner is the last type of user. I have shown him more times than I care to remember what a deep coin or a coin near iron sounds like. We hunted a park in 2004 that had a ton of coins but they were all deep. I dug over 400 wheaties and over 50 silver. I was tripling his finds almost every outing. I am definitely not bragging only making the point that the Explorer can take some hours to learn it and get the maximum potenial out of it.

As far as the T2, I am definitely liking what I am hearing. Respectable depth WITH a quick reset which can help you get those coins close to iron and other trash. DD type coil for more mineralized areas that my 3D with the concentric coil doesn't do well at. Alot of user adjustablility with tones, etc. The downside right *now* is the lack of other coils and unproven reliability but with a 5 year warranty that hopefully is a non-issue.

To be honest, the T2 is going to have it's work cut out for it. Most of the places I hunt I have absolutely pounded. My reason for my interest in it is the respectable depth and quick reset. There are a couple of places that the T2 will be tested that are very difficult places to hunt due to iron or other trash. Depth isn't always an issue for me as much as quick reset. If I find much in any of the areas I hunt I will be like Scott and throughly impressed. BUT, 2 years ago the CZ-3D pulled out some coins in the tamer ground I hunt and I was impressed. That detector is still in my arsenal... :)

-Bill

Thanks Bill,

I'll definitely keep an eye out for any posts you make in regards to the T2. It really is looking to be a deep seeking machine just as the Explorer is. Seems to ID and ID in iron just as well, maybe even better with it's quicker speed. This is just killing me trying to decide right now. I didn't initially think it would be this hard of a decision. I just figure the GT, a used ExploerII and a brand new T2 all cost about the same soooooooooo.......

Glad I got the pros here to seek out for advice ;)

How do you think I feel? I didn't have an intention of buying another machine this year. :stretcher: None of the machines I've looked at lately really were what I was looking for. I was looking at a X50 but the concentric coils aren't as good in depth in most of the areas I hunt. They do good in some of the tamer ground I have but the T2 seems to be what I am looking for. Hopefully the T2 will be a good all around machine like the Explorer but be enough different to make it a worth addition to the arsenal... :) I agree you do have a tough decision. I should mention that if you buy the first generation of Explorer they're known for having problems where the upper shaft slides into the LCD part. The plastic that the upper shaft slides into cracks and makes the coil have a bit of wobble in it. If the weather holds out I might have some thoughts on the T2 next weekend. I am going to order one this week. HH!

-Bill

This is a machine where the user can look at the credentials of the designers and be fairly comfortable with the first generation release. I have been interested from the first reports but am holding off to give it a chance to settle out. I may bite the bullet and go for one in the Spring which is getting here quickly this year.

The bottle cap is a mute point to me as I have dug thousands over the years and just use them as a depth gauge to see how well I am hitting the doing. I have found some really nice coins and thought "well that one cost me 20 bottle caps" which is better than paying cash for it. Ha

I find the ground minerals reading interesting but still really don't see what to do with it. I guess I am the type that needs to have something to set like filters, sweep speed, or something so still find this indicating as just interesting.

I am thinking more of the T2 as a deep seeking machine so really don't care if it has a smaller coil or not.

Cody,
You could use the T2 FE304 reading as a basis to set up a DFX. :lol: I think thats why Ralph got one. Now that he has his ground "mapped out" he can go in with the DFX.

Hey maybe the "new" Whites will ground track, automatically adjust the filters and say in a pleasant voice.... "raise coil.. reduce sweep speed idjit!" The "Deep Pro" preset mode raises all values to max and the voices asks "Is this what you wanted?" (as you beg for mercy) :lol:

I agree. I've looked past it being a first release and looked at the people behind the machine. I've also looked at the posts of some of the people who tend not to be easily biased because they own one. The bottlecap 'issue' is a mute point for me too especially considering I own a 3D and use it regularly... :) I am definitely not bashing the 3D only pointing out that wider notches make you dig more trash. I am very used to digging some trash to get the old coins... which is what you have to do in most of the areas I hunt.

I bought my T2 this morning and will hopefully be able to hunt next weekend. Hopefully, the weather cooperates... watch I buy a new machine and the weather will go to sh**. Anyone in PA can blame me if it does... :rant: HH!

-Bill

With all of the rumor mill comments of late, decided to just wait it out and see what White's has to offer in the way of an upgraded DFX. Maybe by then, Teknetics will have more coils to offer. But on the other hand, if I wait for either, I may be retired by then too. :lol:

Ralph

A detector like the T2 puts pressure on the manufactures to get something out that is "new". I would not expect anything radical with a DFX but more in the line of features and display. When it comes to multiple frequency, IMHO, Whites has it right with something from about 3khz to 15khz so unless a third one is added then I frankly see no reason for more. I do like the graph on the DFX and two axis display on the Explorer so have wondered about a combination of the two displays. I want to see the T2 do great! Make the other guys go ahead and release the new versions they have had on the shelf for a year or so. I use the Explorer for a while then the DFX then the Sovereign with no particular pattern in mind. I have wanted great machine for ultra depth on coins that will beat the DFX and Explorer so that is really what I am looking for. I don't care if it is a DFX11, Explorer111, or T2 as long as I have the fun of going back over those areas I am "just sure" has some deep coins and other goodies and find a few of them.

White's should have held onto Dave Johnson while they had him. If the basic depth capabilities of the T2 had been coupled with the discrimiation and tuning possibilities of the DFX, they would have had a real winner on their hands. As it stands now, what we ended up with is more of a "depth vs. discrimination" battle, with the best attributes of each side in different machines. I think sometimes competition just gets in the way of itself........

Ralph

It seems as if depth and discrimination is like oil and water. I have a gut feeling that the detection of bottle caps, iron, is why the T2 is looking at 15" on a coin. This has been a problem since day one no matter what we read. The deepest machine and modes I have see to date is always with as little discrimination as one can live with.

I find I am more of a trash picker than anything but do like to change the pace and go over some areas looking for that ultra deep fifty dollar gold piece. Ha

Ralpy,I forgot what I was here for. What do you think they are telling us with "New Biaxial" coil design? Is that a new way to say double D?

I think you're right on both counts...... just a new way of saying double-D coil design, to go along with the Star Trek look. And I think the coil may be just as much the blame on the bottlecap issue as the high gain, since double-D designs are known for not being as up to the task of accurate discrimination as a good concentric design.

Oil and water is a good analogy, as we both know the deeper you get, the less reliable the discrimination, and that is especially so with VDI machines. We can have a good depth machine with no ID capabilities, or a good VDI machine that does well within it's inherent limits of target ID range, but so far we really don't have anything that combines both attributes. Good raw depth is kind of like having two good eyes, but throwing discrimination and ID into the mix is like only being able to see out of one in that you sometimes aren't quite sure what you are looking at or how far away it really is.

I think that pretty much boils down the reason I passed the T2 along to the next owner, as it really didn't provide me with anything that I didn't already have in other, more favored machines for depth (X5 and IIb) where deep target visual ID is not going to prove to be reliable anyway, and good VDI was available (for my purposes in trash picking coins and jewelry / target separation) at a much more reasonable price level in the Ace250 with the availability of a more suitable smaller coil.

All things considered, I'm in a fairly comfortable position right now where detector requirements are concerned in that I feel their combined capabilities can accomplish 99 percent of what I need them to do. And I'd much rather be hunting than beating my head against the wall over that last one percent...... ;)

Ralph

<center>[attachment 17344 DSC00006.JPG]</center>

Nice finds. My guess is I will add something in the next 6 months or so but have all I need for now other than some good weather. I was thinking of getting together sometime and showing you some interesting setting with the Explorer11 for heavy trash. Let it warm up and I will drive over when it will work for you.

Sounds good. I think the weather is supposed to be back down into the 20s and 30s here this next week, with a couple of snow days. I guess the groundhog was right.... :lol: Photo is of finds since Jan 1, mostly with the 150/250. 100+ coin count days are getting plumb boring, but I like the rings and silver. Last Sunday week ago brought home 291 coins for the afternoon, mostly clad, a few silver dimes, and a couple of more junk rings. Weather was nice while it lasted.......

Ralph

I live in NJ :) It's been nice hunting the past few weeks :) Oh well guess it should be a littel cold during the Winter. Don't know if you hunt the Jersey Shore or not but if so I would be interested in how the T-2 handles our beaches!

Good Luck with your new toy!!!! I am still on the fence about getting one or not :)

HH

Beachcomber